will anything fit? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

will anything fit?

ok, so i found my old, stone age apperantly, 2 gal fish bowl out in the garage and thought it'd be nice to get a goldfish so matthew could watch it. Well, guess i'm very far out of it and didn't realize how fish buying/keeping had progressed! especially for a common goldfish. The stupid lady almost laughed me out of the store when i asked about it.
Excuse me. lol Back in the day, 10 yrs ago, i had a goldfish in it and it was thriving, active, attentive....Store lady said i have to have a 29 gal. tank and the works. For a 12 cent fish??!!

So anyways i'm all depressed and everything can someone help recommend a very easy fish to take care of (which i thought a goldfish was) that will be good in a 2 gal. bowl? If there is one?

And why then if you have to have a 29 gal tank for a mere goldfish do they sell 2.5 gal tanks FOR GOLDFISH?? hubby said i shoulda shoved their own product in her face.

thanks

~beth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM
is a little "special"

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the only thing that MIGHT be able to live in there is one african dwarf frog if it has a good filter and everything.
If you want a goldfish, you want a bare minimum of 20 gallons per fish. When I had just one goldie in my 20 gallon, it died becuase there wants enough space to grow. They can get over a foot long, and youd probably need at least a 55 gallon when it grew up. C:
If you want any kind of fish at all, you need at least a 10 gallon. Its very difficult to get anything to survive in anything smaller.
For a 10 gallon, when your water is cycled and stuff, some great, easy-to-care-for fish are bettas (this would be the only fish in your tank tho), 3-4 platys or guppies, a few zebra danios, or tetras. All are very hardy fishies

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think you could keep a betta in there happily i have one in a simular sized tank, also if you have a bubbler you could keep a few (3 and under) guppies or 2 tetras

they are fun fish too

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Hello Earthling

Yeah the lady was right NO GOLD FISH IN A BOWL at LEAST 20 gallons a fish.

For a 2.5 gallon bowl you could do a betta with daily water changes but they do,do (ha ha dodo) better in at least a 5 gallon heated with a small filter.

You can't really keep much though 1 fish max I would say.

You could keep as Jess said african dwarf frogs (NOT AFRICAN CLAWED FROGS) or a ghost shrimp or 2 MAYBE.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

well, thanks for bursting my bubble nicer than the lady at the store.

so why do they sell 2.5 gal tank kits for goldfish? is it a quality of life thing? kindof like the C&C cages for the piggers?

so you say a betta or 2 tetraas? can they be neon? is there a good site for caring for either?

~beth

thank you!--->

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Hello Earthling

I wouldn't get teteras their schooling fish and you'll require at least 6 which you don't have room for.

They sell gold fish kits for money they don't care about the animal. A kid or adult for that matter will see it and just buy it without doing the proper research on the care of the animal and the actual size tank the animal will need.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 04:05 PM
is a little "special"

LOL, no pob XD
People tat make those things dont really care about the fish, or their quality of life. They just want to make money... and when the fish in small tanks die right away, people will go and buy more fish, and the stores make even more money.
A pair of neon tetras wouls be OK, but I would still recomend a larger tank for them because they do a ton better in large schools. IMO, I would go with they betta insread tho, because they are easier to care for than tetras, dont require filters (I would discourage filers in a small tank anyway, because bettas are weaker swimmers with all those fins and tend ot get sucked in easier... mine got sucked in mutliple time in my 20 gallon tank, and a few more times with I moved him to his 10 gallon, so I had to take the filters out.)and are more tolerent to different water conditions.
Adn just a warning, its also harder to control temperature in a small tank, because theres not enoughwater to keep it very stable. Thsi can be really stressful to the fish.
Here are some sites for bettas and tetras C:

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10tetra_neon.htm
http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/arti...eonTetras.html
http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_care.htm
http://care.betta-fish.com.ar/#bettafishcare

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

ghost shrimps is cute and dont get more than 2 (female) or 1.5 (male) cm. but you need more than one so i thinks 3 wuld fit in 2.5 gallon. and if the tank is more tall and not wide get some rocks and thing to climb on. that my suggeston if you likes shrimps.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Nano tanks (under 10-gallons) can work but I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner. In a smaller aquarium, one mistake can easily kill all your fish. A small ammonia spike that might not even affect the fish in a large system will usually be deadly in, say, a 3-gallon.

I'm talking about actual aquariums, by the way. I would never recommend using a bowl of that size because keeping it filtered and heated properly would be very difficult (if not impossible in many cases).

My advice would be to go out and buy an actual aquarium, no smaller than 10-gallons. If possible, I would start with a 20-gallon as you have much more room for error and it'll be more stable/easier to cycle. Speaking of cycling, I posted a thread about fishless cycling in this forum .

Don't get tetras. Although you can technically maintain a pair in a smaller tank, they're schooling fish and won't thrive that way. Besides, tetras are active fish and need more room to swim . I wouldn't recommend a betta either...they just do SO much better in larger tanks (at least 5-gallons) that I couldn't possibly suggest one even if it would survive for a while. It's kinda like how a guinea pig could survive in a 10-gallon aquarium but it definitely wouldn't be happy or healthy.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

ok, hubby got me this 10 gallon aquarium kit. it has a filter/tank hood w/light/and some other things....

now we have more room to work with!

I still want to get gold fish tho...It'll look funny having tiny goldfish in that "big tank". Someone told me i could get neon tetras with goldfish if i got them all in the same size range at the same time. Any thoughts? it seems like the water temp is slightly higher for tetras tho.

They also said i need to get one of those bottom feeder things i can't pronounce...or spell. lol

THANK YOU all for your help. i'm trying to do this as right as i can. I just want something simple.

Is it just me or are goldfish a more personable fish?

y'all rock.

~beth

thank you!--->

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny

Last edited by TNSWfan80; 08-28-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: got interupted
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 04:45 PM
is a little "special"

Oooh thats great! Now there are alot more options for fishies C:
Yes, goldfish can be kept with other fish. I kept mine with a pair of danios for a while.
BUT it will only work with a large enough tank- and sorry, but 10 gallons are still too small.
Goldies are one of the most personable fish Ive had, and thats why I love them. ^^
If you want something personable, one betta (very personable lil guys... they learn to recognise you, and everythng) with maybe a african dwarf frog, or somethng would work really well in your tank. I have my betta in a ten gallon by himself, and hes very active, and swins up to greet me when I walk in the room.
A few balloon mollys would be great too. Or platys, or guppys...

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

were were wondering about a school (6?) or 2 of tetras...? or 1 school and a few other fish that might be compatible? Someone told us we could put 10 small fish in the 10 gall. tank? And people are still telling us to add one of those Plecostomus things to help clean the - i keep wanting to say cage! ack!- tank.

or maybe just a smattering of compatible fish. I think goldfish are out now.lol

we are looking for an alternate 24hr. cycling agent, tho...can't find the Bio stuff anywhere.

funny what this has morphed into! Thanks everyone for your thoughts/help!

~beth

thank you!--->

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Hello Earthling

Yep. You could do a school (6+ fish) with other fish such as corys but stay away from plecos they will soon out grow the tank.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Aww - too bad you didn't get shrimps for the little one...
RCS are nice shrimps ^_^

Btw - don't you have some sort of thumb rule that says something about how many gallons you need per 1 cm fish or 1 inch fish?
We have a saying that 1 liter is needed for every 1 cm fish (0.3 gallon for 0.4 inch fish - rounded up)
Still there are some minimum tanks but still, it's quite smart to have these types of "rules" it makes it much more easy for us beginners to figure out if the fish could thrive...
If you want like 6 fish that get 5 inches each, you would need at least you would need somethink like 18+ gallons...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Hello Earthling

I think the saying is every inch needs a gallon of water so theoretically you could have 10 1 inch fish.