what to feed a apple snail. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

what to feed a apple snail.

hello everyone,
i have had a apple snail for some time now,and i feed it normal fish food, but some ppl say ur supposed to feed it things like lettuce and all that stuff......o yea and how do u know if its a boy or girl....coz i want little apple snails...
Thanx for ur time...

theres a pic of what it looks like...
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pomacea_can_behind.jpg (5.8 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I would feed it lettuce, cucumbers, and things like that. I heard they also like orange slices...

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Wink

Here is a very good link with some information

Apple snails
Below comes from that link under Care and Breeding

Food
Apple snails are very easy when it comes to food and they eat almost anything they can tear pieces off and put in their mouth. Vegetables like cucumber, spinach, carrots and lettuce, fish food, dead fishes, other snails and their eggs, algae, brine shrimps, they eat it all. As mentioned before, Pomacea bridgesii does only eat very soft and dead vegetation and can better be feeded with fish food pellets or with cooked vegetables or canned spinach. Be carefull not to foul the water with these types of food.
The amount of food that is given should be adapted to their needs. In practise this means one should give no more than they can eat before the food starts rotting in the water. A fear for overfeeding is unnecessary, but it might be a good idea to restrict the amount in smaller tanks to avoid excessive waste production.
Because apple snails have large amount of microorganisms in their intestines, to help digesting the food, the water can become cloudy as these microorganisms are expelled with the faeces. This is not directly harmful and can even be beneficial as a food source for you fish. Good filtration and limiting the food supply can reduce this side effect

And here are 2 other good links with info.
Ecology of apple snails (Ampullariidae).
Pomacea bridgesii - Apple Snails - Mystery Snails. How I Take Care of Them, by Karen Lang

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yup, you really need to feed vegetables .

But you can also feed sinking algae wafers...those are another good supplement to flakes.

Make sure you feed calcium-rich foods such as spinach to keep your snail's shell in good shape.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

ok thanx soo much for your help, i thinki do need to buy spinach, coz ma snail has a ugly shell, it s cracked... ....o yea i have another question.....
on my snails antena it has a white lump type thing...does anyone know wat it is???

Thanx

Tags
brine shrimp, fish food