Tanks safe while apartment is fumigates for bugs? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Tanks safe while apartment is fumigated for bugs?

I have an odd question. Our building is being fumigated for bugs on tuesday, and I'm not sure what to do about my two aquariums. They're doing a spray bomb in each apartment in unison. The "bomb" goes off and releases a mist cloud, we have to take the dogs and be out all day. But the tanks? A 10gal and 35 gal, with hoods, lights, and filters that hang off the backs. I'll cover over the hoods and tape tightly to prevent any of the stuff from settling on or into the water. But what about the filters? Surely air can get in there, then into the water, then be poured into the tank? Should I/can I unplug the filters so they aren't running until we come home? It would be for 6 hours max. Would the fish suffocate if I did unplug them? Thanks.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Could you cover the filters? I did when we sprayed our house (but we didn't use a bug bomb, just spray).

If covering the filters isn't an option, unplug the filters and use some cheap air pumps (they even have battery-powered ones) to keep the water moving. This isn't ideal as you'd lose some beneficial bacteria, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

I could cover the whole filter with saran wrap, I'm just concerned about any bombed air getting in, you know? I have an air pump but I assume it takes air from the room, so I didn't want to use it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
I could cover the whole filter with saran wrap, I'm just concerned about any bombed air getting in, you know? I have an air pump but I assume it takes air from the room, so I didn't want to use it.
Yeah, that's what I would do. Use layers. As for air pumps, I meant having one under whatever you use to cover the tank. I have a few tiny, battery-operated (so no cord sticking out) ones.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Ok thanks! I'll do layers of saran wrap and do the whole tank and filter like shrink wrap lol. I won't use the air pump because I'd be sealing it in the same way as the filters anyways.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 03:06 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Be very careful using an airpump while being fumigated. They could verywell overheat if they cannot get enough air, and if they can get air they WILL be pulling in air from the room.

Turn everything off, cover completely with plastic wrap, seal it. Then to be sure throw a blanket or such over that.

Honestly i would rather lose some BB than lose the tank of fish.

(i tried the air pump thing and lost $300 worth of fish out of my 5ft tank when the house 1st had to be fumigated, learnt the next times!)

Seal tight - tape as backup, plus blanket cover!

Dog~ Nika (f)
Cats~Scamp (m) & Simvar (m)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Thanks sharni, so you're saying shut it all down (filters too), seal and cover it, and don't use an air pump? That's what I was originally going to do, I just wasn't sure if fish could suffocate that quick.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yep mate thats what i do. Air pump had bad results for me so i definately wouldnt use one, but upto you, it will however be pumping the toxin into your tank.

So its take a chance you MIGHT lose some through suffocation or you WILL lose some through toxins.

My power can go off for over 6 hours and i havent lost anything, i know the tank is sealed but.....see above

Dog~ Nika (f)
Cats~Scamp (m) & Simvar (m)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Thanks Sharni, I just may do what I'd originally planned and shut it all off and seal it up in layers. I won't feed them int he morning so that there's a little less going on. If I leave the tank lights off, will they stay quieter like in a "sleep mode"?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Thanks for all your advice! The tanks made it through safely I layered up the saran wrap and unplugged the filters and shutdown the lights, everything short of vacuum packing it LOL.