What can I do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

What can I do?

My fish was just sitting at the bottom of his tank today. I thought he was dead, but then he moved when I tapped the glass. He just stayed down at the bottom, so I took him out to see what was wrong. He seems to be using just one of his side fins. He can swim, but he's lopsided so mostly just sits there. I don't know how he could have injured it, he's the only fish in the tank. Will he be able to survive?

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It depends on what's causing it in the first place, get your water tested asap.

What kind of fish is this and what's the tank-set up?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

It's a dwarf platy. The tank is small, 1.5 gallons. I've had it for 6 months and everything has been fine up to now. We took a trip in the car yesterday, as I'm on spring break right now.

Maureen

Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
It's a dwarf platy. The tank is small, 1.5 gallons. I've had it for 6 months and everything has been fine up to now. We took a trip in the car yesterday, as I'm on spring break right now.
Dwarf platies don't actually exist...they are simply platies with stunted growth (which means they aren't as healthy). 1.5 gallons is too small to cycle safely in most cases...are you doing 100% water changes?

Since the tank is so small (too small for a platy, to be honest) I would imagine that you're getting ammonia and/or nitrite spikes...both of which are going to be very dangerous for the fish.

What kind of filter do you have? If it's one of those little undergravel filters than it's not doing much.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."