Underfed Fish Need Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Underfed Fish Need Help

Hi, I recently found that one of my Glofish was underfed. He needs help quick. He isn't swimming that much and when he isn't he is usually on the bottom of a cup I put him in. I put bloodworms at the bottom and fish flakes at the top. I saw him eat 1 bloodworm but I want him to swim and act regularly. Please Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You're going to need to provide a lot more info for anyone to help. What size aquarium do you have and what other animals are in there? What are your water parameters (please don't say "good" or "normal", post the numbers) such as temperature, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? When was the tank set up and when did you get the fish? What do you have for filtration? What brand of flakes have you been offering?

Also, was he underfed when you got him or is this a new condition? I wouldn't keep him in that cup, by the way...if anything, place him in a floating breeder net or (ideally) in a quarantine/hospital aquarium.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have 2 other glofish, 1 pleco(small), a 6 gallon tank, and I got him 6 months ago. He seemed smaller than the other ones I have so I think he(or she) is younger. The tank was set up 6 months ago. I have a bubble wand in there, a fresh filter, and a heater. I use the eclipse filtration for the 6 gallon. And the brand of flakes is TetraColor tropical flakes. He is skinny and wont swim much. I also don't have any of the levels such as pH or nitrate. But the other 2 glofish are doing fine I think I just underfed the sick one. I don't have a hospital tank or breeding net. Please help

Last edited by steelThread; 09-08-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I hate to say this but your tank is way overstocked. A 6-gallon can't support much life and isn't good for much besides a single betta, a few guppies, a few minnows, etc. The pleco is messy and will get too large for the tank. I would remove him since he's undoubtedly polluting your water.

The "glofish" are actually genetically altered zebra danios, as you might be aware. Zebra danios are very active fish who appreciate clean, cool, fast-moving water. They're not appropriate for aquariums under 20-gallons, should be kept in large schools, and need a well-filtered, aerated tank.

It sounds like someone gave you poor advice along the way, hence your stocking . The only way to really save the danios would be to get them into larger living quarters and away from the pleco (what kind of pleco is it, by the way?). In the meantime, do frequent water changes and put the sick guy back in the main tank (he will die if you keep him in the cup). Bring a water sample into your local pet store and have them test it, they should do it for free.

The Eclipse tanks are nice but the fish you have are just too large/messy/active. I would consider re-homing the fish/moving them to a larger tank. Then think about stocking the Eclipse with some small, less active fish such as celestial danios, cherry barbs, white cloud minnows, a single betta or pygmy gourami, harlequin rasboras, pygmy cory cats, etc. Not all of those together but you catch my drift. Possible invertebrates could include freshwater nerite snails, amano shrimp, or cherry shrimp.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
glofish, underfed, underfeeding