What type of fish - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

What type of fish

What type of fish can i have in a 45-50 gallon fresh water aquarium. I had a tropical tank before but we ended up getting a load of snails and they ended up killing all my fish. So we were thinking of buying either a 45-50 gallon tank but this time i want it to be a freshwater aquarium. I wanted a saltwater tank but i heard they were harder to take care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
What type of fish can i have in a 45-50 gallon fresh water aquarium. I had a tropical tank before but we ended up getting a load of snails and they ended up killing all my fish. So we were thinking of buying either a 45-50 gallon tank but this time i want it to be a freshwater aquarium. I wanted a saltwater tank but i heard they were harder to take care of.
Yes salt water tanks are much harder to take care of. My brother-in-law used to raise Oscars in his 50 gallon tanks. They are really pretty and pretty big. Best of luck deciding! There are SO many nice fish out there.

Jana (gr8pots)
Wife to my wonderful husband Richard,
Mom to Nichole, Grandmom to Ashli, Shelly,
Markell & Kayla.
Godmom to Ana & Natalia &
Petmom to: WFB Glaze & Silica,
Syler & Halle our Mountain Feist &
Sushie & Patriot our Bettas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Custom Cage Liners

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pottery
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I would have really loved to get an 80 gallon tank but that seems so big for someone that hasnt had many fish. Someone here has good deals we can either get a 50-75 gallon tank for only $75 dollars. I was thinking of angel fish i love them they are very nice looking fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Adolescent Pup

angel fish are beautiful and have gorgeous fins. just make sure you dont get any fin nipping fish to go in the tank with them
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Hello Earthling

From everything I have been told salt water tanks really aren't that hard, just getting it all set up is.

The bigger the tank the most stable the water quality will be.

In a forty or 50 gallon toy could go with a bunch of small fish, or a few larger fish or mix it up.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

There are a ton of options for a tank that size so it really depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a community tank or just one species? Are you more interested in color, activity, or personality? Do you plan to have live plants (some fish do best in planted tanks while others may actually eat them!)?

Also, basic FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) saltwater tanks aren't that bad once they're up and running--however, they're quite expensive to set up.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
50g, fish, tanks