Some fishy pics... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Some fishy pics...

Hey all!

I set up my vivarium... well.. it doesn't has a land part yet... but it has water already! and some plants!... anyway... I stole some fish off mom's aquarium and got a pair of guppies to start cicling... I wanted to show you the male guppy I got... he's soooo beautiful!!! I'm so excited! LOL.. anyway.. the fish will probably move back to mom's aquarium once I get the newts... but for now.. I wanted to have some life on my tank... lol... anyway.. here's Mr. Guppy:

His mate has a yellow tail.. I didn't take a pic of her...

Now... here is mom's betta fish... mom had one for over a year that died a couple of weeks ago... and I got this guy around 2 weeks ago for her. His name is Indigo:

This is Indigo's bowl... it's around 1.5 gallon. 8)

And finally.. here is my little baby... he's a freshwater shrimp I also got a couple of weeks ago. I've had him in a small tank (5.5 g) but moved him into the vivarium for now.. he'll go back to the small tank when I get the newts too... I want to get him a friend... but they are extremely rare to find.

Well.. that's all.. my newt tank is a 30g with around 15g of water... and I have the pair of guppies, a rosey red, a zebra, a cory, a harlequin razbora and a scissor-tailed razbora... (I got the guppies and the harlequin razbora today, the rest I stole from mom's tank... lol) if you wanna see pics of them too.. I'll take some. 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 03:08 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

that's a GUPPY?? wow! gorgeous! all the other fish and creatures are very pretty, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 12:58 PM

Your fish are beautiful. I can't believe that's a guppy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

what is a vivarium?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm glad you liked them. 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten76
what is a vivarium?
It's part water part land. Aquarium is all water and terrarium is all land. 8) Since I'm getting Oriental Fire Bellied Newts (or Crested Newts or Spotted Newts... depending on what I find), they need about 1/4 of the tank land and 3/4 water. 8)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congratulations on the new set up, the fishies are gorgeous. I love newts especially oriental fire bellied newts as they are so so cute so look forward to seeing pictures of them when you get them

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:03 PM

Great pics, I love Indigos bowl...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:14 PM

oooh nice fish! I really like the guppy!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. 8) The guppy's tail looks like it's on fire, doesn't it? lol
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long to take some more pics... but here they are!!!!

The setup is not complete yet.. hopefully this weekend I'll add the land part. 8) I'll take even more pics when I do so! This is what I have so far... sorry about the bad light... now I know I should take tank pics during the day... lol Even with the tank light on, it just wasn't right... but when it's done I'll do my best to take the best pictures!!!! It's gonna turn out so cool!!!

You can't see much of the tank here... but here's the setup as it is now... it has around 8-10gal of water right now... hopefully it will go up once I put the land part and know exactly how much I can fill it. The substrate is river sand, which looks so good! I really love how the sand looks.

Here is 1 of the corners. It has a sunken piece of driftwood, which has a mondo grass plant on it. I have no idea what the other plants are called... but the one with the broad leafs is not doing too well.. the one with the tiny leaves all around is starting to root, which is good. 8) In the far corner there is some lucky bamboo, which is doing good too. The thing on the side, with the plastic tube is the CO2 inyection.... I'm planning on placing it on the back, but put it there for now.

Here is a top view... beside those plants, I have some floating plants... one is water lettuce, the other is, I think, duckweed... not sure about it, though...

Here is a floating piece of driftwood, which I plan on leaving it floating like that... I already attached a piece of fern that I found in my backyard attached to a wall. I attached it with fishline the day I set up the tank, today I took off the fishline to see if it had rooted, and it did... so it's completely attached to the driftwood now. 8)

Finally... here are some fish...

Here is the corydora, and the 2 guppies... the male with the red tail and the female with the yellow tail.

Here, the female guppy again, the cherry barb, the zebra danio and the rosey red. I just noticed that I missed the harlequin razbora and the scissord-tail razbora. Next time I take pics, I'll be sure to take pics of them.

Also, I inherited 2 fish from my sister. I don't know what type of fish they are, since I didn't buy them... but she had a betta and those 2 fish, and the betta died yesterday (was over a year old...) and she told me that I could take the 2 fish for my tank. When I get the newts, I'll probably put those 2 fish, along with the harlequin razbora, the guppies and the shrimp in the 5.5 gal I had the shrimp in before, and take the others back to mom's tank. 8)

Well, I hope you liked the new pics. 8)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

that is so awsome. i have always wanted to do something like this. i looked for info on the net, but did not find anything. do you know where i could find more info?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Do a search for "vivariums", "terrariums", "newt enclosures", "newt housing" "floatin island" (really neat idea for a newt setup! but I didn't used unless you consider my floating driftwood a floating island... lol) ect. and you must find some pages about these stuff.. there's a lot of nice ideas out there, and you can pick up the ones you like. But first of all, you have to choose the type of animal you want to house (in case you want to house newts, salamanders, frogs or toads), so you can pick up the type of housing suitable for the animal you want to house (the newts I'm planning on getting need around 75% water, 25% land, for example)
Here are some of the sites I've taken my info on the housing from:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups.shtml
http://www.amphibian.co.uk/bombina.html#house
http://www.newts.org/%7Eswan/herps/herphousing.html
http://home.hetnet.nl/~dresens/housing.htm
http://www.walkagood.vze.com/
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 PM

aww they are all cute!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:53 PM

Wow, haven't posted in a while. Anyway, I have a question about the shrimp. So you're keeping it in its own tank, right? I was thinking of getting a shrimp or two... Mr. George, my betta, died last month, but I'm not too sad because he lived for 2 years and half, and that's at least an average age for a betta...unlike my poor turtle...

Anyway, so, I'm trying not to think about it anymore. I don't think I'm ready yet to get another betta, so....shrimp! I thought it might be a little weird to only keep shrimp but since you're doing it, then I think it's okay. So, do you need a filter with these guys? Or, like with bettas, will cleaning the tank every week be fine? I went to the petstore the other day to get hamster food, and was also checking out the aquatic section of the store. Most of the shrimp there were saltwater, though. Where did you get your freshwater shrimp?

Sorry to hijack your thread!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:55 PM

oooh pretty

Tags
betta fish, hamster food, pet store, pet stores