Uh-oh, Baby mollies, what do I do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Uh-oh, Baby mollies, what do I do?

So today I noticed that my white molly had died, she was my only female. I also have an orange molly and a black molly, both are males. Well now I went to go feed the fish and I noticed three little babies at the top of the tank swimming together. I checked the tank over very closley to see if there was any more bablie, but I couldn't see any. I didn't want to loose the last three, but all I have is a small plastic faunarium/terrarium, exactly like this one: http://reptilekeeping.net/catalog/im..._faunarium.jpg The problem is that it's broken in a few spots so they can get through it so I can't put it into the tank. I put them in it anyway, but what else should I be doing? How can I give them oxygen and how do I know when and how often to do it. I tried looking it up, but I get different info everywhere. Any advice, please! My first fish babies!

Oh and I put largeish rocks at the bottom of the faunarium/terrarium and fake leafy things...is this a good thing or bad thing?

Last edited by Nikko; 12-22-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I cant help you hun i'm afraid coz i have no experience with baby fish whatsoever but Congrats on the babies i hope you dont lose them xx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx! Well they're still alive so that's good. Where is Sasami? I really need some advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

with my many, many baby mollies lol I just let them be and all of them survived lol...we have alot of plants and rocks and such for them to hide in...for the first batch we did the nursing tank, the fabric that goes inside a regular tank, sort of net like, but it got all gross so quick...I have honestly never lost a baby when I just let them be...good luck on your small one

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx! I'm afraid that if I just let them be they will get eaten like the rest of them. I don't want to loose the last three I have. I actually made my own little net thingy that hangs over the tank. I made it out of a plastic covered hanger and pantyhose. Hey whatever works, right, lol.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

lol if it works thats cool...we bought the little pre made one at the pet store, it was just so small lol and my babies got big fast...good luck with your babies they are pretty hardy little guys and aren;t they just the cutest lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Here's a few pics, not the best quality though.

And an older pic of mommy (RIP)

And this one is either the dad or the black one I have:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Well, you've separated them already, so that's good . I would feed them crushed up fish flakes, brine shrimp, and/or actual fry food.

Other than that, just make sure your water parameters stay stable, as they're quite sensitive to changes in pH and other parameters.

Molly babies are pretty hardy, so they usually do well if they aren't eaten.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx! I crushed up fish flakes, shrimp pellets and tubifex worms and mixed it all together. That's all the types of food I have right now.

I am tempted to keep a Christmas present I got for my little sister though. It's a small sea monkey's thingy, I know they're just brine shrimp, but sea monkeys is cute, lol. I would love to see how my fish react to live food....well I guess they've had some already, but not what I wanted them to be eating and I didn't see it happen.

Tags
babies, fish, fry, mollies