Violet Goby...@ WalMart - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Violet [email protected] WalMart

I ran up to the WM this morning, they had some Violet Goby/Dragon Fish. The lady told me no one wanted them, there were 8 or 10 of them, about 8" long in a 20 gallon tank. The poor things were gasping for breath, and were housed with FW Crabs, who were eating the dead ones, and even eating the fins of the live ones.

Are these people seriously not trained to see, that even to me, who has owned only goldfish to see that this tank was obviously not large enough for one of these awesome fishes, let alone like 10?

I almost wish that I had a fish tank, just so that I could give them a home! They'll probably all be dead by the end of today!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If it makes you feel better, they probably weren't gasping for breath. Dragon gobies are filter feeders so they pump water through their mouth like that in order to find food (although, sadly, I highly doubt they were being fed properly). They're also rather sedentary and don't need a lot of room.

It's good that you didn't buy them. Dragon gobies tend to do poorly in captivity unless a specialized species-only tank is set up (and even then, it's hit or miss...guess it depends on how starved the fish is already). The best thing we can do is NOT buy them so that there's no demand for the fish (which would mean stores would stop stocking them).

I have to admit, unfortunately, that I tried keeping one once (they're my mom's favorite fish, haha). It did better than most, I suppose, since we got it eating prepared foods and it lived for a year. But a year is a short time for most gobies and I know that it probably died prematurely. I wouldn't try again unless maybe it was the only fish in the aquarium and I had a number of small, live food cultures. I seriously regret getting that fish, I had no idea just how difficult they were.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well that does make me feel a little better. If they are so hard to keep, and I think I know the answer to this....why would WM stock them? They were pretty awesome though! Poor little fellows!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
Well that does make me feel a little better. If they are so hard to keep, and I think I know the answer to this....why would WM stock them? They were pretty awesome though! Poor little fellows!
Because people still buy them . If they aren't selling, like you said, hopefully they won't order them again! I don't see them sold quite as often as I used to around here. PetCo still sells them but our local store is at least marketing them as being brackish (as you're probably aware, dragon gobies need brackish water).

Yeah, they're very neat fish. Maybe in the future people will master keeping them...it would be especially awesome to start seeing some captive-bred ones . Like I said, I got mine to eat prepared foods after a lot of patience (most won't)...but there was obviously something else "missing". I think we need to understand their diet more. I also think they may be better suited to a dark aquarium with lots of hiding places and a deep sand bed--as opposed to the brightly-lit, open aquariums that are common. Either way, target feeding seems necessary (which, believe me, is a pain).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.