will my fish eat/injure a new smaller fish? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question will my fish eat/injure a new smaller fish?

Ello everyone!

First of all, many thanks to everyone who helped me out when my fish was injured several weeks ago. He is doing MUCH better now and is almost fully healed thanks to your wonderful advice!

I am getting ready to move him to a bigger 55 gal. tank, and once that is done I plan to start shopping for some new fish to keep him company.

He is a large (6 or 7 inch) wild goldfish who will certainly get much bigger quite quickly once I put him in a larger tank. I'm concerned that the only place I will be able to find the same kind of fish to keep him company locally will be in the feeder fish tank at the pet store, so they will be SMALL.

Will this pose a danger to the new smaller fish? Might my big fish consider them a snack instead of friends? Territory issues? Do I need to make a special effort to find fish of a similar size? Is there another kind of fish that would make an equally good or better companion?

Just want to be sure I do this right (and yes, I'm planning to keep the new fish in a separate tank for a while before introducing them)...

thanks in advance, everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's always possible if the fish is bite-sized for him. Try to get the largest one possible. Check out craigslist, too, people sometimes give away goldfish on there and they're often larger.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Newborn Pup

It really depends on his temperament, he could. It's a toss up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Adolescent Pup

is your goldfish agressive and territorial? it is possible that he may chase the smaller fish around and nip at his fins. it is best to do a bit of research and find out a little more about your fishes temperament
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanWolf View Post
is your goldfish agressive and territorial? it is possible that he may chase the smaller fish around and nip at his fins. it is best to do a bit of research and find out a little more about your fishes temperament
Being predatory (eating the fish) has nothing to do with being aggressive and/or territorial. A predator catching and eating a prey animal isn't an act of aggression.

I've seen the most peaceful of bettas suddenly catch and eat several shrimp. I've also had a rather aggressive puffer who wasn't interested in most live foods.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

i have a jack dempsey and when he was younger he was very agressive and before we moved him to a tank of his own he did injure a couple of fish and has ate some other fishes babies because they were small enough to eat. it also depends on if your fish is omnivorous or carnivorous
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanWolf View Post
i have a jack dempsey and when he was younger he was very agressive and before we moved him to a tank of his own he did injure a couple of fish and has ate some other fishes babies because they were small enough to eat. it also depends on if your fish is omnivorous or carnivorous
That's what I'm saying, it depends on the fish. He ate those fish because he's a predator, it didn't have to do with him being "aggressive". A lion that takes down a gazelle isn't being aggressive, it's just getting lunch .

I'm emphasizing this point because there are plenty of fish out there who really do have "peaceful" temperaments but will also happily snack on smaller fish.

IMO, if the fish is at all predatory in the wild (most are, you'll be hard-pressed to find many herbivores), mixing it with other live animals that it could potentially swallow could easily go either way--the fish should be watched very carefully. Exceptions to this are a few species that don't seem to eat their own species--I've noticed that Colombian Sharks (which are very, very predatory) never seem to see others of the species as food.

~Stephanie

Tags
companions, fish