trumpet snails in brackish? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question trumpet snails in brackish?

hey everyone i have another question but this one isnt really about fish. at home i have a green spotted puffer baby who is temporarily in a ten gallon brackish water aquarium. (i have a 30 gallon set up for him for when he gets a little bigger so dont yell.) i usually bring a few trumpet snails home from work for him and he eats them all up as soon as he sees them. i only bring home about five at a time because im scared if i bring home enough to start multiplying in the tank they will just all die and rot and cause problems. so my question is are trumpet snails ok in brackish water? its half saltwater right now but i change the salinity up every now and then to kill off bad stuff and i find it makes him happy too since the salinity changes alot where hes from too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Trumpet snails can indeed survive and breed in brackish conditions. I'm not sure how well they'd take rapid changes in salinity but they definitely have the capability to tolerate even low-end saltwater conditions.

In all honesty, though, they shouldn't take over if you keep the substrate vacuumed and free of debris, don't over-feed, etc. They can't keep breeding if there's no food for them to eat! Most tanks that get over-run aren't getting enough water changes and/or have uneaten food rotting.

(I've never seen the big deal with snail populations, either, trumpet snails don't cause any harm--they don't eat plants or anything)

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

even if they do start to breed too fast for me to suck out, my puffer eats more than any fish ive ever seen. he will eat until his belly looks like its gonna pop and he will act really happy when it is. but a few hours later it will be back to normal and he will swim at the top when you walk into the room and beg for food again. i only feed him once a day (alot more food than i probly should). so he should eat all excess snails in the tank. i ordered 50 of them for tomorrow and was wondering if i would have to slow drip acclimate them (i hate doing that) or if mixing the water in the bag would be fine? i cant imagine them being that sensitive, but don't want them to all die and cause problems. im already doing a water change every three days to keep up with spot and his buddies.

p.s. again i agree with you, sasami. snails are not only cool to watch and look at but they help eat any rotting waste/algea in the aquarium. and even though they turn around and make it turn into more waste, its more processed and easier to convert to different things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you just mix water, I would do it slowly and give them time to adapt. Sudden changes in salinity can be pretty harsh for invertebrates, even hardy ones.

I haven't personally tried to keep them in brackish aquaria so I'm not sure if drip acclimation is needed. I raise snails separately and drop them in once in a while (I have a GSP too).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
brackish, puffer, snail