Want to start 10 gal fish tank....Sharks - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefunk View Post
3 or 5 (male) zebra danios, 1 (male or female) betta and a shrimp of some sort? Still have plenty of time to make a choice just wondering if this fishy clan would work.
Sounds fine to me except that the betta might eat the shrimp. Depends on the fish but some do. It also depends on what size the shrimp is.

You might want to start with some ghost shrimp (they're usually sold as feeders) just to make sure .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Question Thxs

Cool I'll keep that in mind. Just got my new pump Aqua clear for 5-20 gal...for when I upgrade. Guess the shark tank will have to wait till then Think it was your article that said bettas don't like strong currents is this right and if so would a 10 gal have the space for a betta to avoid the current? Which (small schooling) fish would like if not love strong current?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefunk View Post
Cool I'll keep that in mind. Just got my new pump Aqua clear for 5-20 gal...for when I upgrade. Guess the shark tank will have to wait till then Think it was your article that said bettas don't like strong currents is this right and if so would a 10 gal have the space for a betta to avoid the current? Which (small schooling) fish would like if not love strong current?
If you add some plants, the current won't be a problem at all . I had a 10-gallon betta tank set up that had a pretty strong filter...but because of the plants the water was literally still on one half of the tank. Obviously you don't need the water to be completely still but that really shows how much the plants slow the current down.

Most fish don't mind stronger currents. Bettas are an exception because they normally live in rice paddies (no currents there). Plus we've bred them to have longer fins which make swimming against currents much more difficult. The danios will be fine unless they're of the long-finned variety...in that case you'll want to take the same precautions as you would with a betta.

Most tetras would do well (neon tetras are personal favorites of mine) as would a lot of minnows (I like white cloud minnows a lot. They're really hardy and easy to care for...they don't even need a heater!).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Question

Nice, thxs again.....oh hey i was looking at your other thread and was wondering how you post photos and also how you inserted them so big??? A tad of topic

Last edited by spacefunk; 03-27-2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: type-o-opps i did it again
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You can attach images from your computer by going down to "Additional Options" underneath the actual post box (you'll need to be doing a regular, not "quick", reply by clicking "Go Advanced" first). In the "Additional Options" section, click on "Manage Attachments" and from there you can upload pictures.

Or you could upload the pictures from your computer to a website like http://www.photobucket.com. Then if you want to add a picture, you can just click the button that looks like a photo (between the button that looks like a letter and the one that looks like a speech bubble). When it asks you for your URL, put in the one photobucket gave you.

I hope that helps!

~Stephanie

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

photos

NCMarch3 098abc.jpg did i do it???
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

yay

but why is it so small? Btw that a coy pond at cal poly
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

hehehe.....off topic but had to show this pic

Tags
algae eater, bigger tank, female betta, ghost shrimp, gold fish, local fish store, male betta, neon tetras