Something is wrong with one of the tadpoles :/ - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Something is wrong with one of the tadpoles :/

I was wondering if anyone has any advice.

Most of the tadpoles seem to be doing fine. One is almost a frog now, two have both front and back legs, and one is alot smaller and only has back legs so far but seems to be doing fine.

I'm worried about the 5th little guy though! When he started growing his back legs, I noticed that his legs were fatter then the other frog's legs. I decided to just keep an eye on him though. He is still growing his legs, he has his back and front legs, he is still active - but he looks really bloated. It looks like their are pockets of water on his legs, his belly, and the top of his head. I seperated him from the other 4 frogs in case he has something they can catch. I don't understand what's going on with him though, he has been in the same tank, with the same exact conditions as the other 4 and he's the only one that this happened too. The only thing I found online is that he could have dropsy. But then that doesn't seem to make sense, because I'm pretty sure he's had this for awhile and it's just gotten easier to see now that he's a lot bigger.

Does anyone have any ideas, either about what he has, or what I should do??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Oops - sorry - I put this in the aquatic section instead of amphibians, again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Will It Ever Change?

maybe it came from something new added to the habitat? i really dont' know

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Title Thief Victim

Aww I have no idea. I know when i saved my tadpoles from a mudpuddle that maybe its just somthing he was born with? like..humans..some can be ok while one isnt or somthing i dont know. I wish you luck thuogh!

Carissasaurus Rex

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 02:02 PM

perhaps it could be from the water? are you using water softener stuff that takes out the chemicals, etc??? perhaps you didnt' use enough one time? or too much on time?? i really dont know
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 02:52 PM

The first time I heard of dropsy was when my adult frog had a swollen belly and I had to start doing some research. I don't know if it's more or less typical in perimetamorphic animals. I would say that metamorphosis is a pretty stressful time though, and if that particular tadpole had any underlying problem approaching metamorphosis could aggrevate the situation.

There are aquatic-specific, and even reptile/amphibian-specific forums out there where there might be folks that could give a more informed opinion on this. I'm just not sure.

I had to track down a vet when something was wrong with my frog, because I'm just not that familiar with amphibian diseases.

Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

RIP tadpole

Sadly, the littly guy passed away last night. I think he had dropsy due to some kind of organ malfunction. I tried to find a vet, but didn't find one in time that would do anything other then put him to sleep - which I didn't want to do, because he still seemed active and was still eating.

I decided that when they all turn into frogs, I'm only going to keep one, and the other three will go to my brother. He has a 55 gal tank that he's setting up for them so they should be really happy there. You don't think the one I keep will be lonely do you? I read somewhere that they like to have friends, but I dunno.

Tags
doing fine