Time to Add to the Tank! Stocking Suggestions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Time to Add to the Tank! Stocking Suggestions

Hey everyone. I have a 29G FW tank stocked with 8 harlequin rasboras, 7 albino cories + 5 baby albinos, 2 cardinal tetras (rest of them died off) a GBR and a small pleco.

The top half of my tank is pretty bare and I am looking for a schooling fish that may school with the rasboras. I used to have GWC's (golden white clouds) but they died off after a year and a half. As you may know already, the bottom of the tank is pretty full. I'm looking for top to middle level swimmers with some color, preferably something different than more cardinal tetras.

I have been wanting a gourami but I doubt that would go well with my ram, or any of the other fish as I have seen that gouramis can get aggressive.

Any suggestions? Thanks for reading, I hope someone can answer me. The other thread I started has tons of views but no replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Your tank already looks pretty well stocked to me. Is there a way you can move the ram and maybe a few of the baby cories? Then I could probably make some gourami suggestions . Hatchetfish would also work, they're the definition of top-dwelling fish!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have been thinking about setting up my 10 gal for the baby cories but I don't know about my ram. She is pretty territorial and in her ripe old age (2 yrs lol) she seems to be set.

I bought the rasboras thinking that they would be along the top but they actually stay pretty close to the bottom -_-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Resident Zoologist

See, personally, I would add more, but my 33 gallon is muy overfiltered, and gets 50% water changes every 3-4 days....so although I have some ideas, I would want to know that you tank has tons of filtration and gets very regular water changes.

I would start by moving the Corydoras fry out. I would want to add 3-5 more cardinals and a small school (5-7) of marble hatchets, but that would fully depend on the conditions that I mentioned above.

To get an idea of how a smaller tank can have a big population, you can look at my 33 planted post, but take care to note the filtration, plants, and water changes my tank has.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/t...ium-59654.html

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have a Tetra Whisper 40 on my tank and tons of extra filters: a whisper 60, a biowheel that was used on a 55 gallon and a bunch of 10-30s. I do about 40-50% PWC once a week and I have pool filter sand substrate. I have some (fake, unfortunately) plants along the back but I like to keep open space for the cories.

I also have an empty 10, 20 and 29 gallon but I don't have a lot of room in my apartment as I am setting up shop for 2 critters in what space I have left.

I wouldn't mind setting up my 10 again but it gets drafty in my room and my dwarf puffer died once I moved it in there, even with a heater, from it getting too cold in the winter

I'd add a picture for you guys but I can't until I'm at 20 posts I guess.

PS I love your lighting. Are those T5HO's?

I want to add also that I know about stocking, cycling, and maintenance. I've only been doing this for 2 years but I have learned a lot in that small time

Last edited by logansmomma1228; 08-24-2011 at 11:10 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmomma1228 View Post
I have a Tetra Whisper 40 on my tank and tons of extra filters: a whisper 60, a biowheel that was used on a 55 gallon and a bunch of 10-30s.
OK for your current stock, but Whispers are pretty limited due to their small media volume.

Quote:
I do about 40-50% PWC once a week
Good, that is far better than most people.

Quote:
and I have pool filter sand substrate.
Any particular reason?

Quote:
PS I love your lighting. Are those TH5O's?
Yes, they are the Hagen Glo 36" double bulb HO T5 units...not half bad, but they take only Hagen tubes, so I would suggest buying a brand that takes a more standard length.

Aquarist since 1971

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I like the sand because gravel makes me nervous with my cories as I have heard (read?) that sharp gravel can damage their barbels.

By now I'm annoyed when I clean the tank because sand is much harder to clean than gravel and I find myself wanting to switch substrate, but I would rather make sure they are happy.

I'm really just looking for something colorful to school with the rasboras, something different. I'd like to add some von rio tetras but I am not sure yet, still brainstorming.

Once I am able to post a pic you will see how bare it looks and maybe someone can give me suggestions to help it look fuller plant wise. I have tons of decor but I try and keep it as roomy as possible while still keeping plants for hiding/playing in.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmomma1228 View Post
I like the sand because gravel makes me nervous with my cories as I have heard (read?) that sharp gravel can damage their barbels.
Actually, Cory barbel erosion is more about bacteria than rough gravel....regular water changes fix this, especially with gravel vacuuming. I have my cories on black Flourite, which is far from being even polished gravel, and mine are just fine.

Aquarist since 1971

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Betta Bomb

without researching, a couple years ago I kept corydoras on aquarium sand O.o They never got impacted or sore. Lived a couple years, then I re-homed them to my sister.

Tags
cories, freshwater, rasboras