Something's wrong with my female betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Something's wrong with my female betta

Hey

I have two betta fish, a male and a female, both in a 10gal tank with a seperator down the middle so they can't see each other. I have a heater in the tank since my room temp is usually to cold for them (I use the heater to keep the tank around 78*), I have small filters on each side of the tank, and I do partial water changes about once every 2 weeks or so. I haven't gotten my water tested for awhile though because I live to far from the pet shops.

Anyways, about a week ago I started noticing that my female's, Kanya, belly started growing. At first I thought maybe she was full of eggs again and would just lay them and go back to normal, but that wasn't the case. My next thought was that maybe she's constipated. I think she is? Her belly looks huge but she's still acting normally. And she is pooping, but not much, and it looks weird (it's in big roundish pieces - haha I know probably too much info).

I tried 'the pea trick', but she looks worse now, her belly is even bigger. I also tried going a day without feeding her and that didn't help either.

I read online that she could have dropsy, bloat, swim bladder disorder, or a tumor. I'm pretty sure it's not dropsy or bloat because I've had fish with that before and this doesn't look like it. And her swim bladder seems fine.

I've had her for almost a year, but she's probably much older than that because I got her from a science lab, who got her from a pet store. I feed my fish small amounts twice a day, fast them for 1 day a week, and try to feed them a varied diet. At each feeding I either give them a couple pellets, frozen bloodworms, or frozen brine shrimp. Since I noticed she didn't look normal, I've been feeding her only once a day and only a couple of pellets, because I read that food that is too rich, or feeding them too much, can cause constipation. But nothing I'm doing seems to help. She's still eating and swimming around normally but her belly is still growing.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Sorry I wrote so much, I wanted to give all the details I could in case they can help ppl help me figure out what's wrong with her.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hmm, Michelle it looks and sounds like your doing all the right things.

As i was reading your post you covered everything i was thinking it could be. You gave very good details but it still is hard to say what it could be without seeing her.

Maybe it is age like you mentioned... could be some type of tumor?? As long as she is acting normally and eating when you feed her try not to worry too much.
I would suggest feeding her every other day. I would also forgo any pellets for now. She will be fine that way and maybe give her some extra time to evacuate her little belly.

My friend who breeds and raises bettas has had some in the past that had swellings and then got a little twisted looking as they got older but they did fine, acted normal and were happy, lived for quite a long time. Some even developed a tumor but continued to act normally.They eventually died of old age.
She has also had some that had tumors or had the diseases you covered but then didnt fair very well even with treatment and passed away soon afterward. Some did respond to treatment. Of course lotz depends on how quickly it is caught and treated.

Just keep an eye on your Fishies. I know your taking great care of them.
Maybe the swelling will start to diminish soon or maybe Kanya will just continue be that way as she gets older. Or maybe you will figure out if it is a some type of condition that you will be able to treat successfully.

Old age stinks, doesnt it!?
We and even our pets start to fall apart. BLAH!!

I hope Kanya improves and remains a happy fishie.

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks

I am happy that she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or anything. I'll keep working with her and see if things improve, hopefully she gets better or at least doesn't get any worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I wouldn't say it's old age just yet. That wouldn't cause the bloat unless it really is a tumor...but those are kind of rare.

Try fasting her for a few more days. She can go weeks without food so it won't be a big deal.

She isn't pineconing or anything, right?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Nope no pineconing.

I'll fast her for a couple of days and see if it helps at all.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

whats pineconing mean?

My Furry Family
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It means when the scales look like they are popping out from the body.
You know, like the way a pine cone looks.

Here is a sad example of dropsy that was oviously fatal

Heres a betta with a tumor on its side.

Maybe Michelle will be able to get a good pic of her betta for us.
I hope Kanya is doing better.

Lve Never Fails

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

ic, that makes sense. poor fishies.

My Furry Family
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

How long do you recommend I fast her for? It's been 3 days (I haven't fed her yet today, so today will be the 4th day unless I decide to feed her a little tonight) and she's showing no improvement at all. She's still acting normal and hasn't gotten any worse, but she hasn't gotten any better either. She's begging for food everytime she see's me so I feel bad not feeding her. Do you think it will benifit her to fast her longer or would I have seen an inprovement by now if that was going to help??

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
How long do you recommend I fast her for? It's been 3 days (I haven't fed her yet today, so today will be the 4th day unless I decide to feed her a little tonight) and she's showing no improvement at all. She's still acting normal and hasn't gotten any worse, but she hasn't gotten any better either. She's begging for food everytime she see's me so I feel bad not feeding her. Do you think it will benifit her to fast her longer or would I have seen an inprovement by now if that was going to help??
Is there a way you could get a picture? Is it possible she's just obese? I don't know...

I guess your next step would be to try an epsom salt bath. There is information on epsom salt baths here: Constipation Information and Symptoms @ petfish.net.

Just don't give in and feed her. Honestly, fish beg for food even when they can barely eat anymore. I had a betta go a full month without food...he was fine and lived for years.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:52 PM

aww! hope your fishie gets well soon!!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 AM

My fishy has had the same problem. I have had him for almost 15 months. All of his tank reading have always been wonderful and I keep his 10 gl tank nice for him. The water is heated and its usually around 76 to 78. So he started to get a "bump" on him. I used Marycyn II and followed all the directions, and did the tank cleaning and water change that was to follow per the directions. He has gotten even bigger. I don't see him eat anymore, he gets spurts of energy, and I just feel so bad because I don't think he will make it through this. I sure do love my fishy. Maybe I should try Marycyn again?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hmm, I don't think she's just fat because this kind of came on suddenly, she was fine and then in a matter of a week she was huge. Plus I was feeding my male betta the same exact diet as her and he's not fat or anything.

I'll try to get a picture but I don't know if I can, I always have a really hard time getting good pictures of my animals that live underwater. I don't know if it's me, or my camra, but they usually come out so bad you can't see much.

I'll try some an epsom salt bath later tonight and see if that helps at all, thanks for the link.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Hmm, I don't think she's just fat because this kind of came on suddenly, she was fine and then in a matter of a week she was huge. Plus I was feeding my male betta the same exact diet as her and he's not fat or anything.

I'll try to get a picture but I don't know if I can, I always have a really hard time getting good pictures of my animals that live underwater. I don't know if it's me, or my camra, but they usually come out so bad you can't see much.

I'll try some an epsom salt bath later tonight and see if that helps at all, thanks for the link.
When I take pictures of my fish I turn off all of the lights besides the tank light. I don't use the flash and take the picture at an angle (and not right near the glass) to avoid a glare. Of course I take a kazillion pictures...and end up with a few good ones .

Let us know how the bath goes! Often you have to do it more then once in the same day.

~Stephanie

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I got a few pictures but they're really bad. I don't think they'll help any but here they are...

Tags
betta fish, brine shrimp, male betta, pet shop, pet shops, pet store