What do you do when disaster strikes? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

What do you do when disaster strikes?

Now that I have been looking at a possible permanent place to stay, I have been looking more into ponds. It got me thinking though, what do you do when a disaster strikes? What do you do during a flood? How about a fire?

Right now I live in an area that floods (not majorly...and rarely enough to do more than saturate the ground) but the area that I love so dearly is in the hills...with fire. I imagine in a severe flood or fire there isn't much I can do but what do you do with your fish (specifically in an outdoor pond) if there is a fire? We have looked into whole house extinguishers for insurance reasons so the pond probably won't be anywhere near the house.

Money isn't an issue by the way. I couldn't care less if I lost money but I do tend to get attached to all pets I have...fish to horse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You really need to move to better place that is less prone to disasters. We're happy hear in higher land of Tampa..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

All you can really do is make a disaster plan & try to stick with it (if you can) in the event of a disaster. I know moving isn't always an easy option for some people. I'd personally love to move but it's just not something we're able to do right now.

I don't have an outdoor pond but when I had indoor tanks I had containers for all my fish, so that if I ever had to evacuate I'd have something to put them in and bring them with me. Whatever you use make sure to keep it somewhere easy to access so you don't have to go nuts looking for stuff in the event of an emergency.

The hardest part about fish is that you'd actually have to catch them to put them into the containers to evacuate them. I guess all you can do about that is hope that in an emergency that you have enough time to catch them before you need to get out of the area yourself. Again, any supplies you need to catch the fish make sure to keep it somewhere easy to access.

If it's a fire, a gas leak, or something like that then hopefully the pond is far enough from the house that they'll be okay. If it's something like a flood, it's been my experience that a lot of times you'll get some warning before a big flood. If they predict flooding or bad storms in your area and you think your pets might be in danger, maybe you could get them ready to evacuate before hand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
You really need to move to better place that is less prone to disasters. We're happy hear in higher land of Tampa..
Ahaha it really isn't that bad except for the fire part. I think I have settled on Goldfish so if there is possible fire in the area, we can have aquariums set up to handle the fish and move them if needed.

Tags
disaster, fire, flood, pond