worried about mom's betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

worried about mom's betta

i got mom a betta and set up for mothers day. i just brought home the betta yesterday. and usually i wait a couple of days before feeding the betta to let it adjust. well i just fed this betta, and its not eating.
i was wondering if thats normal or not?? it was looking at the food but decided it didnt want any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
i got mom a betta and set up for mothers day. i just brought home the betta yesterday. and usually i wait a couple of days before feeding the betta to let it adjust. well i just fed this betta, and its not eating.
i was wondering if thats normal or not?? it was looking at the food but decided it didnt want any.
What are you feeding it? As sometimes Betta's can be picky with what they eat, i know people who have gone through loads of different brands and types till they have found one the little guy will eat. He is alright in himself? Swimming round ok etc?

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's perfectly normal, don't worry .

Bettas often take a few days (or sometimes even weeks) to eat because at first they're stressed out in the new tank.

The betta won't starve...they can go months without food. Valentino, my male veiltail, took four weeks to eat (though it doesn't usually take that long...he's just shy and nervous).

What food are you feeding? They like pellets, not flakes. Hikari Betta Bio-Gold and HBH Betta Bites are both great foods that most bettas can't resist.

Oh, and what's the temperature? I'd make sure the heater's working just in case.

But honestly, I wouldn't start worrying until he starts going weeks without eating.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

thanks.
he is swimming and looks fine. temp is just fine too. he is eating flakes. i have pellets but my larger bettas can even eat them because they are too hard and big (yet they are made just for bettas) so i didnt even try it with moms young little betta
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
thanks.
he is swimming and looks fine. temp is just fine too. he is eating flakes. i have pellets but my larger bettas can even eat them because they are too hard and big (yet they are made just for bettas) so i didnt even try it with moms young little betta
Pellet foods are better for bettas. If the pellets are too big you can crush them. But the only brand I can think of with huge pellets is Wardley, which is low quality anyways and I've never gotten a betta to eat them.

HBH Betta Bites are really, really tiny. Even babies can eat them with no problems.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
hbh betta bites