Squishy's FINALLY getting a 20 gal! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Talking Squishy's FINALLY getting a 20 gal!

After years of contemplating how I am going to fit a 20 long in my bedroom, I finally figured out how to arrange everything LOL. So after I get my geckos situated in their new awesome vivs, moving Squishy over to his 20g is my next project! I just had a couple questions I was hoping for some help with!

Now that I have a bigger tank, would it be worth it to get Squishy a friend? Do ACF actually like company, or do they just tolerate their tank mates like other herps do? I don't really care whether or not I have a second frog, but if they actually like friends I'll keep my eye out for an appropriately sized buddy for him. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Aquaclear 50 filter too to keep it cleaner (I have the 30 now).

And I'm trying to figure out some better lighting for my tank. I have the Marineland Single Bright LED lights now, but my water sprite isn't doing too swell, and my stupid new piece of wood is staining my water with tannins so much that you can hardly tell I even have a light on it. Would the Double Bight one be better? (The 24 - 26" one) http://www.marineland.com/sites/mari...l.aspx?id=3403

And kind of a random question... Is there any way to help filter the tannins out of my water?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't know that ACFs enjoy company but there's also no real way to know. I think they more tolerate other frogs so it's up to you .

That system should work for the lower light plants (and maybe some medium light ones?). Have you considered a T5 compact fluorescent fixture as an alternative? The Double Brite is of course brighter than what you have but it's still not amazingly powerful or anything.

Was the wood boiled first or anything? Water changes and activated carbon should help a lot . Polyfilter might work, too, just cut a piece and fit it into your filter.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

I use to have 2 ACF's living together. I'm down to 1 now unfortunately.

I don't think there's any way to tell for sure how they feel about company. But I will say that when I did have 2 of them, they did spend a lot of time together. I had them in a 50 gal when I had the 2 of them and even though they had plenty of space to go off on their own, they almost always stayed near each other.

I don't know if that was just a coincidence or whatever, but I've heard other owners say that they seem to enjoy company as well. I'm not sure what people base that on so take it for what it's worth.

Now that I'm down to only 1 frog - she doesn't seem to be any worse off on her own. She's doing perfectly fine since her tank mate died. I actually downgraded my one remaining frog to a 20 gal to save on space, so I'm not planning on getting her another buddy. At least not anytime soon.

So I'd say it's up to you, if you want another frog or not. Squishy should be fine either way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks for the input guys!

I don't think I'll make a point of searching for a friend for Squish, but if I happen to see one that would work up for adoption or something I might get it. Michelle, do you think a 20 gal is adequate for two froggies or is something bigger like you had more ideal?

I've been looking at the T5 HO fixtures, but they seem so expensive to replace lights in. I love my LED light because I don't have to mess with bulb replacements! Haha. What is a compact T5?

I didn't boil my wood first, but I soaked it in a bucket and replaced the water daily for over a month before I put it in my tank. It looked like most of the tannins were out at first, but it just got worse when I put it in my tank.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

I liked having the bigger tank when I had 2. Both of mine were girls, so keep in mind that the girls are bigger than the boys anyways. But my 2 were pretty active so I always felt better having them in the larger tank. Honestly I even felt kind of bad moving my single girl to a 20 after her buddy died, but she seems to be doing fine in it. I don't think I'd put a 2nd one in with her in the 20 though. But I don't know how big Squishy is. My girl is huuge.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Squishy is a midget frog for some reason, his body is only about 3 inches long. I'm hoping he will get bigger in the 20 gal!

So when I switch the tanks over, how much of the old water should I put in the new tank? I'm using the old driftwood and plants, old sand and also adding a few pounds of new sand, and I will probably use my old filter for a little bit before I buy a stronger one. I was thinking of saving 5 gallons from the old tank, using new water for the rest, and using Cycle or Safestart.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post

I've been looking at the T5 HO fixtures, but they seem so expensive to replace lights in. I love my LED light because I don't have to mess with bulb replacements! Haha. What is a compact T5?
Yeah, but the bulbs are at least long-lasting (about a year or so, would probably still be useable for plants longer than that). I know what you mean but sadly, LED fixtures just haven't been perfected yet (someday!). You should be OK with lower light plants, though .

I just meant regular T5s, they are compact bulbs, just don't have that in the name . Typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Squishy is a midget frog for some reason, his body is only about 3 inches long. I'm hoping he will get bigger in the 20 gal!

So when I switch the tanks over, how much of the old water should I put in the new tank? I'm using the old driftwood and plants, old sand and also adding a few pounds of new sand, and I will probably use my old filter for a little bit before I buy a stronger one. I was thinking of saving 5 gallons from the old tank, using new water for the rest, and using Cycle or Safestart.
That plan sounds fine to me. Bringing the substrate, plants, driftwood, etc. will help a lot so you should be fine . I doubt you'd have to use Cycle or anything.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."