Fonzie - shot and left to die - can you help? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in Need Post any animals in need of rescue here. Note: This section is only for animals that are up for adoption, not for sale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Fonzie - shot and left to die - can you help?

Please read Fonzie's story:
(Warning, graphic pictures!)
http://tricountyanimalrescue.net/fonzie.aspx

This kitty sort of belongs to a co-worker of mine (she's the Angie in the story) and she's just heart broken that someone could do this.

Here's his story from the site:
Quote:
Hi my name is "Fonzie" or "Fonz" for short Iíve never been one to complain, but I would like to take a moment to introduce myself, and tell you about the week Iíve had- in hopes that someone may lend a helping hand.

Ok- they tell me that I am a two year old, male neutered, domestic short-hair (whatever that means)- if itís the same thing as a loving little boy in the hospital with "special needs" that "deserves a second chance at life" then thatís me!

Read on to understand......

A brief rundown of my little life so far: I was born under a porch on a cold wintry night, in Denver, North Carolina (my mommy had no other place to go). I donít know how, but we survived an entire year and a half (me, mom, and my two sisters) until we were able to find Angieís porch-which I remember being much more cozy and promising. Later I heard that she had food out for us for a long time, after she heard about us from the neighbors. Huh! Who knew!? So to make it short, she became our "foster mom" and cared for us deeply- with the promise that one day we would all have good homes.

So first, mom went- to an elderly couple that wanted a companion. We hear she is doing well. My two sisters found a home next- together, and are also doing well! I was next!!! Angie loved me sooo much that she tried to take me into her own home. However, her own cats (as expected) did not agree, despite my numerous attempts to win their friendship. So I continued to live happily on her porch- with my own bed, food, water, and love- how great that has been!!

Well, last Monday, May the 2nd was a day that I will never forget. I decided to take a stroll out into the woods, which I normally didnít do. Many things from this point on are a blur- but from what I remember, there was a loud noise, and I think I blacked out.

When I woke up- my lower jaw hurt really bad. I headed back to my porch thinking I needed to get some sleep and this would be ok soon. But when Angie came home, she seemed very concerned and tried to put me in this big carrier!! I ran, because I donít know what you have heard, but the boys in the neighborhood have had some scary trips in those things- to a place they refer to as the "VET"!!! The only trip in the carrier I had ever had was when I was well, and that was bad enough... so I knew I did not want any part of this! I was sure that I could just sleep this off. So I took a week away for myself to try and relax, in hopes that I could get back on my feet. Well I started to get really hungry and my pain wasnít going away- so I decided to go back to my porch. I arrived about 5am on Tuesday morning, May 10 to find Angieís mom and dad (whom I have come to know as grandma and grandpa) hanging out drinking their coffee like every morning. I walked up and said Hey Guys! (they heard more like meow meow or something)- but boy were they surprised to see me!!! They offered me food right away of course, and I tried to eat- but something just wasnít right. They immediately woke Angie. She was so happy to see me, but still had that concerned look that moms get. So of course she grabbed that carrier again, and grandpa helped her put me in it. I didnít fight at this point because I was now thinking- maybe I should get this checked.

She drove me to this place she called "work" and assured me she would take care of me. Yey! I knew she would. However, I myself think this was the "VET" but she didnít want to tell me. Once I arrived, this person they referred to as "Doctor" looked at me really closely and said that I "only had a quarter of my lower jaw" but he also said that I "still had a chance at life". I wasnít sure what that meant, but everyone was crying so I figured it was bad. Im a fighter though, so I never once thought about giving up.

So this "Doctor" person took some x-rays and found that someone had actually shot me. With a real gun. Can you believe that!? I never bother anyone... Well the good thing is that I do have a chance. I showed them all how strong I am- I walked around the clinic and distributed my love to the people they called "techs". To look at me from afar, you would never know anything was wrong..... except for the fact that I lost a little weight while I was gone. Well despite my attempts to ease Angieís worries- I was still the subject of the day.

I heard her talking and making plans for me. My blood work, they said, checked out "A- OK" whatever that meant, and I had a "clean bill of health other than the jaw injury". So they cleaned me up, and inserted what they call a "feeding tube" so that I wont have to chew my food right now- and I can still get the nutrients I need to make me stronger for surgery on Thursday! Surgery..... Youch!! That is scary, but Angie said she will be with me, and they are going to do some "reconstructive things" then hopefully I will be able to eat soft food afterwards.

If I can eat on my own, Angie has made arrangements with Jo Ann from Tri-County Rescue, and also a lady by the name of Susan . They have agreed to help me out after surgery and give me the care I need, as well as collect donations to pay my bills. And I may need to go to a facial reconstruction surgeon. I heard someone say that I had "guardian angels" I think they also are referring to Angie, Jo Ann, and Susan- and the loving people around me referred to as "techs" and "doctors". Angie says guardian angels are also the people out there in the world that will be willing to help me once they read my story. So there it was- in a nutshell. And like I said, Im a happy go lucky Fonz- I have special needs now, and I am looking for more "happy days" in my life. Any contributions or help would be greatly appreciated by many, as well as myself. I am expected to have a good quality of life after all of this is over, but I may not be as attractive as other cats. PLEASE... Im the Fonz- and I am quite a handsome man if I do say so myself.

I am including pictures of myself before my accident, with my injury, and I will take more after surgery. Please donít let the sight bother you. I look better after being cleaned up, and I will look much better after my surgery on Thursday!!!

Thanks to all that can help, God bless you all, and keep the prayers coming!!!!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 05:33 PM

OMG how could someone be so cruel. Count me in for a donation. Give Fonz a big hug for us Steph
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

He's getting plenty of love and scratches, that's for sure.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

How can people be so cruel. We are totally broke right now, and I'd love to donate but I know Alex would kill me, but I will be sending lots and lots lots of healing vibes Fonzie's way. Please keep us updated on Fonzie's progress Steph. What's going to happen to him once he has healed and can go home? Will he be an outdoor cat again?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think she's hoping that he'll be adopted as an inside kitty - she mentioned the rescue group looking for a home after the reconstructive surgeries were over. I know Angie's tried several times to keep him indoors but he wasn't tolerated by her other cats whatsoever. She's very much pro-indoor habitats for kitties. I'd bet she wasn't able to find a home for him prior to this or she'd have adopted him out as she did his mother and two siblings.

Stephanie

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Yeah I read how her cats wouldn't tolerate him that's why I was asking. I can only imagine how hard it will be for her to say goodbye once he does find his permanent home, after everything he has gone through. I wasn't asking cause I thought she was in the wrong or anything like that! Just wanted to clear that up.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:39 PM

OMG *sob* How in the world can people be so cruel.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

My heart is broken looking at those pics. I can not imagine someone could be so cruel. My heart goes out to Fonzie and all involved. I wish I had some cash I could send

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

That is just so sad.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:07 PM

I just don't understand. I cannot believe someone is so cruel hearted as to hurt a loving, living animal. I'm going to try and send what I can.

I hope this kitty makes it and has a loving home to go to soon! Hopefully, he gets nothing but love from now on! I would take him if NC wasn't so far from here.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:06 PM

That is so terrible! Why would someone shoot a kitty? Fonz is so adorable though, I love the last pics of him eating.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:08 PM

Steph how is Fonzie doing today? Did they do his surgery?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

He's doing pretty well. They placed a feeding tube so he wouldn't have to try to eat on his own. The surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. I was just talking to him a bit ago - he was meowing in reply.

Stephanie

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:22 PM

I thought the surgery was today, I am sorry... When you go back into check on him give him a few kisses for me. He is in our thoughts and prayers.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think it originally was, I'm not sure why they pushed it back.

Will do.

Stephanie

Tags
outdoor cat