Degus need loving homes... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in Need Post any animals in need of rescue here. Note: This section is only for animals that are up for adoption, not for sale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Post Degus need loving homes...

We still have 4 female degus (6 months old), 2 male degus (6 months old), 2 male degus (2 years old), 1 male degu (1 year old) in our rescue who need loving homes. The females and the 2 year old boys must go in pairs or all 4 girls. We have worked extensively with them to build trust in humans again. Degus can be alot of fun and can live for up to 15 years if properly cared for. Please let us know if you have room in your hearts and homes for any of these guys and girls. They can be picked up in WHitehall, NY 12887 or Pine Plains, NY 12567. Serious inquiries only. You can see them on our available page here: http://nygerbil.com/id48.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whitehall, NY 12887 USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

I wish I could help, I so love degus but I am in the UK! Hope they all get homes soon!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I think they will all get homes, it is just a matter of when.

It is just sad to be "full" because it means that we have to say no to any other "unwanteds". We have had many degus come in and as well, we offer those who adopt from us to return an animal they have adopted from us if they can no longer or just plain do not want to care for them any more. I can't see them going to other homes or worse yet to a shelter here. Most are still kill shelters. : (

I am saddened and frustrated with the lack of understanding for the degu. They are amazing creatures which do not require a lot of upkeep. Many folks think they are going to be "cuddly" like a cat or dog and when they find out that MOST degus are not they no longer want them.

Personally I can't get enough of the little darlings. I think too that folks are a little intimidated by them and degus are VERY smart! They know what they can get away with and with whom - BUT then again I suppose that describes most little critters!

TY for the good wishes.

Whitehall, NY 12887 USA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Newborn Pup

I already have two, would you be willing to let me adopt just one, as long as it will be in with my two?

1 min pin-Shasta
3 cats-Milo, Oliver & Ojo
3 sugar gliders-Razzle & TicTac & KitKat
1 finch-Noodle
1 button quail-iPod

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

What sex are your degus again glidergirl? Because they probably, most likely, do not want them bred. I think you have 2 females right? That may help him decide...Names for your degus...how about Sugar and Pie? lol. Just some cute names seeing they don't have names yet....even though the names may be kind of weird. You need to have names for your current two if these sweeties don't come with names as your going to need to think of one for if you get one of these guys. lol.

*Corina's Critter World*

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

nygerbil I hope you can find them good homes.If I lived closer I would sneak them in my home.I say sneak cause hubby says no more pets.
Quote:
I am saddened and frustrated with the lack of understanding for the degu. They are amazing creatures which do not require a lot of upkeep. Many folks think they are going to be "cuddly" like a cat or dog and when they find out that MOST degus are not they no longer want them.
I do agree with you people don't understand much about them.They are truly amazing.Yes they are smart I have one that has figured out how to escape.So now I have it fixed where he can't get out.
I wish you lots of luck in finding them a good permanent home.to them all
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

adoption...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidergrl1513
I already have two, would you be willing to let me adopt just one, as long as it will be in with my two?
Which gender are you looking for? Two of the males are living separately from any other degus - their personalities did not click and they began fighting. They can be adopted separately. We also do have 4 girls and I could adopt just one out and have the other three go together to another home. One girl, the one missing half of her tail is a genuine sweety. She literally leaps out of her habitat onto my hand. They have all come a long way since arriving here!

Whitehall, NY 12887 USA

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt
hubby says no more pets.
Yes, I hear this from many women - It does seem that most of our degu adopters are women. I thankfully get away with quite a bit with the little ones - My honey would basically only complain if I got another cat or dog.

Whitehall, NY 12887 USA

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Our Poilcy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorinasCritters
they probably, most likely, do not want them bred.
You are correct, we do not want any of our rescues bred. The six who came in initially are all brother and sisters and their parents were brither and sister. The pet shop strikes again!!! That is why they ended up here.

Whitehall, NY 12887 USA

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Adolescent Pup

I hate when pet stores are like that !!

*Corina's Critter World*

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would love to help but I don't think my parents are going to let me have any more pets for now...plus, although I'm in NY, you guys are still really far away x_x. I would foster, but that's not what you want, right?

EDIT: I just realized that you can pick them up at Pine Plains...that's only like 45 minutes away from us.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Last edited by Sasami; 02-02-2005 at 07:10 PM.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yes, my fiance works in that area (Pine Plains, NY 12567) - But if your parents aren't going to allow more animals it is best they stay here. Degus are sensitive to moving so unless I can place them in as forever as possible home I don't move them. I also have to have a written ok or a phone conversation with parents if anyone is under 18. For the animals good.

Whitehall, NY 12887 USA

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Newborn Pup

Yup, I have 2 females. And cute names Corina! Although my mom seems hooked on naming them after famous rabbit pairs (she says their faces look like bunny faces) I would like a girl, becuase even if you did allow your rescues to be bred, I don't have room or homes for all the babies. The one with only half a tail sounds like a sweetie, and would make it easy to tell them apart (I can already tell mine apart, one was the runt of the litter, the other was the biggest) Does she have a name? lol as Corina knows, I can never think of names.

1 min pin-Shasta
3 cats-Milo, Oliver & Ojo
3 sugar gliders-Razzle & TicTac & KitKat
1 finch-Noodle
1 button quail-iPod

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Our degu girl with the half tail has been called Dolly - I almost never name rescues as people change names when they adopt them and it is more confusing for the animals. She got her name because she is as cute as a doll and it is habit to walk into the room and see her hopping to come out to play and I say "Hello Dolly."

Whitehall, NY 12887 USA

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 08:47 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Several months ago I was really looking hard for degus, but that never worked out, and a promise from one fellow never came to be, so no degus. So I added GP's and others. No room right now. But I have been fascinated by them ever since I watched them up close at the Bronx Zoo, and posted those photos online.

I am in Brooklyn, NY. Some day in the future, degus for me.
Keep in touch via private message if you have some others in the future. You never can tell.

Everyone check out www.degus.org.

Tags
pet shop, pet store, pet stores