Yep. I'm not completely aquatic illiterate now but... - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

I been seeing some nice compact lighting fixtures...really nice lighting,it costs like $400 + though,i'd have to sell my soul& a lot more to afford that

I'll see how cheap I can find it on eBay.
I been seeing moonlights on eBay that you attach to the hood (part you lift to feed the fish) Think they would also be good for plant growth?

It does seem like compact lighting is the best,i'm seeing it mentioned a lot online when I search

Oh,I have the AquaClear filter now& it's my fave that I have used,i'll be sticking with it

I got a 60 watt light now.You can certainly notice the difference in how the tank shows up!
I think i'll invest in compact lighing though.

How would I add lights to the front& back? Sorry for my stupidity...but like those moonlights..?

Last edited by candyraver; 06-14-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:47 AM

We got our power compact on sale at Foster and Smith. It is a really good light and it was only $250. If you were closer you could buy our whole set up for $400 (40 gallon tank, stand, protein skimmer, lighting) since we are probably going to sell it
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
I been seeing some nice compact lighting fixtures...really nice lighting,it costs like $400 + though,i'd have to sell my soul& a lot more to afford that

I'll see how cheap I can find it on eBay.
I been seeing moonlights on eBay that you attach to the hood (part you lift to feed the fish) Think they would also be good for plant growth?

It does seem like compact lighting is the best,i'm seeing it mentioned a lot online when I search

Oh,I have the AquaClear filter now& it's my fave that I have used,i'll be sticking with it

I got a 60 watt light now.You can certainly notice the difference in how the tank shows up!
I think i'll invest in compact lighing though.

How would I add lights to the front& back? Sorry for my stupidity...but like those moonlights..?
You can get ones cheaper then $400. I got one for a 45-gallon marine tank that was less then $200 o_0. And they were T5 bulbs.

Remember, you don't need actinic bulbs like in saltwater tanks .

I don't think the moonlights would really make plants grow any better but they are really neat anyways . Especially if you have any nocturnal species in your aquarium.

AquaClears are awesome .

Most fixtures have room for multiple bulbs so the light should cover the whole tank. With power compacts they are so bright I haven't had any issues with plants not getting enough light. If they are areas that don't get as much light just stick some hardier plants there.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara8
We got our power compact on sale at Foster and Smith. It is a really good light and it was only $250. If you were closer you could buy our whole set up for $400 (40 gallon tank, stand, protein skimmer, lighting) since we are probably going to sell it
Awws!! I WiSH,I'd love to have a setup that size!!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
What kind of protein skimmer is it? I need one but I'm really picky with brands .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Similar to what I have
^^^Thats similar to what I have.Just one tube.Now I have higher wattage.
I think broadleaf saggitaria (spelling?) must be impossible to kill,because,even though I'm an idiot when it comes to lighting that plant is growing well! I have 2 in my aquarium =] No problem at all
My plants aren't doing horrible.That i'm thankful for,they must forgive me I guess& be like "meh,i'll grow for her anyway"

Drs Foster & Smith has awesome fixtures.
I have it figured out now,I was thinking I had to stick lights all over the hood (canopy...I keep calling it hood)
In my mind I was like...hmm,must add lights somehow...
I think I got it now though.
I'm investing in something on Drs Foster& Smith (need to save up a bit of $$$ though.I have to pay off a few things first )
Then I can get something perfect for my plants.
Then no more aquarium issues
Thanks guys!

[Edit] I think I really love the "Coralife Aqualight Single Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights"
& to make it completely easy for me...it's labelled Marine & Freshwater...so I can just order Freshwater! How easy is that??

Last edited by candyraver; 06-14-2007 at 06:31 PM.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
Similar to what I have
^^^Thats similar to what I have.Just one tube.Now I have higher wattage.
I think broadleaf saggitaria (spelling?) must be impossible to kill,because,even though I'm an idiot when it comes to lighting that plant is growing well! I have 2 in my aquarium =] No problem at all
My plants aren't doing horrible.That i'm thankful for,they must forgive me I guess& be like "meh,i'll grow for her anyway"

Drs Foster & Smith has awesome fixtures.
I have it figured out now,I was thinking I had to stick lights all over the hood (canopy...I keep calling it hood)
In my mind I was like...hmm,must add lights somehow...
I think I got it now though.
I'm investing in something on Drs Foster& Smith (need to save up a bit of $$$ though.I have to pay off a few things first )
Then I can get something perfect for my plants.
Then no more aquarium issues
Thanks guys!

[Edit] I think I really love the "Coralife Aqualight Single Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights"
& to make it completely easy for me...it's labelled Marine & Freshwater...so I can just order Freshwater! How easy is that??
Yeah, Drs Foster & Smith is where I got my fixture for the reef tank . They have some great stuff.

~Stephanie

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
What kind of protein skimmer is it? I need one but I'm really picky with brands .
It's a Red Sea Prizm rated up to 75 gallons. It came highly recommended to us by our fish guy
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
It's a Red Sea Prizm rated up to 75 gallons. It came highly recommended to us by our fish guy
Oh, ok. That's not quite what I'm looking for but thanks anyways .

~Stephanie

Tags
female betta, male betta, neon tetras