Turtle Tanks Setups! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Turtle Tanks Setups!

Hi, I'm a newbie here and would love to see your Turtle setups! I'm trying to find some online but its not going to well. I have a red eared slider in a ten gallon right now. I no that will def not be big enough for much longer (hes a little bigger than a quarter right now) and plan to get him a 55 gallon soon. So, looking for setups from small-huge. Doesn't matter what kind of turtle you have because I want a lot of different ideas.

Thanks,
Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Adolescent Pup

I do not have a turtle myself so I really cannot help you out with this one, but I think you might get a few more replies if you post this in the reptile forum under turtles & tortises. good luck, and it sounds like your little one will be happy in that big tank. One thing I will mention, although I don't know a lot about turtles, is that maybe it would be beneficial to use a 40gal breeder tank instead of a 55gal because the 40 is a lot wider and there will be more space for him to move around.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

With turtles I actually prefer to use really large rubbermaid-type bins instead of glass aquariums. Aquariums might look a little nicer but they're expensive, heavy to move, and a pain to clean. My camera has no batteries at the moment but my turtle lives in a large bin with a big rock as a basking spot and a cave to hide under (my turtle is a mud turtle and they love caves). A lot of basking lights can be clipped on to the side of the tank/bin. Mine has a broken clamp so I have a screen top laying across the bin that I put the light on. A RES will require a strong canister filter and that shouldn't be a problem in a bin, either.

Since RES turtles are very messy and require a lot of cleaning, definitely look into making a bin enclosure . By the way, I like to keep turtle tanks bare-bottom (no substrate). It makes the tank even easier to clean.

If you do decide to use a glass aquarium, check craigslist for cheap used ones.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sasami- Actually I decided last night that I am going to buy the biggest rubber maid container possible. lol. I can't wait to get him into the biggest one I can find at walmart! For the filter I'm going to make my own. Its so easy and 10x more powerful. Its going to be awesome. Oh and I already don't use substrate for my turtle tank.

Thanks for the replies.

Tags
red eared slider, setup, turtles