Photos! Squishy's new "natural" tank! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Talking Squishy's new "natural" tank!

Yup. His tank has always been pretty ugly... I figured that since froggies are gross and dirty and no one would see his tank anyway since it's in my room, it didn't really matter what it looked like.

But then I decided I wanted a pretty fish tank after all, soooo I came up with this!

I ended up getting 2 Java fern plants, and one big clump of Java moss.
His old filter also decided to clog and die at 6:30 AM last weeked, and it exploded water everywhere when I tried to fix it (I still have no idea why!). So I got him a Whisper 40, and it works pretty well! It keeps the water really clean, and holds up to a pretty good amount of clogging too LOL.

So, tell me what you think! If these plants live, I might get some more. Someone who works at this one pet store I go to a lot has a bunch of ACF too, and she said that she puts her plants in little tiny clay pots so her frogs can't dig them up.
I'm thinking about maybe doing something with live plants for my hermit crabs too, but we'll see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The tank looks great! It looks like the driftwood was well cured, too! No tannin issues .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks!!
The water is a little stained now, but it isn't very noticeable at all. I kinda like how it looks, actually... It's Amazon-ish! For my first wood-curing ever, I'm kinda proud LOL!

Oh, and is the filter I got OK? I got it for $25 with a coupon and it is still returnable, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try it.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

very nice

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I think the Whisper should be fine for your needs . They're pretty reliable filters and also large enough to stuff in your own filter media if necessary.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ok, thanks to both of you!

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 PM
laugh often

it looks great.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

Wow your ACF looks really huge! Is it just me or is he bigger than most?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Actually, he is a little smaller than most I think. His body is probably about 3 inches long? He is only in a 15 gallon tank, so he won't get much bigger until I upgrade it. He was pretty tiny when I got him though!
This one pet store I go to a lot has two ACF in their pond, and they are both as big as your hand! They can get huge if you have them in a pond or something.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Adolescent Pup

Wow! I read somewhere that they're basically the same size as African Dwarf Frogs. Definitely answers Sasami's question about my frog Hannibal though, I am sure he was NOT an ACF lol. Big or small, Squishy sure is a chubby little dude. Too cute!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Nope, clawed frogs eat dwarf frogs for breakfast LOL! Not a species that you want to mix.
And thanks!!

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Betta Bomb

Wow, I didnt know they grew according to tank size!! lol Lisa had some before I think the white ones look gross but they're neat to watch! (I must be a princess now or something bc I shiver at the thought of scorps and spideys as pets! )
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Aww, you make Squishy sad! Don't hate on albinos! (LOL, JK! )
Yup, aquatic animals release some kinda chemical into the water that keeps them from outgrowing their tank. I wish I could get a 40 gal or something though... I would love a giant Squishy!!

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

I always thought that was a myth that aquatics grow according to tank size?

I should post a picture of my girls sometime...they are massive!

Squishy is cute. I like the albino frogs. I kind of wanted to get one but then I'd have to set up another tank for awhile until the new frog got big enough to move in with my girls. Maybe someday - for now I'm pretty content with only one tank to clean!

I love Squishy's new set up! Planted tanks are so pretty

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks! Yeah, I wouldn't want more than one tank right now either LOL.
And I'm pretty sure it is true for fish? I know it's a myth for reptiles, but I thought I saw somewhere here that it was true. It makes sense to me, cause I remember seeing a huge difference in size between a fish that lived in my 20 gal, and the same kind of fish that lived in a 55 gal.

Tags
acf tank