Squishy is being a picky eater... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Question Squishy is being a picky eater...

Ive been feeding him red wiggler worms for the last couple months, and all the sudden he decided he doesnt like them anymore.
I usually feed him 2 worms every other day. When I fed him on Wednesday, he didnt want either worms... When I gave him one, he would put it in his mouth and then spit it out like "Eww, I dont want that!" So I have him bloodworms instead. When I fed him yesterday, he ate one worm but not the other.

Is he just being a spoiled picky froggy, or do you think something is up with my water?
He has a 15gal all to his self, I clean it once a month (Drain about 1/2 water with gravel vaccuum), and I have a filter on it thats rated for a 20gal. The waters been fine for years, so I dont think I have a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Hello Earthling

Is it just the worms he is refusing?

Have you tried offering other things?

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Test the water and post your parameters, maybe something's amiss. Has the temperature changed at all?

If everything is ok, I'd just feed him other things and make sure he's eating normally.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

He is eating bloodworms, but just not the earth worms.
Will do. I admit I havent really been keeping track of the temps but my bed room gets fairly warm in the summer. We dont always have the AC on, so maybe the temps are bothering him.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

OK here:
The temp is 80*F (A little high, I know...)
0 Nitrite
~8.0 PH
My water has always been really hard with high alkalinity, so thats normal.

The Nitrate is confusing me though... I have the test strips, and after 1 minute it said the nitrate was about 10-25, but now its saying its 25-50 but Im not sure how accurate it is since its been longer than a minute? Bleh. These things confuse me...

Should I do a small water change?

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is he eating anything else? I can't remember what else you feed him (pellets? crickets?).

Yeah, the temperature could be bothering him a bit.

Did you test ammonia? As for the strips, they're horribly inaccurate so it's hard to say. Did the directions say anything about how long you're supposed to wait? Some of them say to wait a minute for the color to develop (and in that case, the latter reading would be your true one) I'd get a drip test or bring in a sample to a pet store if possible.

I think the strip tests are ok for a quick check sort of thing...but they should then be confirmed with drip tests. I've had test strips tell me that distilled water had a pH of 5.0 .

When in doubt, always do a water change . See if you can lower your nitrate a bit. Either way, a lot of animals just feel better after a water change--so it might perk him up a bit.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Do you know if there is any way I can lower the water temp? I have a heater, but not a cooler LOL.
My strips dont test for ammonia, unfortunatley. Ill see what the pet stores test with, but I have a feeling that they use the strips too.

Ill do a water change in the next couple days then

Oh, and I usually just feed him blood worms and earth worms. I have turtle pellets too, but he has a hard time finding those. I dont really buy crickets anymore, so he hasnt gotten any of those for a while.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Do you know if there is any way I can lower the water temp? I have a heater, but not a cooler LOL.
My strips dont test for ammonia, unfortunatley. Ill see what the pet stores test with, but I have a feeling that they use the strips too.

Ill do a water change in the next couple days then

Oh, and I usually just feed him blood worms and earth worms. I have turtle pellets too, but he has a hard time finding those. I dont really buy crickets anymore, so he hasnt gotten any of those for a while.
Coolers do exist but they're really, really expensive. You can float bags of ice to lower the water temperature . I've been doing that on hot days. Leaving the tank light off will also help (if there is one).

Definitely get an ammonia test, that's one of the most important things to test for. Ammonia spikes happen sometimes (uneaten food, dying plants, a power outage destroying biological filtration, etc.), even in established tanks, and can be lethal if not noticed.

If you end up going to the pet store, maybe pick up some crickets just to see if he eats them? Bloodworms aren't a good staple long-term, as you know, so see if he'll eat something else.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ok. I dont turn on lights unless Im looking at him.
I dont have live plants, and Squishy always eats all of all of his food, so I dont think its ammonia... Better safe than sorry though I guess.

And Ill try the ice bags and some different food. Is there any other frozen food he can have? Like minnows, krill, shrimp, ect? I cant keep crickets available 24/7 for him.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Ok. I dont turn on lights unless Im looking at him.
I dont have live plants, and Squishy always eats all of all of his food, so I dont think its ammonia... Better safe than sorry though I guess.

And Ill try the ice bags and some different food. Is there any other frozen food he can have? Like minnows, krill, shrimp, ect? I cant keep crickets available 24/7 for him.
Well, ammonia spikes can happen for other reasons, those are just some examples . Most likely that's not the issue but you should definitely have an ammonia test around anyways--that's the most important thing to test along with nitrite IMO.

Frozen krill/shrimp would be fine . Tubifex worms and blackworms would also be good--they aren't sold frozen (that I know of) but they're easy to maintain.

Avoid minnows. If you want to feed fish, feed guppies since they seem to lack thiaminase .

~Stephanie

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ok, thanks! Are there any specific kinds/brands of krill of shrimp I should get him?
And Ill pick up some feeder guppies the next time I go to the pet store

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Ok, thanks! Are there any specific kinds/brands of krill of shrimp I should get him?
And Ill pick up some feeder guppies the next time I go to the pet store
I recently picked up some Hikari Bio-Pure Krill and was happy with it. The cubes are literally just the krill, no water or anything. They're not messy to feed like some of the other brands. Other than that, though, they're all pretty much the same--just krill frozen in water . As for the shrimp, I'm not sure. I feed live ghost shrimp to my turtle but that's about it...I don't know about the brands of frozen shrimp.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks, Im pretty sure Ive seen than brand at Petco. Ill definatly look into it, if those are better than bloodworms for him.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ok, you were right- I got my water tested at the pet store (with chemicals) and the ammonia was a little bit high! They said it wasnt, like, dangerously high or anything but I guess it was enough to upset him.
So I came home and changed 1/2 the water. When I was done, I plugged my fitler back in, and it wouldnt start... So I took it apart, and the whole thing was covered in literally a 1/2 inch layer of sludge! Its was SO nasty! So I cleaned the part that sucks up water off (there was a good inch of sludge built up in that), and changed the filter cartridge and added new carbon. I think I know where that annomia came from now!
When I had fish, I could go months without having to clean out my filter... I guess I underestimated the nasty-ness of ACF.

I also picked up some new frozen food- The new stuff is 1/2 bloodworms, 1/2 brine shrimp, and it has some mysis (sp?) shrimp added in it too. So is that, along with worms, a good diet or should I get some more frozen food? They had krill too, but it only came in a HUGE bag and it wasnt in cubes. I think a different pet store sells it in smaller bags, so I can probably get some if you think I should.
Theres a reptile expo tomarow, so they might have some more food there for him. Do you know if ACF can eat small dubia roaches? I wanted to pick some up to breed for Dudley, and Squishy could have some of the babies.

Oh and Ive been floating bags of ice in his tank too. Im not sure if its helping too much though. Im kind of wondering if my thermometer is off too, cause the water sure doesnt feel like 80*F. Can you get a digital therm for aquariums?

Last edited by Jess; 08-14-2010 at 11:47 AM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The thing with African clawed frogs as compared to fish is that they're too messy for simple biological filtration (beneficial bacteria) to support them. So a frog tank needs to be cleaned more frequently than a fish tank (and a turtle tank needs even more cleaning--I completely clean out my turtle tub once a week).

I like to feed a huge variety so I would say feed as many different foods as you can . Some of my fish tanks get like fifteen different foods . But those foods sound great to me. I'm not sure about the roaches but I don't see why not.

Yup, there are digital aquarium thermometers. What kind do you have now? The glass ones have always worked for me but the stick-on ones seem really inaccurate.

~Stephanie

Tags
acf