Photos! South American Tank - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

South American Tank

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/c...ate-50455.html

Ok this will be my one and only thread for this tank...for now. Just to ask my questions, tank updates,pictures and what not. Anyways....

For those with short attention spans : South American/Amazon River 28 gallon tank set-up, fish,plants and substrate change. Help
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
================================================== ===
Tank Information:

Size: 28.73 U.S gallons
108.77 Litters
23.93 U.K gallons

Measurements: H: 46cm L:75 cm W: 32 cm

Substrate: purple gravel
Decorations and Hides: Terra cotta pots,drift wood,terra cotta gnome head and gratin thing
Plants: various plastic plants

Fish:
4 Black Skirt Tetras (3 small,1 large)
3 Peppered Corydoras

Feeding:
Various tropical flakes,algae wafers,shrimp pellets and fresh food. Occasional tubiflex worms treat.

Biotope:

South American / Amazon River

================================================== ===============
Right now I an seriously thinking of changing the substrate from the ugly purple gravel to some nice smooth,fine black sand (as suggested here).

Question number one: It was suggested that I leave some of the gravel in the tank under the sand (in the back where it would not be as noticeably).Would it be possible to remove all the gravel but leave some in the tank,but in some sort of vessel so it could be easily removed?

Second question. What other fish would be safe to add to the tank? Again I am going for a South American/Amazon River setup with live plants. I'm thinking of getting 3 more corydoras to make a school of 6. (a) Should I get 3 more peppered corydoras or would they also school with another type?(a1)Would Panda cories work? (b) For the rest of the tank what would be another choice of fish for the top and middle portion of the tank?I'm looking at maybe guppies or another type of livebearer.Maybe a pictus catfish but I think that the tank is a bit on the small side for one.Any suggestions?

And my last question for the moment is plants.What types of plants would work in this setup? I don't really want to have to deal with C2O injections and all that - I can do maybe fertilizers and that is as far as I go.

I will be posting more new updates and pictures shortly here. And I will continue to post updates and questions about this tank in this thread so as not to tank up the whole forum with questions.

Thanks.Any comments,suggestions, etc... are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Here's the tank, although I moved it around yesterday.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Part of the Pack

I'm so jealous!! I've always wanted a tank of fishies, but I know I wouldn't be able to maintain a large one Very nice though!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Maybe you could put the gravel in a small filter bag (the kind used to hold filter media, such as carbon) under the substrate. It wouldn't be visible, and you can remove it at a later date .

Yeah, getting more cories would definitely be a good idea. Sometimes cories of different species/varieties shoal, sometimes they don't. You may want to go with the Peppered just to make sure, but there is a chance they'd hang out with some Panda cories.

If it's a South American aquarium, maybe get another tetra species . Neon tetras are really colorful schooling fish that would thrive in a South American environment. You could try a pair of Angelfish instead, but they might not get along with the Black Skirt Tetras. Cherry barbs and rosy barbs are some other fish to look into...although I'm not sure where they live in the wild (but they're adaptable enough that you could keep them in your tank anyways).

I wouldn't recommend a Pictus Catfish, they get pretty large.

What kind of lighting do you have? That will limit your plant choices. Either way, though, you can't go wrong with java ferns. Water sprite, water wisteria, anacharis, anubias, and Amazon swords are some other low-maintenance plants I'd look into...but a few of them won't do well in a low-light set-up.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Thanks for the information. I was waiting for you to come

I'm not really sure what the lights are but there is a sticker that says 'Replace only with Eclipse Bulbs. 18 watts MAX" or something along that line, but 18 watts max. I'm not sure but there's two light tubes things.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 01:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

Nice tank!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
Nice tank!
Thanks.

New Update
Yesterday I added 5 more fish - 2 female fancy guppies and 3 albino aeneus corydoras.

The new cories are doing wonderfully and and swimming around like mad fish always looking for food, and they've brought out the peppered corydoras who are now swimming around a lot more and hanging out with the albinos.And big news... I found EGGS this morning, they're growing fuzz though so I'm going to have to tank them out (checking for good ones first), I'm actually happy that they aren't going to hatch I'm really not prepared at all.But it must be a sign that things in the tank are good.Now that I know I have males and females I'm going to try and breed them later on when I change over to the black sand I want (which I can't find)

The new guppies are going OK, one has some white stuff around its mouth so I moved her to a QT with a bit of salt (aquarium) I'm hoping she'll pull through, it doesn't seem so bad so I hope I caught it in time.Other wise everything's good I did have a scare with one other the peppers but it just got stuck in some of the nasty fuzzy egg stuff while I was cleaning up, it freed it self though and is now swim,swim,swimming with it's new friends.

Other news it one tetra has a name...the one with the JAW is now called 'Dali Llama' the others are still unnamed.HELP.

For now the tank is stocked as much as I want it right now, I'm hoping they'll breed and populate the tank for me.

I took some pictures but the computer doesn't want to upload them, so I'll try again later.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Today's' Pictures

Dali Llama 'Dali' for short. See that jaw, work it

One of the new corydoras

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 04:48 PM
RAT ADDICT

Cuties! I have an albino cory.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Thanks.

New Update
Yesterday I added 5 more fish - 2 female fancy guppies and 3 albino aeneus corydoras.

The new cories are doing wonderfully and and swimming around like mad fish always looking for food, and they've brought out the peppered corydoras who are now swimming around a lot more and hanging out with the albinos.And big news... I found EGGS this morning, they're growing fuzz though so I'm going to have to tank them out (checking for good ones first), I'm actually happy that they aren't going to hatch I'm really not prepared at all.But it must be a sign that things in the tank are good.Now that I know I have males and females I'm going to try and breed them later on when I change over to the black sand I want (which I can't find)

The new guppies are going OK, one has some white stuff around its mouth so I moved her to a QT with a bit of salt (aquarium) I'm hoping she'll pull through, it doesn't seem so bad so I hope I caught it in time.Other wise everything's good I did have a scare with one other the peppers but it just got stuck in some of the nasty fuzzy egg stuff while I was cleaning up, it freed it self though and is now swim,swim,swimming with it's new friends.

Other news it one tetra has a name...the one with the JAW is now called 'Dali Llama' the others are still unnamed.HELP.

For now the tank is stocked as much as I want it right now, I'm hoping they'll breed and populate the tank for me.

I took some pictures but the computer doesn't want to upload them, so I'll try again later.
It's great that the cories are all hanging out . I'm sorry to hear about the guppy, I hope she makes it!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Well I haven't been updating in a while, but I admit it I'm am terrible are keeping any blog like thing.

Update

December 31st 2008

Well I went away for a bit more than a week, leaving my brother and grandma to feed the fish...well that did go so well I came home and the tank was a mess. Rotting food everywhere!!! In the plants on the gravel in the decorations floating, and to top it all off the filter wasn't working.
On a happy note though Black Tail guppy had some babies!!
I removed them and they stayed in a bucket intill today.

I cleaned the whole tank, 50% water change, plants, decorations and part of the filter. I also cleaned the intake grate thing, which was full of crud.I scrubbed the sides of the tank too.

Now it is all clean.

I made a box to save my babies, but I think that the holes are a little to big. Owell they're just asking to be eaten.

I still haven't decided if I will be adding my fish or not, maybe or maybe not.

I have added duckweed, not a South American plant (I think) but it will be the job to help save some babies, plus it was free
Tank Information:

108.77 Litters
23.93 U.K gallons

Decorations and Hides: Terra cotta pots,drift wood,terra cotta gnome head and gratin thing
Plants: various plastic plants and duckweed

Fish:
3 Peppered Corydoras

Feeding:
Various tropical flakes,algae wafers,shrimp pellets and fresh food. Occasional tubiflex worms treat.

Biotope:

Pictures coming soon

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

I did a bad thing. I went to the fish store and came home with 6 lemon tetras, I'm not sure if my tank is over stocked or not.
Anyways I hope good regular water changes will even if out.

Tank Information:
108.77 Litters
23.93 U.K gallons

Plants: various plastic plants and duckweed

Fish:
3 Peppered Corydoras
2 female guppies (plus some little babies)
6 lemon tetras

Feeding:

Biotope:

New pictures I took today of the tank. The duckweed is doing great but the filter output things are pushing it under the water where it gets stuck, so I have to keep freeing it. I made a guard thing but I have no clue how to get it to stay where I want to.

Before I freed the duckweed. (Yes I know it needs a good glass cleaning)

After

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Updates

I've added corkscrew val. and sword to the tank, although I think the corkscrew is dead or dying.

Tank Information:
108.77 Litters
23.93 U.K gallons

Plants: various plastic plants and duckweed,corkscrew val, and sword

Fish:
3 Peppered Corydoras
2 female guppies (plus some little babies)
6 lemon tetras

Feeding:

Biotope:

Fed the fishes a darking beetle pupa

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Betta Bomb

awww, they love's their fresh food! adorable! how do you get that raining look with the green stuff? it looks like a live snowglobe. my knowledge of tanks has been drowned by negligence.im sure there's a simple reason to it
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
awww, they love's their fresh food! adorable! how do you get that raining look with the green stuff? it looks like a live snowglobe. my knowledge of tanks has been drowned by negligence.im sure there's a simple reason to it
The green stuff is a floating plant called duck weed and it just gets pushed down by the filter output.

Thanks