are these fish compatiable in a ten gallon - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

are these fish compatiable in a ten gallon

hi,i going to go out and buy an all glass ten gallon,with ,water conditioner,undergravel filter ,light,hood,gravel,heater and much more for 24.95 and can i stock 2 platies,5 neon tetras and 2 zebra danios in the tank together also i'am adding live plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Undergravel filters and plants don't usually mix. The roots get all tangled in the filter's plate. Actually, I wouldn't recommend using an UGF as your only source of filtration. Was there a specific reason you wanted that kind? They provide some biological filtration but that's about it.

UGFs actually require quite a bit of maintenance to keep them running correctly. The point is that they circulate water through the gravel and allow beneficial bacteria to colonize there (since they need oxygen) and break down fish waste. The problem is that the filters easily get clogged and then the circulation stops. Before you even notice (since it'll appear to be working fine in most cases) nitrites and ammonia may pop up.

Beneficial bacteria will colonize in the gravel without an UGF and they'll also live in your filter. Which brings me to my next point...get a hang-on-back filter like an AquaClear or Whisper (I prefer AquaClears but they are a bit more expensive. It's worth it in the long run, though.). Those filters aren't really that much money and they do a better job. Not only do they offer biological filtration but they offer mechanical and sometimes chemical filtration as well.

I would actually just keep the platies and neon tetras. Adding zebra danios to the mix would be overstocking and they do better in large schools with room to swim, anyways. I don't like keeping zebra danios in anything less then a 20-gallon. They're really active fish.

You could probably have three platies (of the same gender, preferably female to avoid possible fighting) and then the five neons. The plants should help keep the water parameters stable. Remember to cycle the tank first and add fish slowly. I have a sticky in this section on cycling.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 05:19 PM

Where are you finding all that for 24.95? There's starter kits where I live for $100, which includes everything but the gravel. The only thing I can get for 24.95 is a 10L setup, and even then it's plastic and doesn't have a heater.

Just out of curiosity, because I've always had problems with live plants, do you recommend adding plants before fish or the other way around? As my favourite saying goes, "if it's alive, you've got to care for it." and that means plants, too. The correct lighting and fertilization (in older cycled tanks I've been told you can go without fertilizer) is essential to making sure plants have long life. Plus not having animals that eat them (I've done an oops with applesnails and silverdollars, I'm not sure which got to them first )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookeeper View Post
Where are you finding all that for 24.95? There's starter kits where I live for $100, which includes everything but the gravel. The only thing I can get for 24.95 is a 10L setup, and even then it's plastic and doesn't have a heater.

Just out of curiosity, because I've always had problems with live plants, do you recommend adding plants before fish or the other way around? As my favourite saying goes, "if it's alive, you've got to care for it." and that means plants, too. The correct lighting and fertilization (in older cycled tanks I've been told you can go without fertilizer) is essential to making sure plants have long life. Plus not having animals that eat them (I've done an oops with applesnails and silverdollars, I'm not sure which got to them first )
$100 is ridiculous and a total rip-off. Unless maybe that kit comes with a stand?

I don't know if the second question was for me but I'll answer :p. Definitely add the plants before the fish because they'll help cycle the tank faster and keep things stable when you first get fish.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
neon tetras