Weird Acting Tiger Barb - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Weird Acting Tiger Barb

I had brought a tiger barb to be with the other ones that i have in my tank. i had made a 25% water change before i had introduced him. When i did, he went straight to the floor of the tank and it just layed on the gravel like it was dieing. it finally rejuvinated it self but now it does not eat when its feeding time and just stays in one part of the tank all day, not swimming around. it does not play with the other tiger barbs. what could be the problem?

please help, thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What are your water perimeters? How did you acclimate him? It sounds like he went into shock...maybe it was a big change.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

its a 28 gallon tank. i guess i didnt use the typical precautions,i should have put my tank water in the bag and acclimilate them that way, rather than just floating the bag. but it has been almost a week since then, it shoolf have gone back to normal.

Another question:

What are mating patterns for platys? can i get a guppy and a platy to mate?

thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You should get the water tested...check ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH. Most petstores should be willing to do this for free (chains like PetCo and PetsMart included). It sounds like something might be off.

I'm not sure exactly what you need to know but platies often breed without any human intervention. They can drop fry every 3-4 weeks but it depends on the fish and tank conditions. I wouldn't purposely breed your platies unless you have another tank for the fry.

I have never heard of guppies and platies breeding, I doubt it's possible. If they did then the babies probably would be infertile.

I wouldn't try creating hybrids anyways...you don't know what health problems could arise.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
tiger barbs