Stupid Petsmart! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Angry Stupid Petsmart!

The other day I went to Petsmart and I saw this really pretty betta male. I already had a female at home but I wondered if the needed a companion. I didnt know much about bettas so I asked a guy who worked there if it was ok to put a female with a male and he said yea. and now my female betta is dead and Ive had her for a year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sorry that happened.
Males can be with a female when they are both ready and willing to breed with each other but afterwards they do need to be separated or he will harrass her to death.

Its a good idea to always do research beforehand when considering a new pet.

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't trust what the petstore people tell me. Plus, whenever you put a male and female together, they will breed. But yah, there are other fish you can put with bettas. But I've never put two together permanently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm very sorry for your loss . It's never a good idea to listen to pet store employees and most pet stores just want to sell the fish, regardless of whether it's a good choice for your tank.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I would march back there and put across my displeasure, with a manager, for misinforming me leading to the death of my female.

Most (i wont say all) lfs employees are told to sell the fish regardless, and its about time people went and complained, making a point that sorta rot will not be tolerated.

Dog~ Nika (f)
Cats~Scamp (m) & Simvar (m)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 AM
Rodentologist

Unfortunately, this is common with most of the animals sold at Petsmart, not just the fish. It's why I now refuse to stop at store that sell animals.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 PM
RAT ADDICT

This is why I do not listen to what employees have to say.I do my own research.I have had to correct employees with proper info before!

I am sorry you lost your betta.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I'm sorry for your loss Unfortunately getting a job at most pet stores is as easy as getting a job at any store. theres very little these people know when they apply. and unfortunately they tend to make things up as they go. I'm sorry you had to find out they have no idea what there talking about the hard way, I agree with Sharni, i would go back in there and demand to speak with a manager. Tell them what happened and if they try to give you a 'replacement fish' ask them what good that would do, since you cant put it in with the other.. tell them its not about a fish. tell them its about a pet you've had for over a year and died because of one of there not training there employees properly.

My Furry Family
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with Sarah. I would do just what she said.

Lve Never Fails

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Guarded by Waffles

When I was breeding gerbils I had to correct pet store employees a lot. It was so stupid! And get this! They won't hire me because I know more than what I should or some stupid reason!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You think it's ridiculous to buy fish there try reptiles, you wouldn't believe how many times I've told the petsmart people that the setup they have a reptile in will eventually stress it out and kill it!

I've had the same trouble with bettas. I went and bought some telling the folks there I was planning to breed them. They said oh that's hard I put mine together and the male just attacked her. So I said, "well did you raise their temps to between 78 and 80 degrees, do regular water changes and feed them daily alternating pellet and frozen/live food to condition them for a couple of weeks before you bred them?" "Uh, no!" "Did you put their tanks side by side or put the female in the male's tank in a jar or separate container so that they could see eachother and get ready without getting to eachother?" "Uh No!" Okay so basically you did no research before trying to breed your fish and were surprised when it didn't go well and now I should feel comfortable about buying animals from you! Sheesh!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I couldn't get hired in a pet store because I knew too much. I guess they think that if someone in there actually knows something then it will deter people from buying the animal because they'll actually know how difficult it can be sometimes.

Sorry about your fish.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

yea, the petsmart here gives a long survey and they kinda get a good idea if you know much about animals. they won't hire a knowledgeable person because it's all about the money.

when i bought my hamster, the employee was scared to touch him. she was all "oh no, he's gonna bit me." but actually there's supposed to be handled a little so that they can be socialized with humans.

but you should go in and speak to the manager. and let him know you're upset!!

i'm sorry for you loss.

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Guarded by Waffles

so that's why they won't hire me...not like I want to work there anymore but when I was younger they wouldn't hire me and still won't last time I tried to apply!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:00 AM

Lightbulb Ugh pet stores...

I worked for well known pet store chain when I was 17. I knew the "basics" about pet care. Was expected to keep my mouth shut about the care of the animals. One lizard with rot mouth (I had told management to remove and fix it...fell on deaf ears) later infected the rest and they went on selling them. Later (in a group meeting) we were asked what 3 things we would change about the store...Everyone tip toed around that one. My boss then asked me..."#1 Dont sell sick animals #2 better customer service is needed! and #3 Why do we only clean the mouse cages twice a week when there are 80 to 100 mice per cage? It should be once a day if not twice a day" well about two weeks later I was "let go" Sorry about the rant but thought it would shine a light on what happens at "some...not all" pet stores. The best thing to do when you see something wrong is to go over managements head and talk to the "big wigs" not the "manager". Thats the only way to help a company know whats important to you the "consumer" trust me. Just my 2 cents on the topic

Tags
blood worms, female betta, male betta, pet store, pet stores