startin up a 29 gal - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
there all from walmart.. ive no clue what there made out of, ceramic maybe?
Once the tank is cycled and you are about to get fish I would do a water change and try leaving out the decorations just to see if they are causing the problems. Chances are one of them is leeching something into your water.

To be honest, though, I've never really had any issues with high pH before. The only decorations I usually use are rocks, driftwood, and live plants.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 01:11 PM

Well If you are looking in to Gold fish There is a great website called KOKo's world kokosgoldfishworld.com this is a wonderfill site , it helps not just w/ gfs but tank cycle feeding cleaning and lots of people to help you out!!! Im there also my handel is lisa_belle78 well good luck with your tank!!!
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysmomma
Well If you are looking in to Gold fish There is a great website called KOKo's world kokosgoldfishworld.com this is a wonderfill site , it helps not just w/ gfs but tank cycle feeding cleaning and lots of people to help you out!!! Im there also my handel is lisa_belle78 well good luck with your tank!!!

Thanks i'll check that out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

2 weeks into our cycle..
ph -8.2
ammonia- 2.0ppm
Nitrite - .25 thats good right?
Nitrate- 40.. or 20.. heh that test is really hard to tell, they all look orange to me.. david thinks it was 40 i think it might have been 20..

My Furry Family
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
2 weeks into our cycle..
ph -8.2
ammonia- 2.0ppm
Nitrite - .25 thats good right?
Nitrate- 40.. or 20.. heh that test is really hard to tell, they all look orange to me.. david thinks it was 40 i think it might have been 20..
Yes, that's great! Eventually ammonia will go down while nitrites go up and then nitrites will slowly turn into nitrates. Although I'm sure ya know that .

I totally know what you mean about the nitrate tests, haha. I have the same test and have issues .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

cycling a tank with fish food takes forever
so i tested the water again.. i should of tested it last week but heh.. anyway, heres my results..
Ammonia - 0 there might be some.. but it was def closer to zero than the first mark on the test..
Nitrite - 5.0
Nitrate- 5.0
Ph 8.2
i forget how were supposed to know when the cycle is over, when the nitrites go back down? Also one of the sites i read said not to do water changes until the cycle was complete, cuz it would make it take longer.. but my tanks getting alot of fuzzy stuff on the gravel and fake plants.. i can only assume this is the fishfood settling, should this be cleaned or left alone?

My Furry Family
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
cycling a tank with fish food takes forever
so i tested the water again.. i should of tested it last week but heh.. anyway, heres my results..
Ammonia - 0 there might be some.. but it was def closer to zero than the first mark on the test..
Nitrite - 5.0
Nitrate- 5.0
Ph 8.2
i forget how were supposed to know when the cycle is over, when the nitrites go back down? Also one of the sites i read said not to do water changes until the cycle was complete, cuz it would make it take longer.. but my tanks getting alot of fuzzy stuff on the gravel and fake plants.. i can only assume this is the fishfood settling, should this be cleaned or left alone?
It sounds like you're pretty far along . Yeah, it takes a while to cycle tanks but it's worth having such a healthy enviroment in the end .

When your cycle is complete you'll have no ammonia, no nitrites, and some nitrates. When it seems complete you should still wait a day or two to make sure.

You can clean the fuzzy stuff. You may want to leave in a little but I wouldn't worry too much since you're farther alone in the cycle.

~Stephanie

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

bleh it seems like the nitrites will never go down.. ive tested it a few times now and theres never any ammonia but the nitrites are like the top of the chart.. i wanna fishy waiting sucks..
i still cant decide what i want in the tank.. i was thinking either just getting 2 gold fish..
or getting a heater (cuz our started making funny noises one day and we havent used it since) and getting guppies, neon tetras, platys and a small pleco.. sound ok? maybe some swordtails or barbs.. i dont think i can do barbs tho, cuz they get nippy right?
most of these fish stay small, so how many do you think i could have in a 29 gal tnak without it being too crowded, maybe 10-15?

My Furry Family
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
bleh it seems like the nitrites will never go down.. ive tested it a few times now and theres never any ammonia but the nitrites are like the top of the chart.. i wanna fishy waiting sucks..
i still cant decide what i want in the tank.. i was thinking either just getting 2 gold fish..
or getting a heater (cuz our started making funny noises one day and we havent used it since) and getting guppies, neon tetras, platys and a small pleco.. sound ok? maybe some swordtails or barbs.. i dont think i can do barbs tho, cuz they get nippy right?
most of these fish stay small, so how many do you think i could have in a 29 gal tnak without it being too crowded, maybe 10-15?
Oh, don't worry, that sounds normal . Nitrites take forever to go down but when they do they disapear really fast. Like, one day you'll test and they'll be off the roof and then the next day there are only trace amounts. Then you just wait a couple days to make sure they don't spike again and then you can get fishies.

Two small goldfish would be good...just don't get the comet (feeder) goldfish. Those guys do best in ponds or huuuuge tanks. Instead go for the "fancy" varieties like black moors and orandas .

Neon tetras are awesome. Some people don't have much luck with them...they occasionally die off for no reason. I've personally never had any issues, though. They like to school so it's a good idea to get at least five or six.

Guppies are always nice. I would get at least two so they can be buddies. Some people claim you need to keep them in male/female pairs but I disagree. It's not good for the female to keep having babies constantly and I generally just keep males. Males might nip at each other and other fish if you don't have enough hiding spots so get plenty of plants and decorations .

Platies are one of my favorite fish species. They are colorful, peaceful, and tons of fun to watch. I would get two or three...make sure they are the same sex. If you must mix genders then only have one male and a few females.

I would avoid plecos. Regardless of what some petstore people might tell you they don't do well in smaller tanks. Most species need at least a 55-gallon but many need even more room. They are also soooo messy...you might have problems with water quality. Oh, and most plecos only eat algae as a last resort and end up starving if other foods aren't provided. Overall, they aren't good algae eaters. If you want something to munch on algae I would go with oto cats or apple snails. Avoid Chinese algae eaters...they get big, aggressive, and turn into carnivores.

There is one pleco species that would be fine in your tank and that is the bristlenose/bushynose pleco . So if ya really want a pleco that would be a good one to get. But they are still messy, lol.

Swordtails are a bit bigger then platies but have similar requirements. A pair would be great.

Yes, many barbs are nippy. Cherry Barbs aren't that bad, though. They are shy and peaceful fish that need a nicely planted tank. You can house them singly or in groups. The males turn a bright cherry red when they want to breed.

For your last question it depends on what kinds of fish you decide on. You want smaller fish but some are messier then others and will add more to the bio-load. For example, swordtails and plecos are going to be messier then neon tetras or cherry barbs. You could easily have over twenty neons or cherry barbs but if you had 20+ platies it would be over-stocking. 10-15 fish does sound about right depending on species. If it was my tank and I was picking out of the fish you listed this is what I would do:

Three fancy guppies
Five neon tetras
Five or six cherry barbs
One bristlenose pleco or a trio of oto cats

But if you keep up on water changes, have a good filter, and plant the tank with a bunch of live plants you could easily add a few more fish once the tank is stable .

If you wanted to do more livebearers your stocking list might look more like this:

Three platies
Four fancy guppies
Two swordtails
An apple snail

See what I mean? Depends on the species .

I also just wanted to say thank you so much for being a responsible fish owner and doing fishless cycling. It's also great that you are researching fish and figuring out what you want before buying them. I wish more people were like that.

~Stephanie

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wow, I wrote a lot .

~Stephanie

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

wow you did write alot Thanks im always real surprised when my posts turn out long..but mine are mostly just rambles

i hope the nitrites go down soon, i dont mind taking the time to cycle the tank, i know in the long run (and it is long) its the easiest and cheapest way to do it.. its just that well the fish at walmart have been looking a bit healthier lately, which makes me want fish even more.. altho i still dont think im gonna buy from there unless they have one i really want.. like that goldfish i posted before.. if i had a tank set up for him i woulda bought him, he was soo cute
i think the whole cycle process has kinda put david off fish tho, he was thinking we would buy the tank, let the water run for a day or two then put some fish in it.. which is a common thought i guess.. especially for him, his family never had any pets other than dogs, and his sister had a kitten once.. which bit her or something then she didnt want it anymore.. bleh.

as far as pleco's i wasnt really thinking of them for algee as much as something to help keep the bottem clean, they have some tiny tiny ones at walmart now, which are soo cute, like not even 2 inches long maybe.. dont have to get one tho..it just seems like almost everyone i know thats had a fishtank for a long period of time has had one.. i thought it would be cool to get one and watch it grow..maybe if it got to big i could sell it? and for other fish Tiger barbs are the ones david likes..
i think i would like 3-4 guppys and 3-4 platys, i forgot about them being livebearersas as well, do they breed as easily (or as much) as guppies.. are platys easy to tell the male from females? i'll have to try and look that up.. then maybe some neons..
Do applesnails need any special care?

My Furry Family
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

yay! like right after i posted that, i went to check the water, and it went from top of the charts to like none, jus like you said!
So now i keep feeding the tank like ive been right?
then fishies!

My Furry Family
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:02 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
wow you did write alot Thanks im always real surprised when my posts turn out long..but mine are mostly just rambles

i hope the nitrites go down soon, i dont mind taking the time to cycle the tank, i know in the long run (and it is long) its the easiest and cheapest way to do it.. its just that well the fish at walmart have been looking a bit healthier lately, which makes me want fish even more.. altho i still dont think im gonna buy from there unless they have one i really want.. like that goldfish i posted before.. if i had a tank set up for him i woulda bought him, he was soo cute
i think the whole cycle process has kinda put david off fish tho, he was thinking we would buy the tank, let the water run for a day or two then put some fish in it.. which is a common thought i guess.. especially for him, his family never had any pets other than dogs, and his sister had a kitten once.. which bit her or something then she didnt want it anymore.. bleh.

as far as pleco's i wasnt really thinking of them for algee as much as something to help keep the bottem clean, they have some tiny tiny ones at walmart now, which are soo cute, like not even 2 inches long maybe.. dont have to get one tho..it just seems like almost everyone i know thats had a fishtank for a long period of time has had one.. i thought it would be cool to get one and watch it grow..maybe if it got to big i could sell it? and for other fish Tiger barbs are the ones david likes..
i think i would like 3-4 guppys and 3-4 platys, i forgot about them being livebearersas as well, do they breed as easily (or as much) as guppies.. are platys easy to tell the male from females? i'll have to try and look that up.. then maybe some neons..
Do applesnails need any special care?
If you want something to keep the bottom clean look into cory cats. They are adorable and there are many different kinds. I have three...an albino, a bronze, and a leopard. Like I said, a bristlenose pleco would work but don't get any other kinds.

The thing is, they are kinda like goldfish in that their growth will be stunted in a smaller tank. And just like goldfish the organs will keep growing and well...I'm sure ya know what happens x_x. It would be hard to sell an adult pleco anyways...actually, it can be hard to give one away for free. Most people have smaller tanks and/or find them ugly =/. A lot of people have plecos because petstore employees act like you need one...just so they can make some money.

Tiger Barbs are indeed a bit aggressive. If you keep them in a group (maybe like five?) they shouldn't be too bad, though. I wouldn't keep them with fancy guppies as they might nip at the guppies' fins. They'd probably be fine with platies and swordtails.

Yup, platies breed like crazy just like guppies, hehe. It's really easy to tell males and females apart. Males have a gonopodium which is pretty much like a penis.

Male:

Female:

I would post pictures of my own fish but I only keep males.

Apple snails aren't too tricky. They do need their diet supplemented with vegetables and algae wafers. Snails generally won't tolerate really low pH, either, as their shell will become soft. They need a certain amount of calcium for their shell so either feed calcium-rich foods or offer a cuttlebone occasionally.

Quote:
yay! like right after i posted that, i went to check the water, and it went from top of the charts to like none, jus like you said!
So now i keep feeding the tank like ive been right?
then fishies!
Awesome . Yeah, I would keep feeding the tank until you get fishies and keep testing the water to make sure everything stays stable.

~Stephanie

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

still havent gotten fish for our tank.. we've been so busy lately.. we got a heater the other day tho, cuz i know what kinda fish i want now.. sorta.. so we gotta get the heater going, and steady..
but now david found some rocks and stuff at the dollar store.. so we decided were gonna change out the gravel to more natural rocks.. what would be the best way to do this? will this reset the cycle? im assuming we should leave some of the old gravel in, atleast for awhile? could we put the old gravel in a glass bowl and put it in there? or a net bag maybe?

My Furry Family
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
still havent gotten fish for our tank.. we've been so busy lately.. we got a heater the other day tho, cuz i know what kinda fish i want now.. sorta.. so we gotta get the heater going, and steady..
but now david found some rocks and stuff at the dollar store.. so we decided were gonna change out the gravel to more natural rocks.. what would be the best way to do this? will this reset the cycle? im assuming we should leave some of the old gravel in, atleast for awhile? could we put the old gravel in a glass bowl and put it in there? or a net bag maybe?
Yeah, definately leave in some of the old gravel . I would not take it out for a while...stones aren't as good for beneficial bacteria to grow on so it takes longer.

It's fine to put it in a bowl or bag .

~Stephanie

Tags
algae eater, cherry barbs, cory cats, female betta, fish food, fish tank, gold fish, male betta, neon tetras, tap water, tiger barbs