YAAAAY I have my fishtank back! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

YAAAAY I have my fishtank back!

*sigh* I feel complete again. I finally have my fishtank back from the father in laws. poor fishies they all died (another post) but my water plant is still good! not as nice as when I left it but it's alive lol and pretty pathetic looking. I set it all back up as soon as i got in the door, so i can get a betta in a few days. we'll see though, i'll be testing water parameters to make sure it's safe. plus i'll be getting a few more fish in future. my question is can a betta live with other fish, if so what kinds? if they dont get along with anything then i likely won't get one, since i'd like at least 3 small fish. it's a ten gallon with a great filter. any ideas? and some kind of algae eater is a must, i do know pleco's are a no no

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:25 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yays!

Bettas can live with danios and platties.
I had bettas with those fish before.
As for algae eaters...what about an otocinclus? Except they can be sensitive to water conditions and like to be in small groups...

http://www.otocinclus.com/

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

cool thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Bettas can live with other fish but it really depends on the individual betta. Some are so aggressive that they can't even live with snails...others are so peaceful that they can be housed with Gouramis and Guppies (species that are normally not recommended to keep with bettas).

If you definitely want a community tank I wouldn't recommend getting a betta (unless maybe you have a plan for the fish if there are issues). Aggression problems with betta fish aren't THAT common but I figured you should be aware that it can and does happen. Sometimes it's actually the reverse...other fish nip at or even attack the betta.

Avoid Gouramis/Paradisefish...they're closely related to bettas and will often fight with them. Don't get fancy guppies either as the long, colorful fins remind bettas of other male bettas. White Cloud Minnows and Neon Tetras (most tetras, actually) can make great tankmates but sometimes they'll nip at bettas' fins. I haven't personally experienced this but many people have. Danios can work but I wouldn't recommend them as your first choice. They move very quickly and can be nippy...they tend to stress bettas out.

Platies and Swordtails usually work but some bettas act aggressively because of the bright colors.

Cherry barbs, cory cats, and bristlenose plecos (they stay small for a pleco and are great algae eaters) are great betta tankmates, I haven't heard of anyone having issues with them. Apple snails are nice if you want something a little different (they eat algae too). Some people keep African dwarf frogs with their betta but sometimes the betta will just steal all of the food.

I'm not sure why an algae eater is a "must"? It's really not a requirement at all. If your tank is prone to algae problems than something is wrong...it might be getting too much/too little light, the fish were being overfed, there weren't enough water changes being done, etc. If you definitely want a betta-friendly algae eater then look into Oto cats. They do best in schools and can be a bit sensitive to water conditions (I've never had issues with mine, though. I feel that a lot of them don't do well because of petstore conditions...mainly lack of proper food. By the time most people get them they're completely emaciated.). Acclimate them slowly and get them from a good store and you should be fine . Oh, and make sure you have plenty of plants.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

yay sasami to my rescue! thanks a lot woman i have a 2 gallon bowl that i was thinking of getting a filter/pump for, i know it's smaller but would a betta mind it? if you think it shouldnt then i just wont, but im curious lol. i had oto cats before and i loved them! they're beautiful and cute and tiny. right now i'm feeding my fishless thank to get the cycling going. i ask about algae eaters because i have a big two holed rock that seems prone to algae on it. in time i shall think about this. i wont be doing this soon....well maybe the betta bowl thing but we'll see

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 02:51 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
yay sasami to my rescue! thanks a lot woman i have a 2 gallon bowl that i was thinking of getting a filter/pump for, i know it's smaller but would a betta mind it? if you think it shouldnt then i just wont, but im curious lol. i had oto cats before and i loved them! they're beautiful and cute and tiny. right now i'm feeding my fishless thank to get the cycling going. i ask about algae eaters because i have a big two holed rock that seems prone to algae on it. in time i shall think about this. i wont be doing this soon....well maybe the betta bowl thing but we'll see
I see you already got a betta, haha . I randomly bought another one a couple months ago...it's hard to resist, huh?

A two-gallon bowl is ok for a betta as long as it's cleaned regularly, the water is tested, there's no way the fish can jump out (you want some sort of top), and the temperature stays in the mid 70's to low 80's. I can't really say I'd recommend it as a permanent home but that's really just my opinion. I've always found that they do best in actual aquariums that are at least 5-gallons . My first bettas were kept in smaller tanks and they did ok and didn't get sick but I noticed a big difference in behavior when some of them were moved to larger aquariums. Their coloration became more vivid and they seemed more active/interested in their environment. My longest-lived bettas spent at least most of their time in a tank of at least 5-gallons. The shortest-lived fish, Artemis and Keitaro, were kept in 1.5-2 gallon aquariums. Coincidence? Maybe. But if I find that something works, I tend to keep doing it .

(and yeah, I've had A LOT of bettas, haha...I kept them exclusively for a couple of years before starting to keep other species)

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

thanks for the reply lol yeah i know.....i couldn't wait, i just had to have HIM! he still seems very active and content. i'll keep an eye out on him, i can always move him to the 10 gal tank

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

Wink Betta's hehehe

I too saw my betta and had to have him two days home and already building a bubble nest. Congrats on your betta!

Hot cup of Joe

My babies
1 Dog: Huckleberry aka "Stickly Bear"
1 Cat: Kitty aka "Love Muffin"
1 Wolf Spider: JuJuBe "RIP"
1 Betta: Caeser aka "King of the 10 gal kingdom"down graded to 5 gal Kingdom lol
1 Snail: Eddy aka "Goes slow-a-lot"
1 100 gal pond to come....

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have kept bettas in 2 gallon tanks and they have lived awhile.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Newborn Pup

i dont know if this will help
but my betta is super aggressive, he bit the antennas off of each snail i put in the tank. but a way i can tell he is aggressive is if i put a pen with a cap on [just a basic pen with a pointed cap] he flares his fins and swims up to the glass to scare off the "fish" which i guess it could look like.

maybe this is specific to my betta, or maybe it will help with yours. good luck!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacki89 View Post
i dont know if this will help
but my betta is super aggressive, he bit the antennas off of each snail i put in the tank. but a way i can tell he is aggressive is if i put a pen with a cap on [just a basic pen with a pointed cap] he flares his fins and swims up to the glass to scare off the "fish" which i guess it could look like.

maybe this is specific to my betta, or maybe it will help with yours. good luck!
Just to let you know, most bettas would flare at an object like that. It's not really a sign of aggression. Even my really peaceful betta, Valentino, would flare.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Newborn Pup

oh ok!
i just figured if he gets that upset about something outside of the tank, i'd be scared to be a fishie INSIDE the tank!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 08:25 AM
RAT ADDICT

Sometimes my bettas will flare at my fingers too.I had a really peaceful betta who was living in a community tank and he ignored all the other fish,but would flare at fingers and random objects sometimes.But he was not aggressive.And he lived to about 3-4 yrs.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Newborn Pup

oh ok.
but if mine was biting off the antennas off of snails would it be safe to say he wouldnt do great with other fish?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacki89 View Post
oh ok.
but if mine was biting off the antennas off of snails would it be safe to say he wouldnt do great with other fish?
It's hard to say. Sometimes bettas don't do well with certain kinds of animals but are great with others .

Unless you have another tank available, though, it's best to stay on the safe side and house your betta singly .

~Stephanie

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, algae eater, betta fish, cherry barbs, cory cats, dwarf frogs, male betta, neon tetras