tell me about newts ! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Smile tell me about newts !

Fire-bellied to be exact,
How many can live in a 10gallon? I want to eventually get newts,but I had a bunch of sites saved & my favorites are wiped off of my computer [fun,I get to look all over again,kills time at least].
I want to know everything,if they need an heater,can they be housed with fish? A good diet...etc etc!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would say a pair would be great in that size tank . I've never kept them but was going to so I know a ton about them. See, I got the tank all ready for them but suddenly there was like a shortage and I couldn't find them anywhere!

So I ended up getting paddletail newts...which are cuter .

Anyways, the petstore here feeds blackworms but they freak me out so I always fed frozen bloodworms.

And no, newts don't need a heater. Actually they prefer cool temperatures. Don't house them with fish unless you want the fish to be eaten .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Awesomeness!! I never saw pics of paddletail newts...I like the name tho hehe Also they will have a planted tank =P
So newts dont need any special lighting after all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
Awesomeness!! I never saw pics of paddletail newts...I like the name tho hehe Also they will have a planted tank =P
So newts dont need any special lighting after all
Nope, just regular lighting is fine. I would avoid incandescent since it'll heat the water and bother them.

My newts had live plants too and loved them . They each had their own special plant they would sleep in, hehe.

With firebellies remember to have a small land area. When I was setting up the tank for them I got a huge piece of driftwood that stuck out of the water. Paddletails are completely aquatic so when I got them I just raised the water level.

I loved my newts...they became really friendly and would eat out of my hand. In fact, if I left my hand in the water they would sit in it and let me pet them! They were some of my favorite pets ever.

After dinner I'll post pictures of my set up if you'd like .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

tell u about newts?

well, i know they are very cute!!

LOL..i had one a few years back and his name was Herman (firebelly)...when we were moving out of our apartment into our first house i had to leave him there in the apartment overnight.Some one mean knew we werent there and broke in and stole him...tank and all ...i was very sad and very .
I only had him for about a month

When you get one or two or three....hehe...be sure to share pics!

Lve Never Fails

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Sasami - I would love to see your set up! So definately post pics

& I was going to get one of those small turtle docks for a land area for them

luvnature - yup I definately will.But it won't be really soon,after christmas being the earliest! I'm just researching first
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Firstly, I'll post pictures of the newts themselves so you can see what they looked like ^_^.

The set up:

I had two...a male and a female named Rusty and Junior. I adored them .

By the way, remember to cycle the aquarium just like with fish before getting the newts. They can't handle even small amounts of ammonia. Also dechlorinate the water as they are even more sensitive to chlorine then fish! And make sure the water isn't too oxygenated...don't use airstones or anything. Apperently it can cause Gas Bubble Disease which is what I think Rusty might've died from . I still feel awful about it.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/salam...elliednewt.htm

There's some info on that link,just saved that one.I might get a bigger aquarium,these seem easy to keep.
And they're cute little buggers

Your newts were cute & I love your setup !! Thanks for posting .

*Looks at poster* Naruto I love that show !!!

Last edited by candyraver; 11-16-2006 at 05:27 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/salam...elliednewt.htm

Some info on that link,just saved that one.I might get a bigger aquariums,these seem easy to keep.
And they're cute little buggers
Bigger tanks are indeed easier to care for but honestly I don't feel a 10-gallon is that hard.

Oh, and don't use regular gravel because they might swallow a piece by accident and choke. Use larger stones like I had in my tank .

~Stephanie

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

10 gallon is a good sized tank.A decent amount of room to add decoration & not a "big & clumsy" size so easy to clean as well.

Thank you for the tip I'll buy some of those "river stones" for them
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes,I edit my posts a lot...I just noticed in a lot of threads on the bottom I have "Last edited by candyraver ...."

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

I love newts!I had some firebelly newts when I was younger.I had maybe 5 or 6...I cannot remember.I loved the little guys.

ONE tip however...they can be escape artists...learned the hard way...make sure there is a good lid on the tank.They can actually climb up the side of the glass,by sticking themselves in the corners and I have lost 3 of them and found them a couple days later when it was too late...

Stephanie already bet me to the basics... but I agree...use river stones,because they may try eating anything smaller and choke or become impacted.

They have sensitive skin too and so you should wash your hands before handling them,because chemicals from your hands can enter their skin through the pores.Also wash your hands after handling due to the risk of salmonella.

They will eat small feeder guppies,plus you can get commercial newt pellets.They also eat worms and things.

They shed every now and then and in many case will eat their own skin that they shed.If they don't eat it,you can just remove it.

They are really fun pets and I would like some more in the future.Maybe some paddletail newts next time.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

I think i'm going to invest in a 20gal.I would want more than two.They are so adorable

I had newts as a kid too,but I remember nothing on them really .
But wanted some for quite awhile now =D

I'm hoping I can purchase an aquarium that does not have such a big opening for a filter..
the last aquarium I bought came with a filter [not good one,it died fast& the lights were horrid I buy different lights now] But there was a big gap in the back for the filter & It didn't matter because of the fish I had in it before,but it's why I didn't put my hermit crab in that aquarium.They would just climb on out :S

Last edited by candyraver; 11-16-2006 at 10:32 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

do you think a little crab thats maybe an inch long would be ok to add with salamanders?

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:08 AM

I kept my firebelly newts in a tank with fish. They all got along in harmony. I also had one Emperor Newt (he was beautiful) and a Mudpuppy that all lived together. They weren't big enough to eat the fish but I was pretty young so it's possible I just got lucky.

Tags
bigger tank, hermit crab