What's wrong? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

What's wrong?

My common gold fish Meeko has been "sinking" to the bottom and just staying there at the tanks corner or in a corner made by bubblers, house etc. At first I thought maybe he passed away but when I tried to get him he wiggled away. And then sunk back down to the bottom and sits there. He doesn't swim or anything. He hasn't eaten todaay either. . Any ideas on what's wrong with my little meeko?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It sounds like ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Test the water asap and do a water change.

How old is he?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

He's been doing this for a few days now. The water was fine when I tested but I will do a water change just incase. I don't know how old he is I got him from a pet store but I have had him for about a year now.

1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
He's been doing this for a few days now. The water was fine when I tested but I will do a water change just incase. I don't know how old he is I got him from a pet store but I have had him for about a year now.
When you tested the water what did you use to test? The test strips can be wrong sometimes, that's why I'm asking.

What things did you test?

If you've only had him for a year he's pretty young so we can rule out old age.

Good luck with him . What size tank is this? And what sort of filtration do you have?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Sorry it's taking so loing for a reply comp or net is acting up. Anyways I have him in a ten gallon tank with a 20-30 gph aqua tech bio filter. The test is the kind where you mix the water and powder stuff in a tube. It test for alkinity, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and hardness.

1 Cat- Luna
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Sorry it's taking so loing for a reply comp or net is acting up. Anyways I have him in a ten gallon tank with a 20-30 gph aqua tech bio filter. The test is the kind where you mix the water and powder stuff in a tube. It test for alkinity, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and hardness.
The problem could be the tank size. A 10-gallon is too small for even one goldfish. He's a common, too, which is even more concerning.

I'll spare you the details but basically...his growth was probably stunted. The problem is that his organs weren't.

For now just keep doing water changes but you're going to need a bigger tank for the fish...or a pond.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Wow. I never knew that the fishes organs will continue to grow. I will def look into a bigger tank or out door pond. I feel so bad now. . Is he going to be permantely hurt because of this? Also out of curosity would the same apply to all other fish?

1 Cat- Luna
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

yeah, i think it applies to all fish, i know it happens alot with Oscars, cuz people don't realize how big they can get.
If you cant find a larger tank or something, you could prolly put them in one of those plastic storage tub things for awhile. my friend had hers in a few of those until they had finished there pond. There rather cheap too, compared to the price of a large tank.

My Furry Family
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Wow. I never knew that the fishes organs will continue to grow. I will def look into a bigger tank or out door pond. I feel so bad now. . Is he going to be permantely hurt because of this? Also out of curosity would the same apply to all other fish?
Yeah, unfortunately pet stores like to leave this kind of information out .

If he's moved to a bigger tank soon he might be ok, it's hard to say. He hasn't been in a tiny tank for years or anything so he could easily start growing again .

It can happen with other fish but goldfish are the most common because they get HUGE but are kept in small tanks a lot.

How is he doing?

~Stephanie

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 PM
RAT ADDICT

I hope he is okay.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

He's the same for right now. Hopefully with a bigger space he'll get better.

1 Cat- Luna
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

I feel so awful about allowing this to happen. I hope meeko recovers. I think Im to make an out door pond. I know where I can get a bin that's 50 gallons to be the pond part. If I can do it like that? But I don't have a clue how to set them up. I know I do want live plants in there. Anyone got any good links to go to besides google.?.

1 Cat- Luna
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:22 AM
RAT ADDICT

I used to house my fancy goldfish in a large bin.You can set them up pretty much the same way you set up an aquarium.I added live plants and silk plants to mine,rocks and sand.The goldfish thrived pretty well in it.

I might have pics around here...I will look.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 AM
RAT ADDICT

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...light=goldfish

This is what it looked like before.I ended up changing the substrate and adding some more plants.I eventually moved everyone to tanks.

But they did pretty well in the bin for awhile anyway and because it wasn't clear,they would greet me at the top waiting for their food.They were not afraid!

* Lisa *

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

My boyfriend mom wont's let me use a bin for a permant home in the house but she may let me use a bin to build an out door pond. or I will just have to save for an outdoor pond set up.

1 Cat- Luna

Tags
bigger tank, gold fish, pet store, pet stores