Where'd he go? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Where'd he go?

I check on my fish tank twice a day and yesterday night, I noticed that one of my tiger barbs was missing. I looked everywhere, but it was gone. I'm guessing that he was killed and eaten, but wouldn't there be a least a little bit of the fish in the water. The other fish wouldn't eat the whole thing would they? This really sux, I liked that fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM

You know, "where do the fish go" is such a good question! I went to the pet store one day and purchased 4, yes (four) little african dwarf frogs for my son's aquarium. It is a sealed tank, no way that they can get out, there is nobody that would have eaten them, there is no sight of dead bodies, but POOF! The next day, there was only one (1) left. I am not kidding. Where do they go? I am so tired of replacing these little guys. But I am getting used to it. I am getting ready to set up a camera to film where they go!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
I check on my fish tank twice a day and yesterday night, I noticed that one of my tiger barbs was missing. I looked everywhere, but it was gone. I'm guessing that he was killed and eaten, but wouldn't there be a least a little bit of the fish in the water. The other fish wouldn't eat the whole thing would they? This really sux, I liked that fish.
Yes, they could've been completely eaten. It depends on what kinds of fish you have .

There's a good chance the Kissing Gourami was the culprit...this is why s/he needs to be separated/rehomed.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah my guesses would be that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
love ya all on Paw talk

Proud Mommy To

Dog Jewels Chihuahua JackRussel Mix 1 Year Old <3

Kitten Precious Jade
<3 Almost Three Weeks Old

Was A Mommy To
Cat Freckles Rip

Kitten Lucky Ran Away

Cat CQ Rip

Cat Carmel Rip Road Kill

Cat Doger Rip

Dog Bell Got Old Died

Puppy Daughter Of Bell Stormy Died Got Into Poisen

Puppy Sky Daughter Of Bell Died Got Sufficated Under Wood

Hamster Sunny Died To hot Outside Killed it

Hamster Chloe Died Horriable Nightstand Incident

Hamster Lana Died OLd Age

Hamster Midnite Died Idk Why

Hamster Kiara Died Lack Of water but i think old age

Parakeet Keshia Died Idk Why

Parakeet Keet Died Idk Why

Miss Them All terriaballie
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 PM
laugh often

I am so sorry for your loss.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Yes, they could've been completely eaten. It depends on what kinds of fish you have .

There's a good chance the Kissing Gourami was the culprit...this is why s/he needs to be separated/rehomed.
But I was reading up on them and most sites said they're good with tiger barbs. I haven't noticed any aggressiveness what so ever from any of the fish. The most aggressive fish I ever had were guppies, and they're not even supposed to be aggressive. I bought three and they all attacked eachother and bit off eachothers fins and then they all died.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Adolescent Pup

wow i dont know then

love ya all on Paw talk

Proud Mommy To

Dog Jewels Chihuahua JackRussel Mix 1 Year Old <3

Kitten Precious Jade
<3 Almost Three Weeks Old

Was A Mommy To
Cat Freckles Rip

Kitten Lucky Ran Away

Cat CQ Rip

Cat Carmel Rip Road Kill

Cat Doger Rip

Dog Bell Got Old Died

Puppy Daughter Of Bell Stormy Died Got Into Poisen

Puppy Sky Daughter Of Bell Died Got Sufficated Under Wood

Hamster Sunny Died To hot Outside Killed it

Hamster Chloe Died Horriable Nightstand Incident

Hamster Lana Died OLd Age

Hamster Midnite Died Idk Why

Hamster Kiara Died Lack Of water but i think old age

Parakeet Keshia Died Idk Why

Parakeet Keet Died Idk Why

Miss Them All terriaballie
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

That use to happen to my mom when she had a fish tank, once in awhile one would just go missing and we would never find a body or anything. I think they just eat the dead ones.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 AM
RAT ADDICT

It's happened to me as well.I have lost khuli loaches,dojo loaches and minnows before.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
But I was reading up on them and most sites said they're good with tiger barbs. I haven't noticed any aggressiveness what so ever from any of the fish. The most aggressive fish I ever had were guppies, and they're not even supposed to be aggressive. I bought three and they all attacked eachother and bit off eachothers fins and then they all died.
Honestly, it really depends on the individual fish. I'm just guessing the Gourami because that's the most aggressive fish you have.

It's also possible that the fish died from something else...did you test the water? Since you just added new fish it's possible that there was an ammonia spike.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I'm sorry for your loss i always get a bit upset when one of my fish dies.. i tell myself not to, cuz i know guppies can die for no reason sometimes.. but it still makes me sad.
I don't really have anything in my tank that would eat something, well not very quickly anyway, but When my guppies died i couldn't find them either, had to move some stuff around to find them.. I'm not sure if they hid because they were ill, or tired, or if they just died and the current pushed them. but maybe its in one of your plants or something? Altho you have a better mixture of fish than i do, so its very possible that it was eaten completely.
I would check your water levels the next couple days tho, cuz if he died and for some reason didn't get eaten, that too will cause your ammonia to spike.

My Furry Family
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

i'm sorry to hear about your little fish.

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, dwarf frogs, fish tank, pet store, tiger barbs