Tank questions? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You've gotten advice on the ACF but I wanted to say that a 10-gallon is too small for a group of Emerald cories. They need much more room to swim, I'd consider a 20-gallon long to be the bare minimum. The 20-gallon would still be shallow but honestly, a 25-gallon wasn't too deep either. I think you're forgetting that their environment in the wild is deeper than even very large aquariums .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

everything I have read says a 10 gallon is perfect for a school of cories and that they should not be kept in deep tanks.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
everything I have read says a 10 gallon is perfect for a school of cories and that they should not be kept in deep tanks.
Personal experience tells me that they can survive in a 10-gallon but are never as active or as likely to breed. Knowledge of the species tells me that what we think of as "deep" is not really deep for a fish. Would I recommend a really tall tank? No. But a 25-gallon isn't deep at all.

Emerald cories are also on the large size for cory cats. A school of pygmy cories would do great in a 10-gallon, you just happen to have a larger species.

I don't think you'll end up killing your cories by keeping them in a 10-gallon, I just wish more people (including the people who wrote whatever articles you read since they disagree with the ones I've read) would think in terms of what's good for the fish as opposed to what they can survive in. That's not really aimed at you but more the general public. A 10-gallon is inappropriate for most groups of fish IMO.

If you seriously prefer the advice of online articles to personal accounts then I could probably link you to some. I honestly don't like the idea of keeping cories (besides pygmy species) cramped in a 10-gallon after seeing how active they are in larger tanks . A quick search resulted in a ton of pages recommending 30+ gallons, in fact. So it's not just me being a crazy fish lady .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Thats not at all what I said I just said this is what I read and want to give my pets a good life. the cories seemhappy in the 25 ... but so does Echo he is brighter than ever and this tank is far too small.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
Thats not at all what I said I just said this is what I read and want to give my pets a good life. the cories seemhappy in the 25 ... but so does Echo he is brighter than ever and this tank is far too small.
You said that you wanted to put your cories in a 10-gallon. If that's not what you meant then what exactly did you mean? I guess I'm just not sure what your plans are.

~Stephanie

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I read something you said wrong I thought you meant that I only believed the internet and not you which is NOT true.