Tank questions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Tank questions?

I picked up a 25 gallon today sine after Spots passing I decided to downgrade. I am currently looking for a home for Echo a 25 gallon is too small for him but I dont have space when I move for the 40 gallon which is still too small ugh. So yeah Echo is finding a new home.

After I rehome Echo I am thinking of starting a ten gallon species tank for my Emerald Corydoras. Heavily planted ( Soft plastic plants I cant even keep Java moss alive) And lots of hiding spots and sand for substrate And a 30 gallon in tank filter than I currently have. Any pointers? Does this sound ok? Plus the corys should not be in a tank as deep as the 25.

And as for what to do with the 25 gallon I was thinking a ACF , sand substrate , 50 gallon filter and of course heated. I am not a huge fish fan other than Cory's and Bettas. I have heard they are very interactive. Also the tank would be planted and have a few large terra cotta pots as hides.

I have no other use for it lol. How many are strong enough swimmers to deal with double filtration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 AM
is a little "special"

I don't know much about the corys, but I can help you out with the ACF!

It sounds good, but you don't really need a heater with them. They aren't tropical, and they like cooler water. Between 68-75*F is best for them.
And ACF shouldn't have a very strong current in their tank, because they don't like the vibrations in the water. I actually didn't use a filter at all for a few years for that reason! I think it is better to have one though- Just try to get one that is quiet, and an adjustable water flow is a must. In Squishy's 15 gal, I have an AquaClear 30 filter, and it's the best filter I've ever used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Oh yeah I forgot about that ... Hmm ... I could prob attach a sponge filter to the intake or something ... they are pretty dirty so they need the filtration power.

And it looks like I have someone coming to get Echo from me soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

I'd recommend a filter, since ACF's are pretty dirty in general. Like Jess said they don't like the water movement, so you have to either get a filter that has an adjustable output or try to figure out another way to reduce the water movement.

I personally do use a tank heater in with my ACF's. In the warmer months it's not usually needed but when it's colder out the inside of our house gets pretty cold. If the room you're planning on keeping the frogs in doesn't get too cold then you can probably forgo the heater but if it gets cold like ours does then I'd use one at least in the colder months.

Mine are pretty interactive as far as aquatic pets go I don't know if you meant live plants or fake? I've been having a hard time finding more than a few basic types of live plants that my frogs don't just move around and kill. Even with fake plants don't be to surprised if they dig up the plants and rearrange the tank. One thing I learned with my ACF's is that you can't be too picky about how you want the tank to look, because a lot of times they'll just rearrange if for you. Mine even move around the largish terra cotta pots that I gave them to hide in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Thats fine about moving things I am going to use soft plastic plants I cant keep plants alive any way

And as for my filter I would think fitting a sponge filter over the intake would slow the water flow.

Thats why I want them I love my corydoras thats why I plan on a species tank for them but most fish kind of bore me if i am completely honest.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 03:52 PM
is a little "special"

Squishy has java moss, java fern, and a moss ball that have all been doing really well. He likes to push the moss ball around!
Mine is rooted to driftwood though, so he can't mess with it too much.

And they are definitely more interactive than fish. He will eat out of my fingers, let me "hold" him underwater, and he croaks at night too.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Aww thats adorable Next time i go to the pet store i will ask about slowing water flow.

Anyone have any ideas? My filter works great so I do not want to buy another one.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 PM
is a little "special"

Is it adjustable? Because usually there is a little thing that you turn in top of the tube that will change the water flow. I usually keep mine of the lowest setting.
Otherwise you could tie a sponge or pantyhoes around where the water come out. It might be worth getting a new one that's adjustable though, if yours isn't.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

my filter is less than a year old i bought it brand new and I dont think it has an adjustable flow rate. But I can slow down the water flow somehow I just Dont want to replace a cycled new filter.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Betta Bomb

I don't how to attach it but I think you can just add sponge to the flow out of the water.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I think you use a rubber band or something but a sponge filter adapted I am gonna try.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Betta Bomb

^.^ Are you cycling the tank before hand? Or did you get the ACF? Or just playing around to see what works?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

The tank is cycled my fish have been living in it for months and I cycled it when I got it.

I did not get them I was thinking after I got the cories their species tank I would look into ordering a pair

I want to figure out what I am goin to do before I get them.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Betta Bomb

That's best kind Very responsible ^.^ I was going to get ADF (s) but I don't want to upgrade the 3g I have :/ I'd be screwed if I bought them and then ran into problems
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Thanks I learned a lot from my first goldfish I had to return them after battling ammonia burns for weeks.