What do you know about....? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

What do you know about....?

Jelly Bean Parrot Cichlids??

I'm assuming they are aggressive since they are Cichlids, but they are sooooo cute. There is an aquarium store near my house and they have this tank of ~30 Parrots and they just have the cutest faces. I'm thinking about setting up a 55 gal. with tons of them in it?? Have done an aquarium in a few years so I'm going to have to hit the books (aka internet!).

Does anyone know anything about Parrots??

P.S. The tattooed fish at the store just freak me out. Something just seems very wrong about it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

All I know is that I would never buy dyed fish. If you are against tatooed fish then it would be weird to buy fish that are dyed with chemicals....

Maybe you didn't know, but "jellybean" cichlids are first dipped in a solution that strips their protective outer slime coat and then they are dyed. Most of them don't even survive this.

It's pretty sad .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 05:40 PM

now you can get 2 in a 55 no more, they are aggressive and bite when they mature and by chance find a female, males are sterile. you would need a female convict, and jack like that to breed if you choose too. i kept them they ate my guppies and danios, and to clean i had to hold them back with a net to get my hand in there. there throats are what crush the food. i had orange , and a yellow female. really cool til i could not keep nothing with them.

by the way its either acid bath, or injection how they are colored, natural color is grey, or orange. so you get red, orange, there colors should last longer.
http://www.picturetrail.com/specialname look at dyed fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 08:12 PM

i'm so sad to hear they dye fish
fish are (and always should be) beauty's for what they are, not what us humans can do to them (
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarita2004
i'm so sad to hear they dye fish
fish are (and always should be) beauty's for what they are, not what us humans can do to them (
Yeah, it's awful . Some are injected, some are dipped, and others are tatooed. It's crazy...how is it legal?!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:36 AM

Please do not buy dyed fish!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Yeah, it's awful . Some are injected, some are dipped, and others are tatooed. It's crazy...how is it legal?!
no joke!! makes me sick and mad at the same time!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:22 AM
RAT ADDICT

Usually fish labelled with names such as "blueberry","strawberry"...etc are dyed.It is such a sin and cruel and for what? Our pleasure???

I remember the first time I seen a "blueberry" oscar...how sad it made me.Oscars are beautiful fish and don't need this fake color to make them pretty.Reminds me of how humans change their look with plastic surgery...except in the case with the fish,they don't have the choice to go thru with that horrible thing!

Parrots are hybrids anyway and so therefore I am not a fan of them.Only because they are the way they are because of humans.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat

Parrots are hybrids anyway and so therefore I am not a fan of them.Only because they are the way they are because of humans.
Agreed. I'm not a fan of them for that reason as well.

There actually is a true Parrot Cichlid but they are very, very hard to find.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 03:13 PM

I never knew how they got the color till this thread. I saw some "blueberry and Raspberry" tetras the other day and knew it wasnt natural but didnt know how they got that way. That is horrible. Poor fishy