spoiled little Mikey - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

spoiled little Mikey

Mikey is currently our only non-pond fish. Sadly, we lost little guy and Greta eariler this year. So Mikey has a 30 gallon long to herself. But we felt badly and think she could use a friend. So her daddy wanted to get her a larger tank so that having a friend for her would be easier for him to maintain. She is a calico fancy tail. And as you guys know - they really mess up the water. So we ordered a 75 gallon tank with a nice new stand and the top piece as well. Her daddy and I are so excited and cannot wait for it to arrive so we can get her moved in. Jay has already cycled a new canister filter and that is ready to go. He plans on putting the current 30 long underneath so her new friend can be quaranteened properly. Jay still has the old hang on the side filter cycled so the 30 long will also be ready for fishes. We are not sure of the logistics of this move since the new tank is going where the old tank currently is but I am sure we will figure it all out. Maybe we can just use a rubber maid container to put the water from the 30 in as we set up the new tank and then of course put some of that water into the 75 - does that sound okay to you guys?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That sounds fine to me . The advantage of moving goldfish is that goldfish tanks don't typically have as many decorations/live plants/etc. Good luck with the move!

I don't know if you use substrate in your goldfish tanks (I don't, haha) but if you do, adding at least some of the old substrate to the new tank will help it cycle.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

You are right - we don't have any live plants. She only has a tree, a treasure chest and a little turtle. Not much to move. For substrate we are using pretty colored pebbles that we got at Michaels Crafts - they were marked for use in fish tanks. We bought them because she was making me nervous with the smaller gravel. She was constantly looking for food and I was afraid that she would choke. We will be moving the pebbles into the new tank because I love them but Jay is not sure how much bacteria can live in them because they are large and shiny - he feels the bacteria can't grab hold.
Thanks for responding. I always feel better once I hear from you.
Now we are just waiting for the call that it is in.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
75 gallon, calico, fancy tail