Stocking a 27 gallon - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Question Stocking a 27 gallon

So right now I have cichlids in the tank (finally found the email from the breeder with the type they are convict cichlids) but they will most likely be going to another home with a 55 gallon tank to them selves and possibly a few other fish soon, so I am looking for ideas of new fish I keep,and I need your guys and gals help and opinions with stocking the tank.

My dad and me are not really beginners anymore as my dad has been keeping fish for years and we have always had fish so we are able to keep fish that need a little me care than beginner fish.

So here are the details of the tank:
-27 gallons possibly a little more,longer than it is tall
-Eclipse filter (built into the hood)
-heater
-gravel (purple in colour but I may change it)
I also have a crap load of decorations but I don't think that really matters,I do have a small piece of drift wood tho, and thats the only wood I have as I'm not paying close to 50.00 for a small piece of wood, so preferably no fish that need the wood.

I was thinking live bearers (guppies,platies,mollies etc...) but I would like to have semi-aggressive fish possibly.Or a community tank with a couple different types of fish.

So one set-up I was thinking about was:
-1 trio of guppies
-1 trio of mollies
-1 trio of cory cats
-a small school of tetras
-some shrimp if I can find them
Or some Endler livebearers if I can find them 2

I can also do a brackish water tank as I have had brackish water fish (they died of an illness from the aquarium store)
I think I mudskipper would be kinda cool but I have only ever seen them once, and I would have to find someone who has them or could get them.

I wouldn't mind having something that also comes of of the water living in the tank (i.e I could have a really big rock or something floating around or protruding out of the water).

My mom whats Angels but they prefer taller tanks, if I am right and my dad want parrot cichlids but that tank not big enough.
Oh and Bingo the BlackSkirt tetra livings in the tank also
What do you guys think?

And here's a picture of the tank now so your can get an idea of how it is.

Last edited by canadiancritter; 06-15-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i really like a betta in with other fish i think they are friendly and pretty, i also wish to have a mudskipper someday and if i could that is the choice i would make.

if i were you i would get a betta, a few guppies, a few platys, maybe some mollies, a snail and some cory cats maybe a few shrimp

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Thanks for the input.

I'm thinking of going with a trio of mollies and another trio of guppies or another livebearer, one or 2 female bettas,a few cory cats and a few shrimp or an ADF if I can't find any shrimp.

Would this be over stocking? I know that the mollies and whatever other livebearer I get will breed but I can find homes for the extras.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The only issue I see with that stocking list is that mollies tend to do best with at least some aquarium salt (I keep my mollies in brackish water, though, personally) while cory cats don't like the salt.

A really pretty but more "difficult" fish is the German Ram. They're cichlids but don't grow large, are peaceful, and do well in softer water. You'd want more plants, though.

Bettas are a lot of fun, you could get a small group of females. The females can be just as pretty as the males if you can get ahold of some nice ones .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

thats true, i have seen many pretty female bettas but i have a male so i can't get em.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Jird Jostler

The fish you said, seem fine to go in your tank, loaches are very good and well - behaved little fishies =]

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
thats true, i have seen many pretty female bettas but i have a male so i can't get em.
I have had success with females amongst 1 male. In my experience it depends on temperament. I had one female for awhile that attacked any other betta she came into contact with, but I've had several females at one time along with a male in a 55 and they did alright
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

think I'm going to skip getting mollies and get some other livebearer.

What else can you put in with Rams? I'm going to be getting a bunch of plants from some guys who sells them.What ones should I inquire about?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 04:13 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
think I'm going to skip getting mollies and get some other livebearer.

What else can you put in with Rams? I'm going to be getting a bunch of plants from some guys who sells them.What ones should I inquire about?
Yeah, I think guppies or platies would work better for the kind of set-up you seem to want .

Rams are really peaceful, easy-going fish so you shouldn't keep them with anything aggressive and/or hyper (by hyper, I mean fish like zebra danios). Neon tetras (well, most tetras in general, actually) make excellent tank mates IMO. Cherry barbs, cory cats, oto cats, and plecos (smaller species like bristlenose plecos) are also good choices for that size tank. I've kept them with white cloud minnows but I'd imagine that in some cases the minnows might get nippy (although I've never had that problem personally).

If you like German rams but would prefer a less sensitive fish then try Bolivian rams. They look pretty similar (just not quite as colorful) and are much hardier. Bolivian rams are more aggressive which can be good or bad depending on the set-up. Since they aren't as shy, they can be kept with some semi-aggressive fish (but it can be hit or miss so I would try to stick to more peaceful species).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Well the people who said they were going to take Roy,Franklin and The Unamed One, seem to have disappeared so its going to take alot long than I expected to turn the tank over to a new setup.

So what I'm thinking is:
-swordtails
-platies
-cories
-shrimp (I FINALLY FOUND SHRIMP)
-live plants
and my one tetra,or should a get a couple more?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Well the people who said they were going to take Roy,Franklin and The Unamed One, seem to have disappeared so its going to take alot long than I expected to turn the tank over to a new setup.

So what I'm thinking is:
-swordtails
-platies
-cories
-shrimp (I FINALLY FOUND SHRIMP)
-live plants
and my one tetra,or should a get a couple more?
I would definitely make sure you get at least a few more tetras since they're schooling fish .

~Stephanie