An update on the Koi - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

An update on the Koi

So it's been a while since I did an update on my 3 Koi, especially since the gill-ripping incident Greg had a while ago.

Greg survived, thankfully, and although it looks like there is defninitely some permanent damage around his gill, he is doing better than ever! He has some permanent bruising (I think that may be what it is) on the gill that ripped, on the other gill around the same area, and it looks like some bruising in his brain. It sounds pretty bad, but he's still his big ol bullying self, pushing Muppet and Nabakov out of the way anychance he can get.

Nabakov is now around 5, maybe 6 inches and is getting more goregous by the day. He looks like a shark, he has the long fins but most of them are black since he is very spotted.

Muppet I am a bit worried about. When we first put them into the 55 gallon, he was the same size as Nabakov, around 3-4 inches. He has not grown much since! He eats so much less than Nabakov, I think he has a hard time digesting his food immediately. While Greg and Nabakov swallow as much as they can as quick as they can, Muppet will eat one or two pieces and then swim away to digest it (crunch it up in their stomachs, its so wierd to listen to!!) but doesn't come back up for more quickly. Some days I help him out by feeding him few pieces at a time, away from the other fish, and he gets so happy! His dorsal goes up and he's the prettiest in the tank! But I can't keep doing this for him, I maybe do it twice a week because it could take him half an hour to eat 5 pieces. Any suggestions?

So, there's an update! I wish I could get some good pictures of them, but its so hard to take pics of a tank without getting a glare, and they're constantly swimming around like crazy. I love them like crazy though, they're so smart and love people. They even love tormenting my roommates wiener dog when he runs after them (their tank is on the floor). Haha. Anyways, thanks for letting me rant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I hope everything is good with them! Glad to hear good news about GREG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

good news it is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Some fish are just more timid. The only thing I can think of (besides feeding him separately or partitioning off the tank during feeding time) is trying sinking foods that he can more easily catch.

The other possibility is that his growth was stunted, either because of the water conditions (if water changes aren't done enough it's common for fish to end up stunted) or genetics (this would depend more on where you got the koi).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Huh, thats crazy! Well, Greg and Nabakov were Wal-Mart fishies, I know its not technically "rescuing" but I will pretend anyway and Muppet was definitely a rescue from Petco, he had gotten swept up in the filter and dumped onto another side where he was hiding in the plants, I can't believe I spotted him!

Maybe the Walmart fishies are the wierd fast-growing ones? I don't mind that he's small, I just think of him as the baby! But I do want him to be healthy

Tags
greg, koi