Why isn't he eating? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Why isn't he eating?

I have an oscar, he's about a year old, and has always loved his food. Just recently, he actually stopped eating, and now is somewhat picking at his food a bit. I tested the Ph (it's fine), nitrates are fine, I don't know what is wrong with him. He appears to be very healthy, he has turned down beefheart, krill, blood worms, etc., so we went and got a few feeder fish, because he NEVER turns them down, and he is actually swimming around with them
OK, maybe that's not funny, but he is about 12-13 inches long, and hardly the type of fish that likes to swim in schools with little feeders. Anyways, I finally got him to take the occasional cricket, and sometimes some brine shrimp flakes, but not much, and the limited dies can't be good for him. Any ideas? If the ground wasn't so hard and dry around her, maybe I could try earthworms, but I don't have a lot of those in the yard (need more rain).
Suggestions please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 11:46 AM

Have you tried something with less protein? I know that the cichlid family can bloat if they are getting a diet too high in protein. Supplementing with spirulina flakes (make sure they are the good ones with spirulina as the first ingredient) may help. Our Jack Dempsey loves them...not as much as his other food but he still likes them. I have heard bad things about feeder fish, about them carrying disease, etc. but I don't know how true the information is. I know that most serious cichlid owners don't use them for that reason. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Candice, I will look for those flakes and see if I can find them. He is eating some brine shrimp flakes and crickets, but I think it is just barely enough to keep him going. We are so worried about him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 12:28 PM

If it were my Jack, I wouldn't be worried because his appetite varies quite a bit. But since you've had him for so long, and he's never done this, I would worry a bit too. Is it possible you are overfeeding?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 01:20 PM

How is your oscar? Did he start eating?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Yes, he started eating, a bit at a time (we tried the flakes and they worked great). Now he is almost back to his old self.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 01:54 PM

Thats great

Tags
blood worms, brine shrimp