whats wrong with my yoyo loaches? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

whats wrong with my yoyo loaches?

Two of my loaches are pale in color and breathing rapidly. I just did an 80% water change in their planted tank and am hoping for some positive results :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'll definitely need more information to help. What size tank are they in? What are your water parameters (especially ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and temperature)? How long have you had them? Have any medications or additives been used in the tank recently (including aquarium salt, Seachem Flourish products, etc.)? What other fish are in the tank?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

temperature: 71 f
ammonia: 0.2 ppm
nitrate: 0
nitrite: can get later if necessary
PH: 7.6

I've had them for almost 4 months in a 25 gallon tank with 9 neon tetras, 1 albino pleco, 1 leopard guppy, four otto's, 2 bumble bee goby, 2 danios, 4 juvenile yellow shrimp, 2 juvenile cherry shrimp, 6 amano shrimp, 8 ghost shrimp, 1 juvenile crystalline shrimp, and a few trumpet snails. I dose daily with Kent Marine Freshwater Pro Plant 10ml, and Azoo liquid carbon 5ml. Every few days: Flourish Iron 2.5ml, Flourish Potassium 2.5ml.
I do 70% water changes every 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Resident Zoologist

Your tank is overpopulated...period. I am wondering what the DO in your tank is....with that many fish/inverts, you had better have good oxygenation from a filter or airstone.

Your water changes are too large and too infrequent...switch to 30%-50% every 3-5 days. I realise that this will remove CO2 and plant nutrients, but with that many fish and inverts, your tank needs it. Your ammonia and nitrites may be low, but they are not the only reason to do water-changes.

Your yoyo loaches must be small, because once they reach 3" (on their way to 9"), they will merrily start eating all your shrimp....perhaps not immediately, but they day they get just a bit more peckish than usual...

Although BB gobies will survive in freshwater, they really require mildly brackish conditions to thrive.

71ºF is a bit low for yoyo loaches...despite being a hillstream loach, they do best at between 75ºF-78ºF. Neon tetra also do best at 75ºF-80ºF, so they are also likely less than perfectly happy.

Have you seen any signs of ich? The reason I ask is that it is most likely to gain hold of the loaches and tetras at those lower temperatures, where their immune system is suppressed.

What filter are you running, with what media, and how frequent is your filter maintenance?

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudorocknroll View Post
Two of my loaches are pale in color and breathing rapidly. I just did an 80% water change in their planted tank and am hoping for some positive results :/

What is your pH level? Loaches like acidic water and this happened to my loaches in my first tank. If the pH is too soft they will not make it.

This is what I know of, anyways.

Do you have an API test kit? If so I would test Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels as well as your pH levels.

I also agree that you are waaaay over stocked! The temp is also too low IMO, and this can lead to a lot of stress and lower immunity.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

As Toirtis said, your tank is totally over-stocked. I don't think you'll be able to treat them without re-homing/moving some fish. I'm also concerned that you have ammonia, even a small amount. Does the kit read any lower or is that truly what your ammonia level is?

I've never seen Bumblebee Gobies survive in freshwater long-term. I'd move those to a small tank on their own.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
fish help, loach, loach care