what kinds of guppies could do well in a 5 gallon tank - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

what kinds of guppies could do well in a 5 gallon tank

Hi there, I am not really new to the site by any means but and by no means am I new to keeping fish usually I really like keeping Bettas more then anything but I have taken an interest in Guppies, I am thinking of purchasing a 5 gallon tank fairly soon and I was wondering can I keep any kind of guppies in a tank this size. I wold like to keep it a 5 gallon and I don't care if the number of guppies I can keep in it is a small amount.
I will do whatever is healthiest for the fish was merely wondering if this can or will in fact work in my favor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Hello Earthling

You could do a couple male guppies I think

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would start with two, but you could possibly add another one later on when the tank's totally stable.

Stick to one gender, that way they don't breed.

Just make sure to cycle the tank first and have plenty of hiding spots . I'd recommend at least a few live plants if you can get them...they'll help keep your water quality good.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yeah I certainly think doing two males will be a perfectly fine idea, I am thinking putting in at least one possibly two lil fake cave system thingies, and at least two plants as well.
after letting it cyle for a while I will certainly look into getting two males I think.
sadly I am un sure as to how soon I can do this cuz i am not sure just how soon I can get the 5 gallon tank will vary vastly depend on the amount of money I get in the next two months. I intended for this to be a work in progress so I could leave myself some time to do some research.
Which by the way if any of you have any good places online I can read up on guppies since I have never owned any that would be highly appreciated just to have some reading material on the lil ones.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala83 View Post
yeah I certainly think doing two males will be a perfectly fine idea, I am thinking putting in at least one possibly two lil fake cave system thingies, and at least two plants as well.
after letting it cyle for a while I will certainly look into getting two males I think.
sadly I am un sure as to how soon I can do this cuz i am not sure just how soon I can get the 5 gallon tank will vary vastly depend on the amount of money I get in the next two months. I intended for this to be a work in progress so I could leave myself some time to do some research.
Which by the way if any of you have any good places online I can read up on guppies since I have never owned any that would be highly appreciated just to have some reading material on the lil ones.
I know the feeling, I had a "work in progress" 40-gallon marine aquarium. Took me two years to get everything I needed, but it was worth it in the end!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/guppies.htm

That should keep you busy reading for a while, haha.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
I know the feeling, I had a "work in progress" 40-gallon marine aquarium. Took me two years to get everything I needed, but it was worth it in the end!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/guppies.htm

That should keep you busy reading for a while, haha.
wow kudos to you for doing a marine tank lol I know how much work those tank and frankly its just a little too daunting to me to even attempt maybe some day when I have the space. I am very limited in what kinds of animals we can have in the house cuz this is not my house its my mom's and I want to respect her wishes. And maybe its just me but most marine tanks just seem way huge to me.
I am really looking forward to bringing home the guppies cuz they are such beautiful fish and it certainly something very different for me so it'll nice and challenging.
I am also thinking of getting a little Dwarf Puffer fish at some point too, I would like to try the lil green spotted puffers to is it correct they need at 20 gal tanks that what I thought I heard for their typical size in tanks?
I might start trying to look for bigger tanks like that in the summer like at yard sales I actually have gotten quite a lot of great deals at yard sales as far as fish tanks go.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala83 View Post
wow kudos to you for doing a marine tank lol I know how much work those tank and frankly its just a little too daunting to me to even attempt maybe some day when I have the space. I am very limited in what kinds of animals we can have in the house cuz this is not my house its my mom's and I want to respect her wishes. And maybe its just me but most marine tanks just seem way huge to me.
I am really looking forward to bringing home the guppies cuz they are such beautiful fish and it certainly something very different for me so it'll nice and challenging.
I am also thinking of getting a little Dwarf Puffer fish at some point too, I would like to try the lil green spotted puffers to is it correct they need at 20 gal tanks that what I thought I heard for their typical size in tanks?
I might start trying to look for bigger tanks like that in the summer like at yard sales I actually have gotten quite a lot of great deals at yard sales as far as fish tanks go.
Marine tanks don't have to be huge; my other marine aquarium is only a 10-gallon . However, larger tanks are recommended for beginners and you can do much more with them.

The Dwarf Puffer would be in it's own tank, I assume? You normally can't house them with other fish as they are rather territorial and nippy (your guppies' fins would be prime targets of their biting). That being said, they're really entertaining fish to keep and have a lot of personality. They won't usually eat flakes or pellets, though, so you'd need to feed a variety of frozen and live foods. I highly recommend feeding live snails at least occasionally for any pufferfish because the hard shells keep their teeth worn down (a puffer's teeth grow constantly like a rodent's). The nice thing about Dwarf Puffers is that they're actually freshwater (most puffers in the pet trade are brackish or marine), won't destroy live plants, and can live in small tanks (even a 3-gallon might work for a single puffer).

Avoid the other puffers, especially the Green Spotted Puffers. They're not actually true freshwater fish and need brackish water (brackish tanks are basically between freshwater and marine conditions). When they grow older, they should really be kept in a full saltwater set-up. They're also rather aggressive and shouldn't be housed with most other fish. Like the Dwarf Puffers, they require frozen and/or live foods. For a single Green Spotted Puffer, a 20-gallon might be alright (it's kinda the bare minimum), but I'd go with a 29-gallon personally.

Puffers in general can be sensitive to water parameters, so they need to be acclimated slowly and should never be introduced into a tank that isn't completely cycled.

Basically, puffers are awesome fish, but they tend to need very specific conditions and are rarely compatible with other fish species. Still, if you're really interested in them, research as much as possible and don't hesitate to ask questions .

~Stephanie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Marine tanks don't have to be huge; my other marine aquarium is only a 10-gallon . However, larger tanks are recommended for beginners and you can do much more with them.

The Dwarf Puffer would be in it's own tank, I assume? You normally can't house them with other fish as they are rather territorial and nippy (your guppies' fins would be prime targets of their biting). That being said, they're really entertaining fish to keep and have a lot of personality. They won't usually eat flakes or pellets, though, so you'd need to feed a variety of frozen and live foods. I highly recommend feeding live snails at least occasionally for any pufferfish because the hard shells keep their teeth worn down (a puffer's teeth grow constantly like a rodent's). The nice thing about Dwarf Puffers is that they're actually freshwater (most puffers in the pet trade are brackish or marine), won't destroy live plants, and can live in small tanks (even a 3-gallon might work for a single puffer).

Avoid the other puffers, especially the Green Spotted Puffers. They're not actually true freshwater fish and need brackish water (brackish tanks are basically between freshwater and marine conditions). When they grow older, they should really be kept in a full saltwater set-up. They're also rather aggressive and shouldn't be housed with most other fish. Like the Dwarf Puffers, they require frozen and/or live foods. For a single Green Spotted Puffer, a 20-gallon might be alright (it's kinda the bare minimum), but I'd go with a 29-gallon personally.

Puffers in general can be sensitive to water parameters, so they need to be acclimated slowly and should never be introduced into a tank that isn't completely cycled.

Basically, puffers are awesome fish, but they tend to need very specific conditions and are rarely compatible with other fish species. Still, if you're really interested in them, research as much as possible and don't hesitate to ask questions .
oh yes the puffer will be in his own tank I actually have a 5 gallon tank already set up and the filter is running in it to help it get cycled and I plan to get the lil guy and introduce him in a few month time when I know that the tank is as completely cycled as I know it needs to be.
I did do plenty of research on the puffers wayy before hand I knew that dwarf puffers are fresh water fish and that the green spotteds are in fact brackish fish which is why I am putting off getting any until I know for sure that I can handle it. I think I do remember hearing that 20 were the bare minimum for GSPs but I think I certainly will stick with your opinion of getting something more around 29...my mother and I tried to rescue two little green spotteds from a wal-mart in town a while back cuz they were closing the store and the poor two were just floating in total filth but even after a long discussion with my mother of trying to explain to them they need more space then that in the tanks and that brackish water is not the same as adding Aquarium Salt obviously they didn't make it and I want to stive not to have something like that happen again....she is a very stubborn women and thinks anything they do in wal-mart is a good example to follow when you bring the animals home and that is just not true.
This is one of the many reasons why I think I should not attempt to get into keeping animals too very much while I am here cuz I know how hard it is to talk sense into my mother. But yes I do know that the puffers need a bit more effort to keep them healthy. the tank I have is a really good size for one single Dwarf and I am making sure that everything I do is going to be in the best interest of his health for when he does end up coming home.

Last edited by kala83; 02-27-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Tags
guppies