So awful! I need some moral advice... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Unhappy So awful! I need some moral advice...

Honestly, I never thought I would be in such a moral dilemma about a 1 1/2 inch fish! But here goes....

My biggest Zebra Danio is seriously a terror. He is definitely not full grown, and when I got him, another zebra danio, and a leopard danio together, I thought they would be peaceful fishies. Thats what the sign said! Sheesh. Anyway, I brought them home and noticed right away that he was the biggest, and chased everyone around. I figured it was a territorial thing, and I moved somethings in the tank around. Relentlessly, he went after the smallest of the danios, the leopard. Honestly, I hadn't noticed he was a huge problem until after I added a neon tetra in there with them. He has done fine for the past 4 months, but I don't think he has another 2 days left on him.

About a month ago, I noticed the leopard danio hanging out by the filter. I guess this is a sure sign of bullying, and he was trying to hide. Slowly he stopped eating, moved only when he had to. He died about 1 week ago. Since this, the big zebra has picked on the neon tetra. He was hanging out by the filter, doing the same things. Yesterday, he stopped eating. HE IS KILLING EVERYONE! I'm not sure there is anything I can do for the neon as of now. I doubt he'll make it 3 more days.

What do I do?!?!? I know he will start picking on the other zebra, the other guy has already started not being able to eat (constant chasing) and I feel morally obliged to help him. What should I do? I don't think I can take him back, do I euthanize him for the sake of another, who may bully other fish that come in later? Ugh I don't want to watch the little guy die for no reason.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I love how attached you are to your fish, that's great - most I know wouldn't be.

Can you get a fish bowl to temporarily put one or the other in until you can figure out what to do? Or even one of those "introductory" boxes like they have at pet stores, so whichever one you decide to take out, you can put it in the box in the tank, but it'll be separated from the other?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Hello Earthling

I would personally get another tank or rehome the aggressive fish.

Neon tetras are schooling so you will need at least 6.

What size is the tank? How do you have it set up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have a 10 gallon tank, with not much decorations, a fake plant, 2 WWII "sunken" tanks and stuff. Honestly, I don't want another tank. I have 3 already, and I really don't want to add another one just to accommodate 1 fish that I don't really like anyway.

My attachment started with getting my koi, I love them to death, they a;; have personalities and everything! These fish though, eh, personality wise not so much. But I can't help but love them
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:55 PM
is a little "special"

Acually, I would try getting a bigger tank. My big Zebra Danio sometimes picks on smaller fish, but its not a big problem since my tank is big enough for every to have their own space and get away from each other.
Although danios are small, they are really energetic and like alot of space. Inch-per-gallon wise, you tank sounds big enough but it doesnt really have alot of space it it if fish need to get away from eachother. You could try getting a 20 gal or bigger, and it might help with they aggression if the fish have more space to get away from eachother, and more room to explore and swim around too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sounds like the tank is too small, zebra danios really need at least 20-gallons (and they also do better in groups). It might sound weird getting more danios when yours is a bully BUT that actually helps sometimes! The aggression gets stretched out within the group of danios--plus he has some fish of the same species to interact with (therefore distracting him). Also, definitely get more neons! They absolutely need to be in schools (get at least six).

The other problem is that leopard danios are a bit more timid and fragile compared to zebra danios. You could try getting more leopard danios, too, so you have some strength in numbers. Make sure you have plenty of hiding places and plants as well so they can get away if needed .

If it was me, this is what I'd do:

-Buy a 20-gallon aquarium, a few more zebra danios, a few more leopard danios, and a small school of neon tetras (I'm not a fan of mixing neons with danios like this but you already have a neon so you might as well get a school to keep him healthy).

-Quarantine the new fish (you probably know this but I'm just throwing it out there, pet store fish can sometimes be diseased). Meanwhile, set up the 20-gallon and get it cycled and stable (you can cycle quickly by using gravel from an established tank).

-Make sure there are a lot of hiding spots and plants (real plants are always better but fake works too). The more hiding spots, the less territiorial aggression .

-Add ALL of the fish to the 20-gallon at the same time. Don't add in one group before another (and if you have to, add the new guys first). You don't want your zebra danio to establish territory early and have an advantage (and a reason for aggression).

While this is going on, get a breeder trap and separate the zebra danio from your other fish. Feed the other fish healthy, filling foods (frozen and live foods, in other words) to get them back in shape .

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

^^^^ she said it!^^^
yup, your tank is too small

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yikes. As much as that would be a dream, I definitely don't have the money, time, or space for another tank. I already have 3 in a 'no-pet' house...And even if I could get another tank, I'm not sure the other danio would make it that long. The tetra died yesterday.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 AM
Newborn Pup

I dont think the danio is the problem here.

All the fish you have mentioned are shoaling/schooling fish and have to be kept in groups. When they are kept alone they will either hide away or act mega aggressive (depending on the species). Either way it usually leads to a very short life span as they are constantly stressed.

Also what are your water parameters (ammonia and nitrite)?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
Yikes. As much as that would be a dream, I definitely don't have the money, time, or space for another tank. I already have 3 in a 'no-pet' house...And even if I could get another tank, I'm not sure the other danio would make it that long. The tetra died yesterday.
Then I would stick to keeping small, calm, peaceful fish. Definitely return the zebra danio.

Some species you might want to look into (besides more neon tetras) are cherry barbs, white cloud minnows, celestial danios, cardinal tetras, gold tetras, pygmy cory cats, oto cats (these guys can be on the sensitive side so always test the tank first), pygmy gouramis, guppies, platies, golden wonder killifish (a lot of killifish would work, just research first), and bettas (no males together, though, as I'm sure you know, haha). There are plenty of other species--those are just some you might find on the average trip to the pet store.

One thing I do want to stress, though, is to do your research. Don't ever just rely on the word of the pet store employee. For example, some research would have told you that neons need to be in schools (they do, in fact, often die when kept alone just from the stress) and zebra danios need more space (and should also be in groups).

If you're ever unsure about the compatability of certain species, remember that you could always post here, too . There are a lot of experienced aquarists on Paw-Talk.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, the pet store people told me that both danios and tetras were schooling fish, and so I had bought three of each. The other 2 tetras died quickly, and you know the rest. The sign said peaceful, so I thought peaceful! I will definitely do my research next time. Do you think the pet store would take him back?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Depends on the pet store. Most will, especially since you bought him recently. Just explain the situation.

~Stephanie