Tank - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Tank

Well, my bf and I are having to do a little remodel in the basement as I found a 400 gallon tank to house my panther grouper and we are building it into a divider in the wall. Pics when its all done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Hello Earthling

Woot!! Make sure you have a ton of support via the stand and the floor that thing is going to weight a ton.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

How in the world do you fit all of these enclosures in your house?

Very cool, though! I bet he'll appreciate the space!

Now I really want to know...how big will your sump be?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Woot!! Make sure you have a ton of support via the stand and the floor that thing is going to weight a ton.
Oh yeah, we are bringing in professionals who specialize in tanks that big.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
How in the world do you fit all of these enclosures in your house?

Very cool, though! I bet he'll appreciate the space!

Now I really want to know...how big will your sump be?
Lol, no idea some how they fit. Thanks! Oh yeah, is there anything I can put in the 400 gallon with him? I ask cause right now he is small and thats a huge tank lol. Umm I will have to ask my bf on that one lol I just know its a Sump Buddy by ETSS?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysangel View Post
Lol, no idea some how they fit. Thanks! Oh yeah, is there anything I can put in the 400 gallon with him? I ask cause right now he is small and thats a huge tank lol. Umm I will have to ask my bf on that one lol I just know its a Sump Buddy by ETSS?
Is it FO, FOWLR, or a reef? That'll change what you can/can't keep.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think it is a FOWLR

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I think it is a FOWLR
Definitely find out for sure (I'm assuming now that you're not the main person who does tank maintenance?) before getting more fish. Certain fish need a reef set-up or at least FOWLR to thrive...others create chaos in those types of systems and should be in FO tanks. Your boyfriend should know what type of tank it is .

~Stephanie

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Definitely find out for sure (I'm assuming now that you're not the main person who does tank maintenance?) before getting more fish. Certain fish need a reef set-up or at least FOWLR to thrive...others create chaos in those types of systems and should be in FO tanks. Your boyfriend should know what type of tank it is .
He said it was a FOWLR. Yeah I care for the fish, he does all the maintenance.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah...make sure there's enough support....we had a 90 gallon explode ~.~ You do NOT want a 400 gallon exploding..
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
He said it was a FOWLR. Yeah I care for the fish, he does all the maintenance.
Look into the various types of triggerfish (they're territorial but you should have plenty of rock work and caves) and lionfish. In general, they're hardy and will also be large enough that your grouper can't eat them. Lionfish sometimes need to be trained in order to accept frozen food--you may have to start a new one on ghost shrimp and/or damsels (never goldfish).

You actually have a lot of options. Basically, you want fish that meet the following requirements:

-Hardy and known to do well in captivity
-Too large/venomous to be swallowed by the grouper
-Doesn't require coral to be "happy"
-Isn't a slow feeder (the grouper will end up taking all the food)
-Doesn't need to graze on algae, Tangs being an example (most FO or FOWLR systems don't have enough, especially new ones)
-Tropical (should be obvious but keep in mind that coldwater fish do make it into the pet trade sometimes)

Just remember that triggerfish bite and lionfish sting--handle with care!

~Stephanie

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Look into the various types of triggerfish (they're territorial but you should have plenty of rock work and caves) and lionfish. In general, they're hardy and will also be large enough that your grouper can't eat them. Lionfish sometimes need to be trained in order to accept frozen food--you may have to start a new one on ghost shrimp and/or damsels (never goldfish).

You actually have a lot of options. Basically, you want fish that meet the following requirements:

-Hardy and known to do well in captivity
-Too large/venomous to be swallowed by the grouper
-Doesn't require coral to be "happy"
-Isn't a slow feeder (the grouper will end up taking all the food)
-Doesn't need to graze on algae, Tangs being an example (most FO or FOWLR systems don't have enough, especially new ones)
-Tropical (should be obvious but keep in mind that coldwater fish do make it into the pet trade sometimes)

Just remember that triggerfish bite and lionfish sting--handle with care!
Thanks for the info! We already have 3 lionfish so that will work out and I don't know how a Scorpion fish do? The bf wants one (I told him they were very poisonous but he still wants it)

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Scorpionfish have basically the same care as lionfish but they're also harder to train onto frozen foods (not too bad, though) and are mostly inactive. Just don't mix them with anything smaller--they'll tend to eat whatever moves (and even if the fish is too big to swallow, they might go after it).

Which species were you guys looking into?

~Stephanie

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Scorpionfish have basically the same care as lionfish but they're also harder to train onto frozen foods (not too bad, though) and are mostly inactive. Just don't mix them with anything smaller--they'll tend to eat whatever moves (and even if the fish is too big to swallow, they might go after it).

Which species were you guys looking into?
We are doing our homework to see who works together best so we don't have conflict.

Tags
400, fish, gallon, tank