Yep. I'm not completely aquatic illiterate now but... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Talking Yep. I'm not completely aquatic illiterate now but...

I have one 20gal aquarium,that I don't have pics of atm,but i'll get some when I get a couple more plants in there.(waiting on more sand too )

The inhabitats at the moment are:

1 female betta
3 platys (bought yesterday )
1 pepper corydora
1 albino corydora (these aren't huge fish)

Well i'm nearing the "end of stocking" of this aquarium.
Wondering what else to get though.
I love how the platys look in the aquarium,added a bit of color.
I was looking at tetras.
Now it said some were fin nippers.
I believe the glo-lights?
So I'm considering getting neon's (if they aren't the nippy devils).
So if I got say 6 tetras.I'm all stocked up then correct? Not overstocked (which i'm trying to [email protected] all costs).

Still experimenting with filters too,GOSH?!
I don't like the current,nor do my girl betta.
So looking for a filter that'll make the water sparkle,yet can be turned down to a low current.

If I won't be overstocked I may get a snail or two too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you got 5-6 small tetras you would be fully stocked, yes. Although I don't know what filter you are using right now...?

Neon tetras are awesome. I love them . They are one of the more peaceful tetras...not as nippy as other species. Mine never seem to nip, anyways. Make sure there are plenty of plants to hide in (which I'm sure you have enough ^^). Also, you'll find that they'll have super nice coloring if you feed them foods besides flakes. I recommend feeding a variety of frozen foods . Plus then they might spawn...though your cories will most likely eat the eggs ^^;.

Have you tried the Hagen AquaClear? I think I recommended that one but I don't remember. I love them...they are the closest you can get to a canister filter without actually getting a canister filter . They are adjustable, won't get betta's fins caught, and you can stock them with whatever media you want. I actually use one for my small saltwater tank . That should give you an idea of how reliable and efficient they are, hehe.

Oh, and after adding the tetras you might be able to get a small snail but keep up on water changes and monitor your nitrates.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

The filter i'm using now (again,I took it out twice ) is the Aqua-Tech (for 20 to 40gals) that came with it
Haven't tried the Hagen AquaClear...since it wasn't at Walmart either time I checked (so I should buy online).

I got obsessed with aquarium plants...so I have a LOT now
Everytime I went to walmart I kept buying a couple trying out the dwarf lily too,that comes in the pack& you put in the water& it sprouts..& I bought more moneywort yesterday

Ah,that is great the neon tetras aren't the nippy ones.
I had my eye on those...but was short on cash so I just bought the plants& platies (which are adorable btw...I recommend people buy platies )... very peaceful fish& full of color!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Platies are great . I am down to one (now I'm not really replacing freshwater fish as they pass on so I can eventually combine all my freshwater tanks into one tank) but he's a great fish. I love how they come in so many varieties.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 03:19 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

I always thought that neons weren't nippy too, but the one's that I just got for some reason are, but only with eachother. I don't know what is up with my fish, they all hate eachother.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Eek,sorry to hear ...I still never added anything..
I'm sort of leaning on getting a couple more platies as opposed to tetras now.
I really like the platies...& tetras.So hard to choose

& I'll have an Hagen AquaClear any day now
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

what kind of lighting are you using for your plants?

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Florescent (spelling?). Not the bulbs,the ones that you plug in...it's a long tube & on it it says "Eclipse Natural Daylight".
It seems to be working well (I bought the tank @ Walmart so the hood& light came with the tank) I just recently noticed something on the top of the hood (when you flip it over) near the light...no idea what its for Don't know if it's a dimmer...?

Last edited by candyraver; 05-30-2007 at 12:37 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

if you want to grow plants make sure you use 2-3 watts per gallon otherwise the lighting will not be sufficient to grow your plants and they will rot in the end...also you might want to make sure that the whole tank is lit, front and back....one lamp will usually just cover only one part, so you may need to consider getting a second one...for a heavily planted tank you are looking at wattage anywhere from at least 40 to 60watt (60 is better for heavily planted aquariums, and it works best for me; i bet if you just got a reg fluorescent its probably around 20 watts which would be way too small to grow plants)

also, is your tank already cycled? without any added nitrogen fixing bacteria, it could take as short as 6 weeks or very long as 6 mnths (mainly due to too frequent water changes and too many fish to start off with)

ohh, and one more word of advice would be to buy a plant substrate gravel, such a flourite....but proper lighting will be the most important factor to successfully keeping your plants alive

hope this helps some, cant wait to see pics of your setup

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips! I haven't lost any plants yet,
but they aren't getting the overgrowth look i'm hoping for yet.
The light is just one long tube...to be honest seems to be just
directing light on all the middle,none in the front,or back.
Problem I'm guessing really is the wattage there.On the bulb it says "16"...looks like 16,just looks smeared,but i'm almost positive it says 16.
I remember sasami gave me pointers on the lighting in the past.
For my 10gals (when I set them up) I got higher wattages.
Do you think I should invest in a hood that will hold 2 lights? (this tube goes from one end of the top to the other) or that's fine,just get a better wattage? (I can get one this week,the one I currently have is dim now,didn't last long at all!) But I can definately get a new hood if it'll be much better.

Substrate,I actually am looking into something other than sand,I can't remember the name at the moment,I'll link to the thread I started in a second. It has the name of it there.
I asked if people had experience with that particular substrate.
& I can get it off eBay ...20lbs!!

My tank was running for awhile& I'm a Bio-Spira junkie .
So ..yes,my aquarium is cycled.My betta lived in there first,then the 2 corydoras& awhile after platies.Havent added anything other than that,except an additional dwarf lily plant =]
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/s...tml#post446708
You found the thread before I did
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

the 16 refers to the length of the tube you are using the wattage could be found on the box that the light came with (i want to say its probably 20watts), since you arent getting the overgrowth you are hoping for (how long has it been since you put your plants in the tank? maybe you havent given it time?) i would highly recommend getting another light and maybe placing one in the back and one in the front, bc if you are trying to grow plants all around and you only have the tube in the middle only the plants in the middle will grow a little and the rest around will barely make it

i have a 60 watt compact in my 20gal and i have learned that even if i put it in the middle the plants in the back dont grow well...so distributing the light all around the aquarium is the key to successful plants

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I'm guessing your probably right about it being 20 watts (I don't have the boxes anymore) but I know it's not super lighting.
Some plants I have had for 4 months +...I moved them when I upgraded to the 20gal.So I got them all at different times.
They grew well in the 10gal..then stopped.
& Surprise surprise,they haven't grown because they are towards the back

The problem is definately my lighting.
Definately
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

yeah, that proper lighting is the hardest part, in my opinion, when it comes to having a successfully grow plant tank...when you get that...then the rest is easy

you could use compact fluorescent lighting it gets the watts, they are more expensive in price, but you could also take two regular fluorescents...this way you have one for the front and back...if you could get two 30 watts that would be great (i always do 3 watts per gallon)...how many watts did your other tanks receive with the plants that were transferred into this new 20 gal? that could be useful info bc the height of the tanks wont change much so the height wont be a factor..and some plants do better at certain watts per gallon...but since you grew those so well in the other tanks...the equivalent should work in your 20gal

if you look at the pros that have these amazing tanks, they use T5 florescent lights which last for around 2 years.. but for this size tank i believe regular florescent lighting can also work, plus the watts really high, intended for higher tanks and with more gallons

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Last edited by Skratikans; 05-30-2007 at 08:48 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with Skrat...you may want to look into power compact lighting. There are fixtures that can hold two or even four bulbs . And some of them come with lunar lights which are fun to play with, lol!!!

~Stephanie

Tags
female betta, male betta, neon tetras