Ummmm... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Question Ummmm...

I am a little confused...

My betta Ice's fins have been appearing to get torn or ripped.He is in a 2 gallon by himeslf and there are no sharp things in the tank.All the years I have had bettas,this has never happened.

It isn't fin rot or anything else...he looks and is acting perfectly normal,but his tail is shredded and now shorter...

Very confused as to how this could of happened!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:46 PM

sounds like fin rot to me
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

The thing is,I have looked fin rot up and it is nothing like that!

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 11:14 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Well I have had a betta with fin rot and his fins looked shredded up, not like what I knew on fin rot from a case with my goldfish. It looks a bit different in bettas sometimes...

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is there a filter in the tank and if so what kind? Are you able to get a picture? What tank decorations does he have?

I would change the water and then add melafix and some aquarium salt.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i agree with Sasami....if there are no abbrasive decorations...then it seems like fin rot could be a possible explaination.....does he seemed stressed or anything....does his color seem to be a little faded?

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

No,there is no filter as he is only in a 2 gallon and I didn't know what filters were best for that.

His decorations are all soft silk type plants and there are some rocks in there,but not sharp.I know not to put sharp objects in the tank!!

His colors are still very vibrant and bright and he is still as active as he always was.It just seems that another fish has been at his fins,shredding them...altho he is alone.

I checked on him today and it don't seem like he is getting better OR worse...he just seems to be the same.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

A few of my bettas recently had fin rot, it can start with just what looks like curled fins or fins looking shorter. I treated them with Maracyn Plus, an antibiotic. I'm now using Melafix and aquarium salt to help make their fins grow in nicely. They are all looking good. Some people just use the Melafix and aquarium salt and it works. I'd change the water a bit more frequently until he is better. Good luck, it's a shame when these beautful creatures look so ragged.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 PM

Is there any plastic in the tank?(i just learned this)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Okay,I will have to go get some of that tommorrow to treat him.Stores are closed now,being sunday and all.I remember seeing that in Pet City.Thanks and I hope I can get Ice back to having beautiful,long,flowy fins again!

* Lisa *

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It sounds like he might be biting his own fins. It's a behavioural problem often caused by stress or boredom (especially if he's never done it before).

To keep him entertained re-arrange his tank and maybe get some new "toys" like plants and hiding spots. Make sure he gets plenty of flaring time and keep his diet varied. If you think stress might be the cause try to find out what's stressing him out...is he near another fishtank or anything?

In the meantime, melafix and aquarium salt is the way to go .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
It sounds like he might be biting his own fins. It's a behavioural problem often caused by stress or boredom (especially if he's never done it before).

To keep him entertained re-arrange his tank and maybe get some new "toys" like plants and hiding spots. Make sure he gets plenty of flaring time and keep his diet varied. If you think stress might be the cause try to find out what's stressing him out...is he near another fishtank or anything?

In the meantime, melafix and aquarium salt is the way to go .
I didn't think they could do that,but it makes sense...and you know what? His tank is right next to the goldfish tank and it seems that this problem only has happened since putting his tank next to it.Do you think that could be causing him stress? Do you think I should move the tank? Should I still treat him for fin rot...JUST IN CASE?

I will add some different stuff,like different plants and hiding areas as you mentioned and he has a mirror by his tank so he can flare whenever he feels like it.I always keep mirrors by my bettas tanks.Always have ever since I got my first bette years ago!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I didn't think they could do that,but it makes sense...and you know what? His tank is right next to the goldfish tank and it seems that this problem only has happened since putting his tank next to it.Do you think that could be causing him stress? Do you think I should move the tank? Should I still treat him for fin rot...JUST IN CASE?

I will add some different stuff,like different plants and hiding areas as you mentioned and he has a mirror by his tank so he can flare whenever he feels like it.I always keep mirrors by my bettas tanks.Always have ever since I got my first bette years ago!
Yup, the goldfish could definately be stressing him out. I'd move the tank and see what happens .

I wouldn't treat him for fin rot...I don't like the idea of medicating if there probably isn't anything wrong. If he had fin rot the edges of the fins would be black. I would, however, use melafix and aquarium salt like I mentioned earlier to help his fins heal.

The mirror is a good thing to use but I actually wouldn't recommend leaving it there constantly. Eventually the betta might get used to it and won't flare as much or will even stop completely. This is bad for the immune system...it's better to instead leave the mirror there for a little while (like and hour or two) each day.

Good luck and keep us updated!

By the way, if it does end up being fin rot then clean out the tank completely with warm water and add aquarium salt and some Jungle Fungus Eliminator.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks!Your a greyt help!!

I have moved the tank away from the goldfish AND the tropical fish and cleaned it out really well.So we shall see.

I also don't like treating my animals if they don't have something or I am not sure exactly.You know? I fear that I may treat them wrongly.

Hmmmm...for all the years I have kept bettas,I have always left the mirror there constantly.I never thought they may get too used to it.I have noticed in past bettas tho,they would stop flaring after awhile.I assumed they realized the other fish was themselves...lol...I will not keep it there from now on,as thats something I never knew.Learn something new every day!

* Lisa *

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appagirl
Is there any plastic in the tank?(i just learned this)
what did you learn.....me curious to know..lol!

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Tags
aquarium salt, fin rot, fish tank, tropical fish