we have a snail... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

we have a snail...

theres a snail in the 10gal tank, hes hanging out on the heater.. i would assume he came with the plants.. prolly should have rinsed them better.. didnt think about it, since we were putting them in an empty tank. So now what? Alot of stuff i read said to take him out, and 'dispose' of him.. cuz he will or prolly already has populated the whole tank.. the tank is the one that was ment for my female guppy and her possible future babies.. how much harm would it really do to leave him? i mean would the snails bother the guppies at all? they would prolly eat the plants tho right?

it just seems kinda wrong to just 'dispose' of him..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:23 PM

we used to have snails in our tanks a long time ago and they never did any harm but it might be better to wait for someone else's opinion to go on.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What does his shell look like?

He's most likely a Ramshorn snail: http://www.freewebs.com/stevenmattx2...rn%20Snail.jpg

But he also might be a Pond snail: http://www.bettatude.com/Snails/pond-snail1.jpg

Another "pest" species is the Malaysian Trumpet: http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug_S98.jpg

Pond snails will eat your plants but don't do much damage unless you have a huge number of them. Your guppies will probably be more dangerous for your plants, lol.

Rams occasionally munch on tender-leaved plants but usually they prefer rotting ones, algae, or leftover fish food. Rams don't normally cause any damage.

MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) do not eat live plants...only dead or dying ones. These guys are pretty helpful as they stir up the gravel, eat algae and un-eaten food, and will consume dying leaves before they have a chance to decay. Supposedly they can sometimes clog filters in huge numbers but I've never had that happen. Oh, and they generally don't get out of control...if there's a big population boom it'll be followed by a die-off. Basically, if you don't over-feed your fish you shouldn't have a problem.

Actually, most "pest" snails won't get out of control if you don't over-feed. I wouldn't worry about the one you found just yet. I personally leave pest snails alone now. I haven't had any problems and they can be pretty handy. They'll keep algae off your glass, too. And they are a great live food source for puffers and loaches .

And no, the snails won't bother your guppies.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

its kinda hard to tell as hes so tiny, i think he might be a pond snail, but im not sure, hes so small and he hangs out around the heater so its hard to get a good look at him. You think theres a reason hes hangin out on the heater, or just where he happened to end up? would it hurt him to be picked up?

My Furry Family
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
its kinda hard to tell as hes so tiny, i think he might be a pond snail, but im not sure, hes so small and he hangs out around the heater so its hard to get a good look at him. You think theres a reason hes hangin out on the heater, or just where he happened to end up? would it hurt him to be picked up?
Maybe he likes to feel nice and warm? lol. Snails just like certain spots, it seems. I had some that loved the thermometer.

And it won't hurt him to be picked up unless you squeeze him or something .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

We have snails in our pond but I am not sure if they are pond snails. I bought a big one to help with the algae. I cannot say they ever helped with that but I do think my goldfish and turtle may have eatten them. I was worried about them clogging the pump but that has not happened. I typically find them on the rocks under the water fall and along the stream. I pick them up all the time. I used to try to populate pond with them by moving them from the waterfall and stream to the pond. It didn't work - that is when I realized the fish and turtle maybe eating them.
Good luck with you little friend!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
We have snails in our pond but I am not sure if they are pond snails. I bought a big one to help with the algae. I cannot say they ever helped with that but I do think my goldfish and turtle may have eatten them. I was worried about them clogging the pump but that has not happened. I typically find them on the rocks under the water fall and along the stream. I pick them up all the time. I used to try to populate pond with them by moving them from the waterfall and stream to the pond. It didn't work - that is when I realized the fish and turtle maybe eating them.
Good luck with you little friend!
If you bought the snail and it was decent-sized it was probably an Apple Snail or maybe some sort of Ramshorn.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

i think my little friend has nearly doubled in size since i fisrst seen him.. and i seen some eggs around the tank, but havent seen any more live ones, altho they could be on the decorations or somewhere else i cant see them.. i have noticed 3 or 4 in our 29gal tank, there doing a great job cleaning things up, theres still algea on the the back wall but this morning the tank looks a bit brighter, and clearer. i jus love the lil snails, there soo cute.
are snails sensitive to temperature? i mean, could the snails in my tropical tank go in a goldfish pond?

My Furry Family
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
i think my little friend has nearly doubled in size since i fisrst seen him.. and i seen some eggs around the tank, but havent seen any more live ones, altho they could be on the decorations or somewhere else i cant see them.. i have noticed 3 or 4 in our 29gal tank, there doing a great job cleaning things up, theres still algea on the the back wall but this morning the tank looks a bit brighter, and clearer. i jus love the lil snails, there soo cute.
are snails sensitive to temperature? i mean, could the snails in my tropical tank go in a goldfish pond?
They seem pretty adaptable to me hence the reason they are considered pests . But if they went in a goldfish pond you'd never see them since they are so small.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

so um.. do you know if pond snails need a friend to reproduce? cuz the 10gal tank still only has one snail hes huge, but still just the one.. the big tanks now has atleast 6-7 snails in it.. but the biggest one is about half the size of the one in the 10gal tank..

My Furry Family
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
so um.. do you know if pond snails need a friend to reproduce? cuz the 10gal tank still only has one snail hes huge, but still just the one.. the big tanks now has atleast 6-7 snails in it.. but the biggest one is about half the size of the one in the 10gal tank..
I'm almost 100% sure that pond snails are hermaphrodites. Since they can mate with themselves even if you have one it can reproduce.

What do you mean by huge? Can you measure the big one? I'm starting to wonder if you got a different species o_0. That would be kinda neat.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

hes not like huge like an apple snail or anything.. i measured him threw the glass, and hes about 5/8inch.. from head to tail, his shell might be about 1/2 an inch or so? if i measured right that is hes big enough that i easily see his lil mouth while hes goin to work at the algea on the glass.. its cool.
i think the biggest one in the other tank is about 1/4in
i still dont see any others in the tank with him..

My Furry Family
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
hes not like huge like an apple snail or anything.. i measured him threw the glass, and hes about 5/8inch.. from head to tail, his shell might be about 1/2 an inch or so? if i measured right that is hes big enough that i easily see his lil mouth while hes goin to work at the algea on the glass.. its cool.
i think the biggest one in the other tank is about 1/4in
i still dont see any others in the tank with him..
Oh, okies . Yeah, just sounds like he's an adult.

By the way, you should post a full tank shot .

~Stephanie

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

alright, i have to find the cord for my camera first tho, davids moved everything around on me again

My Furry Family
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 AM

I have a ramshorn snail in my fish tank and he's happy they are mean't to be good for keeping the tank clean!

Tags
fish food, fish tank