Trying to rehome the koi...with no success, or compassion - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Unhappy Trying to rehome the koi...with no success, or compassion

Sasami and I have been talking about the welfare of my koi (they have been sick lately from the insane amounts of ammonia in their tank due to lots of issues) and I have decided to find them new homes. Obviously I want them to find a home with a large enough pond and good filtration system. Anyway...

Oh god. I just went to Petco to try and get some plants, and I was talking to the guy about my situation. After talking to him a bit, he said that Petco could take the koi and they would get sold within hours. I explained that I wanted them to go to a good pond, with adequate filtration and gallon size. I asked him how many gallons he would ask customers to have with 3 koi. He said....200.

I laughed in his face, and then preceded to humiliate him in front of customers. But god, it made me so upset that he is in charge of fish lives. Its true, nobody cares about fish. I called the humane society today to see if they had any numbers to give me for koi rescues, and the lady said I could bring them in. I asked her what she would do with them, and she said she would give them to her boss who had a pond. I said, but what if she doesn't take them? Do you guys have a large enough tank to hold them in until someone picks them up? Well, no...

Ugh. Why is it so hard to find these fish THAT I CARE ABOUT good homes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Curmudgeon

I understand your dilemma.

That's the problem that no one seems to "get", until it's too late.

It's much easier to get any kind of animal you want, ...than it is to find a good home for it.

For people willing to take animals in, they have to know "when to say when" or THEY end up having to get rid or animals, ...or they end up as hoarders.

Sometimes there are no good solutions, ...only bad or worse ones.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah. I feel bad because now its kind of a race against time, getting them to a better, more stable environment.

I bought the first koi with little respect for its life, or the care it needed. I just kind of thought, well, oh well if it dies. These fish mean so much to me now that I couldn't bear the thought of them going to someone like I once was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Hello Earthling

Have you checked with zoos or your local fish club?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh, a zoo would be a good idea! I was also thinking of calling the Portland Japanese garden, they have a few areas for ponds with koi already in them. I'm just wondering, would bigger koi try and eat my smallest koi? He's not that small, but definitely not big...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
Oh, a zoo would be a good idea! I was also thinking of calling the Portland Japanese garden, they have a few areas for ponds with koi already in them. I'm just wondering, would bigger koi try and eat my smallest koi? He's not that small, but definitely not big...

Defiantly try the Japaneses garden. Even if they are small I am sure they have some sort of quarantine tanks or ponds somewhere (since they big koi can be worth thousands of dollars).

Tags
koi rescue, rehome koi