Whats with my fish? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Whats with my fish?

Okay.. well my question is whats with my fish . I got them from a breeder who only had one pair of breeding cichilds in their own tank. He also breed discus and angle too I think. Any ways all the fish are from the same batch and they all look different ... Roy being the one who looks almost nothing like the other two

This is Roy. Sorry the pics aren't that good of him... but I didn't want to stress him out to much.

Here Franklin the Smallest

and the Unnamed one.. the biggest

The Unnamed One, is the biggest and Franklin is the smallest... close to The Unnamed Ones shape
Roy's is very different... very... he fat fat fat fat and roundish... be is also blue where is the other aren't.

this is really confusing me... Help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't keep cichlids but perhaps the blue one is male and the others are female? Male cichlids tend to be colored differently (and usually have brighter colors) and are also larger.

What kinds of cichlids are these?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hmmm, hard to say by the pics and they are still young, correct?
How long have you had them? Do you know how old they are?

As far as males and females go it will continue to be hard to tell the differences between the two until they are older.
The cichlid males will usually have longer and pointier fins as they mature.
As Steph said the males will usually be brighter too.

You said the breeder kept (african or south american) cichlids? Also Discus and Angel fish?
Couldnt you ask him/ her what kind of fish he was breeding in that tank? They should be able to tell you.

All those types of fish need different water requirements.

I dont think that Roy is from the same batch as the others. It doesnt look that way.
Its hard to tell but looks like Roy might be some type of Discus....going by what you said the breeder kept. But then again he doesnt...lol!
Its hard to believe that he is from the same batch as the others. He is just too different.

Could you get a better picure of him in his tank?

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree that a better picture of Roy would be helpful. It's possible he's a Discus but that would be strange. I can't imagine Discus breeding in the same water conditions as most cichlids...

I'm surprised the fish even all get along.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Exactly.
Thats why i was thinking that they must have come from different batches..different tanks, to begin with. Those are two diff types of fish.
Maybe the breeder just told her they came from the same batch or is confused, made a mistake??.

Lve Never Fails

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Thanks for all the input... I'll try to get a better picture of Roy, buts it pretty had in less I take ALL the caves and hiding places out.

Their South American Cichlids... the breeder I had got them from only had one pair of cichlids that he bred in their own tank... so I don't think their different batches... but he also bred angles and discus so in less one on those bred with them or got into the cichid tanks I really don't know.

I've had them for about a year now, Roy had always looked different from the others, but I just thought he had just grown faster than the rest.

Uggg. this is so had

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

heres some more pictures.

Sorry that their not the good... but he was freaking out when I took these

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I was thinking that you just got these fish recently. Well since you have had them for about a year all is well. Dont stress, just love Roy for what he is....different!

As far as the breeder...even if one of the other types of fish were intoduced into the tank I dont think that a discus or angel fish would breed with a S. American Cichlid. It wouldnt do too good in there being that their water requirements are different.

hehe...i know if your like me its probably driving you nuts that you dont know exactly what Roy is but you know it really doesnt matter now ..does it?
If you do get a clear picture of him be sure to share it with us.

Roy is cool!

EDIT!! just saw the pics you posted. I musta been typing as you uploaded them!

He does look like a cichlid and NOT a discus. Yep, definatly a cichlid.
I still think he is from a different spawn. I do not think he is from the same spawn as the other cichlids pictured. He musta got mixed up with them somehow when the breeder was separating.

Roy is very pretty

Lve Never Fails

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Yeah... I loves him lots. I'll tr and get a clear picture of him.. but he's still really skittish

Its really is driving me nuts.. I guess I'm going to have to talk to my fish... get it out of him.. I'm sure he knows what he is ...ha ha ha