why me???? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

why me????

well, on top of my green water problem which im currently fixng......another problem arose.....ICK

Ohhhh and it cant just be ick alone, there has to also be some bacterial infections to add on to my problems...a nice cottony growth ...........

so i got some bacterial/fungal tabs and ick tabs..however it looses potency so i had to cut the uv off...and now im housing my plants in temp tanks...and so i have an empty 65 gal with fish in it.....

any recommendations....what should i do with my plants...should i treat them for ick??i dont want a repeat..whats the best way to approach the problem? i can t understand how it happened they are all new fish and i have had them for a good 3-4weeks by now....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 AM

Hi, I'm not sure on aquariums but when my cold water fish were ill I treated everything just to be on the safe side. That's the bad thing about fish disease it seems to linger!

I hope you can get it sorted. Good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 03:10 PM

I know there are ick treatments out there but I've been told that larger water changes frequently will take care of the problem. We just recently had a fish with ick and we just pulled him out of the main tank and quarantined him until he was better.

I am sure Sasami will know exactly what to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Title Thief Victim

Aww you're not having much luck :-( I hope it gets better soon

Carissasaurus Rex

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Did you ever have your nitrates tested? I seriously think that may be part of the problem.

I would actually not recommend using ich medications...unless maybe it gets really bad. Instead add aquarium salt and turn up the heat to about 81 degrees or so...but never raise the temperature all at once. Do it slowly over the next day or two. Do a partial water change every day and always vacuum the gravel. Leave the plants in there, actually, because they'll help keep things stable. Plus otherwise when you put them back in they might re-introduce the parasite.

Even after the ich appears to be gone continue treatment for four days.

Good luck .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

ohh this ick problem is horrible...my nitrate tests show i have a very low .01 test...its in lowest safe zone on the srip test

the ick i left alone, water changes are done weekly...the water is around 75 and i left the problem till it killed 3 of my fish in a week's time..and when i inspected the other fish, they started to have signs of ick...uv diminishes the medicines potency...much like vit c, so i had no choice on that..i know that i will have to treat the plants as well and scrub down all the decorations that i have removed out of the tank so they would nt be stained from the medications..this is the 3rd day of treatment, i will treat 2more

when you have a cotton like growth on the dorsal fin of a fish that seems to be rotting...is that fungal or bacterial? bc i may loose a gourami to it...and im not sure if my fungal is working...i may try a broader spec drug combo that has all fungal/ick/bacterial treatments in one

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wow, I'm sorry you are having so many problems.

Definately raise the temperature. If it's as bad as it sounds I wouldn't hesitate to raise it to 82 or 83 degrees. Are you using aquarium salt?

Oh, and if you are using medications (which I still don't recommend) remember to remove the carbon in your filter.

A cotton-like growth...that sounds like it could be Columnaris. Aquarium salt will help with that, too.

Remember, most infections are actually not true fungal infections...they are usually bacterial. I like Binox by Jungle...it's for both bacterial and fungal infections. It works really fast though it's kind of strong so I drip it in slowly rather then add it all at once.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
aquarium salt